Trouble TTC

Clomid for low P

So after an endometrial biopsy, it was discovered I have a luteal phase defect caused by what my doc said is low progesterone. Having temped for almost a year, I know I do in fact ovulate, but not until day 21-23 (on average) so my doc put me on clomid 50mg to try for 3 cycles. She said that the clomid will help me ovulate with a stronger follicle, and that would in turn make my body naturally produce more progesterone. Has anyone been put on clomid for this reason? Wouldn't it stand to reason to put me on progesterone instead, or maybe in addition to the clomid? I've read that clomid can thin the lining of the uterus, which is completely counter-productive if low progesterone does the same thing. I just wonder if I'm wasting my time with the clomid.

Re: Clomid for low P

• Clomid should make you ovulate sooner, which would lengthen your luteal phase. You're seeing an RE, correct? Are you being monitored? I would definitely encourage doing so so that you aren't wasting your time.

I usually have an 8 day LP...I did Clomid with a trigger shot to make me ovulate early. Then I'll go back in day 21 for a progesterone test. Hope that helps!
    Me: 31  DH: 32  Dx: Unexplained
    TTC #1 off and on since 2010
    11/15 - Clomid + TI = BFN
    12/15 - Clomid + TI = BFN
    1/16 - Clomid + IUI = BFN
    2/16 - Clomid + IUI = BFN
    4/16 - Follistim + IUI = BFN
    5/16 - 11/16 - Life / WTFing / Pity Party / Saving $
    1/17 - IVF #1 (Fresh Transfer / 6 frosties) = BFN
    3/17 - FET.... BFP! EDD 11/29
  • No I am only seeing an ob/gyn as that's where I have to start with my insurance. It's only just been one year of trying. And she is not monitoring me because my insurance will not pay for any type of fertility testing or treatment. So it's like we're flying blind which is extremely frustrating
  • Loading the player...
  • I know a lot of other women will echo my sentiment here: you really should be seeing an RE. One year of trying is what is recommended before seeing an RE, so it sounds like you're ready to take that next step (especially if you've already had testing done that shows you have underlying issues). Have you done other tests as well, such as a sperm analysis and an HSG? Clomid can cause cysts so really you could be doing more harm to your body than good being unmonitored. Unfortunately most insurance companies don't cover infertility, which makes this journey even more stressful. We are paying everything out of pocket so we are putting back every spare penny we have. I know it's tempting to take the cheapest route, but please consider seeing an RE so that you are doing everything the safest way possible.
    Me: 31  DH: 32  Dx: Unexplained
    TTC #1 off and on since 2010
    11/15 - Clomid + TI = BFN
    12/15 - Clomid + TI = BFN
    1/16 - Clomid + IUI = BFN
    2/16 - Clomid + IUI = BFN
    4/16 - Follistim + IUI = BFN
    5/16 - 11/16 - Life / WTFing / Pity Party / Saving $
    1/17 - IVF #1 (Fresh Transfer / 6 frosties) = BFN
    3/17 - FET.... BFP! EDD 11/29
  • I was really hoping that when I went to my ob she'd refer me to an RE. But she didn't. She wanted to try this for 3 months. I've been pregnant 2 times, both of which ended in mc (one last year, one almost 7 years ago) so she didn't recommend an hsg. My husband went to the urologist but never went through with the SA after I was diagnosed, his doc pretty much convinced him it was my problem. Soooo here we are. I feel stuck. I feel like just giving up because I don't have endless funds for this and nothing is covered.
  • riveridgionalriveridgional member
    edited November 2015
    So, it's not really true that because you will O earlier, your LP will be longer. An LP is an average of 14 days regardless of when you O. Your LP may be longer because, yes. Clomid can give you a stronger O which in turn can amp up your progesterone level. I believe it helps increase the size of the corpus luteum, which triggers your body to produce estrogen. Honestly, yes, it is strange she would Rx you Clomid for a low progesterone level. It seems to be adding unnecessary risks if low progesterone is your only issue. I would request a progesterone test for 7 days after you O to ensure it's even helping you in the area. Most REs will put you on progesterone no matter what as it can't hurt. Those that don't will definitely test you progesterone level post-O. If this round doesn't work, I highly recommend switching to an RE.

Especially with your prior MCs, it is especially important to ensure proper progesterone support. An RE will also monitor much more closely after a BFP and ensure any medication needed is given at its first indication. Good luck!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • So, it's not really true that because you will O earlier, your LP will be longer. An LP is an average of 14 days regardless of when you O. Your LP may be longer because, yes. Clomid can give you a stronger O which in turn can amp up your progesterone level. I believe it helps increase the size of the corpus luteum, which triggers your body to produce estrogen. Honestly, yes, it is strange she would Rx you Clomid for a low progesterone level. It seems to be adding unnecessary risks if low progesterone is your only issue. I would request a progesterone test for 7 days after you O to ensure it's even helping you in the area. Most REs will put you on progesterone no matter what as it can't hurt. Those that don't will definitely test you progesterone level post-O. If this round doesn't work, I highly recommend switching to an RE.

Especially with your prior MCs, it is especially important to ensure proper progesterone support. An RE will also monitor much more closely after a BFP and ensure any medication needed is given at its first indication. Good luck!

Thank you. I just got af and did refill my rx this time. However, after the new year I'm going to do my homework, find out what precisely my insurance will cover and find an RE. I don't like that my dr. Was just like, "here, take this" when it's already been confirmed what I know: it's a progesterone problem. Thanks for your reply.
  • I'm going to have to echo was the PPs said before me.  OB/GYNs are not properly trained at helping people get pregnant.  Their specialty is different, and from what I've heard they are very quick to prescribe clomid to just about everyone having difficult with TTC.  I know it's a lot to handle financially, especially if paying OOP, but at least you will be getting the care that you need, which will hopefully lead to a much quicker pregnancy, and thus hopefully making it as little OOP as possible.  Best of luck!!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Hi there, I also have no insurance coverage. I found an RE that was running a special for uninsureds so we were able to get labs, u/s, hsg & semen analysis for $600. Also I am seeing an acupuncturist who helped with the clomid. My ob-gym didn't offer an u/s due to my lack of insurance but it was only $200 cash and I asked for one - she was completely agreeable. Finally I agree with the above comments regarding blood work 7 days after ovulation (vs on day 21 that they like to do- this doesn't work for my long cycles!)
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion