June 2016 Moms
Options

Kids and Christmas presents

This has been weighing on my mind all day. So, I've tried to look up articles and other boards on this issue but found none so here I go.

DH and I are minimal. We give eachother a handful for gifts each year with a budget and do the same for our families but we couldn't help but notice how spoiled kids are these days. Getting like 20-30 gifts to unwrap each year. We plan on keeping Christmas small for our kids cause we don't want it to turn into a situation where they expect to get everything they've ever wanted. As nice as that would be for anyone it would create a monster, as DH and I have witness with my young cousins. Every year we see them getting things like iPhones, tons of toys, gaming systems and they are ages 9-16. And they never seem to be happy about what they get no matter how big. When we were that age we got a handful of gifts and it was mostly things much more practical.

Now, to moms who already have kids, how do you deal with the expectation of gift giving with your kids and deal with the other kids at school bragging about their iPhones and xboxes?

Re: Kids and Christmas presents

• Options

I like to give my son (8) one big ticket item per year. That way I feel like he gets that special gift that he really wanted, yet he doesn't expect to get everything under the sun. I hated Xmas growing up because my parents would always make us write to Santa and then none of us would ever get what we asked for. I know, first world problem - and my parents did the best they could - but as a child, it was immensely disappointing year after year.

So, yeah - I just find a happy medium. He gets a big 'must have' gift, and then he gets a scattering of other presents that he likes and is excited about - but that don't break the bank. I still think he's not quite old enough to be super influenced by 'stuff' his peers have. I figure maybe closer to 10 is when we'll start getting into that.

And my two year old will just be happy tearing open wrapping paper.

• Options
    I have a similarly themed question that probably isn't worth starting a new thread? Hopefully that's okay.

My mom was one of those mom's you're talking about that got us literally whatever we wanted which was great until I got older and realized that every Christmas my parents were fighting about how much money my mom spent. Even now that I'm 24, she still spends in excess of $1,000 on each kid and there's 5 of us, plus now my husband! Am I grateful? Of course. Do I use/need/want half of the stuff I get? Absolutely not.

H and I don't want this for our child and even with me being only 11 weeks along, my mom has already bought an abundance of stuff. She flipped out when my MIL bought me a baby thermometer and showed up to my house the next day with a bag FULL of baby clothes. I feel like the entire of life of this child is going to be a competition of grandma trying to buy better stuff than mommy and daddy.

How would you make it clear that there needs to be a limit?

To kind of answer your question, once I realized how expensive some of the things were that we got as I got older, I understood why my dad got so upset with my mom spending like she did. He had to work hard to buy 5 kids those brand new things on Christmas. I think teaching kids the value of money and how only hard work earns money might help curb their expectations... without allowing them to worry about a lack of money.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just don't.  That's it.  And honestly, even if you keep it simple yourself, if you have family around, and with school parties, etc., they end up with lots of gifts.  I do a couple of gifts from Santa, and then, since my kids are January bdays, for the past several years I've planned big trips and that was their big Christmas gift, big bday gift and bday party rolled into one.  They love it, we've been to great places, and they have experiences instead of loads of crap.  Plus, I also get to enjoy it:)  One year, rather than a trip for my son, I took him, his cousin &  a friend to a Broadway play & for pizza in the city, instead of a party & bday presents. 

I think your attitude will largely dictate how your kids feel - meaning envious, sorry for themselves, etc.  My kids know that in our family elementary school kids don't get phones, there's no weekday screen time other than homework, the iPad belongs to the family, not them and they have to ask to use it, etc.  We do other stuff, each family has different rules & priorities, and that's it.  Aside from the very sporadic & short-lived mope, there's been no issues.  My kids are almost 11 & 9. 
  • Options
    My DH and I are pretty counter-cultural when it comes to Christmas (and birthdays, etc). We want to instill thankfulness, gratitude and the awareness of those who are less fortunate than we are. We believe that Christmas is about Jesus' birth and not gifts; however, we do a Want/Need/Wear/Read system for gifts. That way, the kids are getting gifts, but it's not overwhelming. E.G- For this year, we got amazing deals on a Kindle Fire for each of them (they're almost 8 and 6), and we'll use the parental controls to set time limits. They love minecraft and reading, so this will be their Want gift. We also got them each their own Bible for their Read gift. We know grandparents and aunts/uncles will still get them more than we'd like, but we can't control that.

I think it's totally how you set up your family and starting these traditions (whatever you'd like them to be) young will solidify how you want to see these things play out over the lifetime of your family.

In our neighborhood, their are a couple families who buy their kids every single thing they want and more. We've had lots of talks with our kids about how our family doesn't operate that way, and there are families who do, but that doesn't make them bad. We talk about gratitude a lot and use that as framework to explain why we do things the way we do. A lot of it has stemmed from the fact that I SAHM until the kids were in school, so our discretionary spending was almost nil until a couple years ago...but again, that's how we've established our family and me staying home was more important than stuff.

I could go on, but I'll refrain :)
  • Options
    I have a similarly themed question that probably isn't worth starting a new thread? Hopefully that's okay. My mom was one of those mom's you're talking about that got us literally whatever we wanted which was great until I got older and realized that every Christmas my parents were fighting about how much money my mom spent. Even now that I'm 24, she still spends in excess of $1,000 on each kid and there's 5 of us, plus now my husband! Am I grateful? Of course. Do I use/need/want half of the stuff I get? Absolutely not. H and I don't want this for our child and even with me being only 11 weeks along, my mom has already bought an abundance of stuff. She flipped out when my MIL bought me a baby thermometer and showed up to my house the next day with a bag FULL of baby clothes. I feel like the entire of life of this child is going to be a competition of grandma trying to buy better stuff than mommy and daddy. How would you make it clear that there needs to be a limit? To kind of answer your question, once I realized how expensive some of the things were that we got as I got older, I understood why my dad got so upset with my mom spending like she did. He had to work hard to buy 5 kids those brand new things on Christmas. I think teaching kids the value of money and how only hard work earns money might help curb their expectations... without allowing them to worry about a lack of money.
    I had this issue with my ex-MIL.  She had a shopping problem, and buying "stuff" was love.  I told her gently, then firmly, that the kids didn't need that much stuff.  Eventually, I just started giving the stuff away, brand new, with tags.  If she asked about something, I'd say - honestly - we have more than we can use, so we give the excess to the thrift shop. 

You may never change their behavior, but you can change feeling as though you're obliged to warehouse, organize & clean everything.
  • Options
    Oh, and if there is a specific thing you need or would like, tell mom.  And that might be a time to underscore - she has plenty of dresses/toys/room decorations, but could really use a snowsuit.  Then you'll get something you need and she'll feel appreciated.
  • Options
    My mom likes to buy our daughter a lot of stuff. This year I asked her to buy experiences instead. So we are getting a zoo membership, a membership to a children's museum, and swim lessons for my daughter.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • Options
    H and I get DS about 4 gifts he'd like (puzzles, board games, and one toy) we also get him 2 outfits and a few books. Which he is perfectly happy with. And I don't mind because it's all learning idems except for his one toy. He seems to have lots to open Christmas morning and loves everything always. As soon as we have opened gifts we eat breakfast and go to his playroom and he has to choose a toy (that is in good condition) to donate to a less fortunate child. He's 4 we started this last year when he was old enough understand. I feel as if it makes him appreciate what he has gotten.
  • Options
    We have my daughter clean out her room every holiday season and make a donate pile. It's a process and sometimes it's hard for her to let go, but we help her understand the importance of helping the community and less fortunate children. She goes to a Christian school so Christmas is really about celebrating Jesus's birth for her, we don't go to church but believe it's important to have a strong foundation to build upon. That being said some people like her biological jerk I mean doner I mean dad? (he hasn't tried to see her in over 4 years) always sends a box full of toys. We are talking overkill trying to pretend like he's around or something. And so with those we (DH came up with this) hand out from our elf on the shelf as rewards for chores, perfect scores on spelling tests, helpful kind behavior etc- with the option to donate to another child that may be less fortunate if she already has it or doesn't really like it (her bio has no idea what she's like or in to) or we save it to re gift later in the year to a friend. DH and I have also come to follow the want/need/read/wear idea. And stockings are stuffed with a treat or Two and new tooth brushes, tights, hair ties etc. my parents get each grand kid a practical and useful gift ie life jackets, camel paks for hiking, but they all get the same. And DH parents get her a game and something fun that's not a normal gift. Last year she got a toaster for the camp fire . Lol I honestly had no idea what it was until DH explained it. But back to my point, if some other kid is bragging we just say good for them, we hope they understand how fortunate they are and go about our own life happily.
  • Options
    hellomommashellomommas member
    edited November 2015
    I was by all accounts "spoiled" growing up when it came to Christmas time--- mostly because my parents were divorced and so we had "separate" Christmases. ( we would wake up and open presents at 1 house and then walk down the street and open a bunch more-- then go to my grandmas house and open a bunch MORE)... It was always super exciting to see the rooms filled with wrapping paper. My dad bought us game systems and jewelry--- my mom wrapped things like toothbrushes and tampons. Hahah! Now looking back, maybe they just bought us more stuff to unwrap so they could each "have" us longer on Christmas morning!

ANYWHO... Somehow- maybe it's a miracle--- my brothers and I were actually really thankful kids and leaned to be very generous kids. My parents always modeled using our things to bless others or even give our things to others if we saw a need. They seemed to teach us celebrate lavishly- and it wasn't just material. We always had a large mix of family friends/neighbors without family/ and relatives at our home for Christmas dinner. And with all the material involved... I STILL somehow treasured singing "silent night" with my family at church on Christmas Eve to candle-light. And today Jesus really IS what I treasure most in my everyday life... So my parents did something right!

I think I am sharing all this to say: don't assume if you or your children are given much, it means their heart is spoiled too. It really is about the heart. Materials CAN spoil attitudes and distract... But not always. Here is what I want to do with my kids:

1. November: pack boxes with my kids for Operation Christmas Child. Starts the season with giving.

2. Christmas week. Gather toys that are still in great condition. Clean them up/new batteries--- donate them to a children's home with personal letters from my kids wishing them a merry Christmas. Maybe add some cookies and caroling in there.

3. Also Christmas week: take each child to buy a gift for each other child. (I'm talking dollar store- until they are older) . My brothers and I did this and it focused us on surprising each other with what we had to give.

4. Finally: gifts for them?
    1 thing they want
    1 thing to read
    1 experience (dance lessons/skateboard camp) etc.
    stocking full of necessities like toothbrush, hair ties, nail clippers, etc
  • Options
    I'm very frugal, and don't buy a lot of "stuff" for my kids, but I love giving them some gifts at Christmas. I usually do a combination if makeung some gifts, getting expensive things used, and getting things tht they need. For example, this year I'm getting a nice but used wagon for the kids, making them a dress up box, and getting new bike helmets, books, and a couple clothing pieces. I'll also get them each one thing they really want (a science set for ds and a stuffed animal for dd). I'm not spending muh money, but I feel like it's a good ballence.

I just make sure that our focus leading up to Christmas is gifts for others not for themselves. They will love their gifts, but when they are also excited about giving it helps avoid the spoiling factor and create greater gratitude.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We do it for ours the same way both of our parents did it(we grew up in different countries but still had the same type traditions).
    We got one big thing and several smaller things. This year we bought a wooden swing set for DS ($350) and several smaller gifts totaling around $100-$150. Usually we spend around $200 (on each kid) but we want the swing set for us as much as him so we have something to do with him and the baby outside. Our kids wont get everything they want, the same way we didn't. If my children even once act ungrateful when they're given a gift, there will be serious consequences.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Girl you just get them one big ticket item a year and a few things from the dollar stores. All year I scan clearance racks, if it looks like a potential gift, I buy it. At the end of the year I always have a box full in my closet. It breaks up the final cost, too.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    june2016babyjune2016baby member
    edited December 2015
    A co-worker once told me that she buys her kids three things each, (as baby Jesus got three gifts.) I thought it was silly. But after the second child, we started to do the same. I do also buy about 5 stocking stuffers for each kid.

Because I don't do many gifts at Christmas, I give them a few things at V-day and Easter too.

I worry a lot about spoiling my kids. I know that we have more money than our friends and family, and don't want our kids to have more possessions, despite being able to afford it. I think a nice family vacation making memories together is a better use of our money.

My son will ask why his friends have a phone (or whatever item,) and he doesn't. So he does realize that he's getting less than other people he knows. But I don't think it would be wise of us to buy our kids a lot. If they would get used to having everything, what happens when they're on their own and can't afford all the things they got used to? (The answer is probably a lot of credit card debt!)
  • Options
    PBear93 said:

My mom likes to buy our daughter a lot of stuff. This year I asked her to buy experiences instead. So we are getting a zoo membership, a membership to a children's museum, and swim lessons for my daughter.

This is such a great idea. Memories instead of stuff.