December 2015 Moms
Options

FTM please help, sterilizing bottles

I decided to clean a few bottles to have ready just in case baby comes soon. I have the Tommee Tippee closer to nature which are BPA free. I popped them in the dishwasher with "high heat" and "sanitizing rinse" setting but no heat dry as I read it's better to let them air dry. They looked fine but after re-reading the instructions and extensive Google search it seems like the dishwasher may not actually sterilize so I should have boiled them first then used the dishwasher to clean them ? Ok so after they dried I put them in a pot of boiling water for 10 mins but now all the parts are super cloudy with a white film that does not rub off. Now what do I do? Are they still safe to use? This is all so complicated.. I try to do the best for baby and seems like I end up screwing everything up!

Re: FTM please help, sterilizing bottles

• Options
    We used advent last time and they have a microwave steam sterilizer. Plan on using that again this time. Now I'm just trying to figure out what breast pump to buy.
  • Options
    lablover920lablover920 member
    edited December 2015
    Using the same bottles. I just boiled a pot of water and put the bottles, nipples & covers right in the water for like 10 minutes each. No discoloring or cloudiness on mine. I am wondering if the plastic started to melt?? Not sure...sorry I'm not really any help. Maybe call Tommee Tippee and ask?

*edit- minutes not seconds. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Actually 3 of the bottles are Tommee Tippee and 1 is a Phillips Avent I received as a sample. They all have the white film on bottles, nipples and caps. I have a load of dishes in the dishwasher but as soon as they're done I'm popping the bottles back in to see if that does anything. If not will be calling manufacturers. I'll be back to update in case anyone has the same issue.
  • Options
    I ran into this with my first kiddo and figured out if I used distilled water for boiling that I didn't get the residue. I live in an area that is known for having a lot of minerals in the tap water. Maybe that will help clear up the cloudiness? Best wishes!!!
  • Options
    Like @jksavers I found using filtered water works better. We have hard water and it leaves a residue on everything. We've use Tommy Tippee and it wouldn't come off easily with scrubbing but some areas (nipples especially) rubbing with my fingers and warm soapy water helped. I also let the bottles soak in hot soapy water and then went over them with a bottle brush and got it all off.

One of hubby's water bottles and one of DS's sippy cups did something similar. We soaked them both in vinegar before washing and that helped as well.
  • Options
    Yes, I agree with pp about soaking them in white distilled vinegar if you're left with a residue.
  • Options
    redfallonredfallon member
    edited December 2015
    We never put bottles in the dishwasher. We use the Munchkin microwave sterilizer bags to sterilize and otherwise wash them by hand and air dry on a drying mat. We used Avent Naturals with DD.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I let all my parts soak in hot soapy water, then scrub with the Doc Brown bottle brush and then put them in the Avent steamer and run them in the microwave. We use Medela bottles.
  • Options
    Hopefully someone can help me out... I have tons of bottles and things that I would like to get ready for baby who is due in two weeks.

Most of my Medela Bottles and nipples and pump parts are brand new, but some are gently used by my cousin and her baby. How should I go about cleaning and or sterilizing them for me to use. I do not have the sterilizing bags handy and I do not love our dishwasher. (It's kind of an old basic model as we are in a rented apartment.)

If I get the sterilization bags, do I need to still wash them before or after with hot soapy water?

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    @kbmuti wash them before you sterilize.
  • Options
    @kbmuti whether brand new or gently used (I'm a STM and treat the stuff I used with my first the same as stuff I've gotten brand new) pre-wash with hot soapy water before you sterilize and wash with hot soapy water again after. The first wash removes any dust or debris that may be present before you sterilize and can help prevent clouding on plastic bottles. The second wash I would only skip if there's a need to have everything sterile.

Personally I boil everything for five minutes to sterilize it. I use filtered water because my tap water is hard (a reason why I wash after) and boil in a large stock pot.

I hope that helps answer your question.
  • Options
    Oops I never came back and updated. So to remove hard water from the bottles I that had boiled in tap water, I wiped every inch using a solution of two parts distilled water to one part vinegar. That cleared the cloudiness right up. I then washed in hot soapy water to remove any vinegar smell. And just because I have OCD, I then reboiled them in distilled water to sterilize once more. And lastly I popped them in the dishwasher (it's pretty new) for a final cleaning. Needless to say they don't look brand new any more but they are certainly clean and not at all cloudy.