February 2016 Moms
Options

Racing heart and short of breath

I feel like I can feel my heartbeat all over my body.. and it feels hard to breathe
Like someone is sitting on my chest. My head feels kinda congested so idk if I am getting sick or what... does your pulse raise and get stronger during pregnancy? I've had my heart checked and they said everything is fine. So idk what the deal is.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    It honestly sounds like a panic attack. Try to calm yourself down and take deep breaths and see if that helps. Anxiety can really mess with your mind to make you think you have a lot of physical issues. Mine included faster heart rate, feeling like my throat is closing, hard to breathe, hard to swallow, feeling like I'm going to pass out/die/lost control. It's not something to mess with though, so perhaps speak to your doctor about it being a possibility... You do have a lot going on that would be justifiable to have panic attacks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah it's normal and it's not fun. Try to relax when you can. I've been getting really short of breath even when I mildly exert myself. I have a very sorry torso so everything is crammed together. It sucks! I had a similar issue with my last pregnancy. I was out of breath and it was lasting a long time and made my heart rate increase. Not to a dangerous level but enough to be uncomfortable and it wouldn't let up even after laying down awhile. I ended up going to the hospital and it was nothing.

• Options
    I have been getting short of breath easily too now that baby is starting to encroach on my diaphragm. I've also had anxiety attacks before when I couldn't breath like I thought I should. It might be some combination of the two, but if it happens regularly or you are still concerned then I would talk to your doc.
  • Options
    It's pretty normal - the shortness of breath at least. Whenever I bend over to put on shoes, pick something up, or tend to my toddler (so like 600 times a day) I feel like the wind has been knocked out of me. I remember this from last pregnancy.
  • Options
    I agree with @egraves4 I get panic attacks and have anxiety as well. Hers sound just like mine. I'd definitely mention it to your doctor. It took 3 months after I had DD for me to get the correct diagnosis of anxiety/panic attacks and not PPD. It was not a fun time
  • Options
    I've been experiencing this as well. I went to the doc and they have me an inhaler to help. It helps but doesn't make it go away unfortunately. I suggest calling your doc and seeing what they say to help, good luck!
    Married: 8/25/12
    Started TTC: 1/1/14
    BFP: 6/1/15
    Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

• Options
    mallrat147mallrat147 member
    edited November 2015
    Definitely mention it to your doctor, it is normal but it could also be iron deficiency anemia. My doctor prescribed me iron pills.
  • Options
    I agree about the panic attacks. I get them and it sounds similar. I also agree about the anemia... when im anemic the symptoms mimic anxiety and can even trigger panic attacks in me. I keep a bottle of floradix iron and herbs liquid supplement in the fridge and take it when i start feeling anemic... it's pretty great stuff, doesn't constipate you either.
  • Options
    This describes me exactly, and the Dr just called today and said I was anemic. I agree, the symptoms are similar to anxiety and it's so hard to breathe. Starting iron supplements today... Maybe your Dr can test you soon for anemia to rule that out, hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    I had the same happen with my son. I was haveing panick attacks my doctor told me to take benadryl if i got them again. Its not fun i was so scared when it first happened. I felt my blood rush threw out my whole body and i got really red and started to cough cause i couldnt breath. It lasted for like 30 seconds then just went away.
  • Options
    I had all of these symptoms as well and found out yesterday I was anemic! I also just started my iron supplements today! ❤️
  • Options
    I have been having these symptoms too.. At my apt yesterday I got referred to cardiology