May 2016 Moms

Blogger Moms

I know I have read that a couple of people on here maintain blogs. I thought it would be fun to share ideas on what has worked for you and we can bounce ideas off of each other for increasing traffic, enlarging readership, etc.   :)

I'm going to post a few questions here to start it off, but by no means feel like you have to answer them. 

-What type of blog is it? (mom, fashion, fitness, career, etc.?)

-What website do you use to host? (wordpress, weebly, etc.)

-How often do you post/create original content?

-How many readers do you have? How do you attract readers/ advertise your blog?

-How do you monetize your site?

Re: Blogger Moms

• -What type of blog is it? (mom, fashion, fitness, career, etc.?)
    I have a weird blog in that it's about me being a mom, loving books/teaching, and also being a waitress and bartender. I wanted to branch out and write about many different parts of my life instead of cramming myself into a little box. I'll see how it works out. I'm only two months into it. 

I started with Wordpress.com, not realizing there was a .org, I'm such a newb. I just moved to Weebly because I was more familiar with their editor and am so much more comfortable now.

I'd like to every other day, but it has been once or twice a week lately

I have about 200 readers, but I need to get them subscribed by email instead of just fb...I'd also like to do a newsletter by email in the future

Right now I am an Amazon affiliate. I've earned $5 so far. Be jealous... It's more of a hobby for me right now that I enjoy, but I would love to have it actually be a source of income in the future. I want to expand advertising if I expand my readers. 
  • I actually meant to respond to this when you posted it but was waiting for the laptop to be available.....and then forgot. lol

-What type of blog is it? (mom, fashion, fitness, career, etc.?)  frugal living with some parenting thrown in

-What website do you use to host? (wordpress, weebly, etc.)  self-hosted Wordpress

-How often do you post/create original content?  used to be 2x/week. I took a blogging break after my miscarriage and right as I found out I was pregnant again. I just got so tired and worn out as well as stressed. I'm having a really hard time getting back into it as life is still crazy.

-How many readers do you have? How do you attract readers/ advertise your blog?  I'm not sure what you are asking. Like e-mail subscribers or FB fans or what? I have 354 FB fans right now but only 65 e-newsletter subscribers. Used to do a lot of link parties to bring in new readers but it just got to be too much for me. Pinterest is a big source of traffic for me when I use it.

-How do you monetize your site? AdSense, random affiliates, Izea for paid tweets...can't do Amazon as I live in a Nexxus state. Which is a huge shame since I'm a frugal living blogger and Amazon has some of the best deals and is where I do the majority of my shopping.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Loading the player...
  • Oh great thread! Can we have some links? I'd love to read up on everyone's posts :)

-What type of blog is it? (mom, fashion, fitness, career, etc.?)
       Food Blog. I cook/bake/create food things and share food news, restaurants I've been to, food science, etc. 

Wordpress. This one is fairly new - I had another one with similar themes, but the editor was always crashing, so I started a newer better blog in July on Wordpress with I find is easier to deal with 

This is sad, but since it's a food blog and I was sick like a dog for three months or so, I have not posted since early September. Now that I am feeling way better - and can cook again! - I will be posting on Mondays and Fridays again. 

Not sure anymore - back in August I had about 100. My previous blog was a lot more trafiicky, but this one just started then got torpedoed by the MS monster. I  am hoping to really get on it again this week. 

I am looking into this now, since I never have before (as it was a hobby) - and am happy for anyone to throw information and life experience my way! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so glad this came back up because I just started a blog TWO days ago lol

Sorry I'm mobile so I'm just going to answer the questions.

1. Mommy blog- www.out-to-lunch.net

2. I use squarespace. Wasn't sure what to use, so I just went with it.

3. I'm hoping to do about 3 posts a week. I have quite a few written already, so we'll see when I need to realllly start thinking.

4. I had 250 in traffic yesterday.

5. None at all. I don't even know where I would start!! Any advice would be great! Lol
  • gemini2005gemini2005 member
    edited December 2015
    What type of blog is it? (mom, fashion, fitness, career, etc.?) 
    My blog is pretty much my pregnancy/parenting/life journal. I started it after I found out I was pregnant with baby number two in 2012. 

What website do you use to host? (wordpress, weebly, etc.) 
    Blogger 

How often do you post/create posts?
    1-2 times per week 

How many readers do you have? How do you attract readers/ advertise your blog?
    I have 9 people that subscribe to my blog but I don't try to attract readers really. I just want to remember events in my pregnancies and I really enjoy reading other people's blogs.

How do you monetize your site? 
    Adsense but I've never made any money!
  • @AmmyBelle the link to my blog is in my siggy. www.loggerswife.com

kami09 Don't worry too much about monetizing now. You need to get some blogging under your belt first. The one thing you good do now is install Google AdSense so that your readers are always used to ads on your site rather than them suddenly showing up one day. But a lot of affiliates and such won't even look at you until you have been blogging x amount of time and have x amount of views.

Can I make a suggestion to all? If you do not have Google Analytics installed on your blog, do it now. It is the industry standard for knowing page views and such. The built-in page view counters with things like Blogger, Wix, Squarespace, etc. are notorious for being highly inaccurate. They count way more views than you actually have, unfortunately. If you want to do things such a monetize, many places will require GA because of the inaccuracies with the build-in things.

TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• -What type of blog is it? (mom, fashion, fitness, career, etc.?) - house design and family-related. I took a break first tri b/c of exhaustion and moving, but am going to get going again.

-What website do you use to host? (wordpress, weebly, etc.) - blogger

-How often do you post/create original content? I aim for once a week.

-How many readers do you have? How do you attract readers/ advertise your blog? - I have 10 email subscribers. I am not doing anything to attract new readers. I'd like to advertise home products and be offered to try things. 

-How do you monetize your site? I don't. I'd like to make money off a hobby, but it just allows me to write my thoughts and ideas down.

JCrew Blog

Big brother was born August 24, 2011.
    Little brother was born October 1, 2012.
    Brother #3 due 5/4/16; born 5/2/16.

• -What type of blog is it? (mom, fashion, fitness, career, etc.?) - Food, Family, Fitness, Travel, now BABY!

-What website do you use to host? (wordpress, weebly, etc.) - Self-hosted Wordpress

-How often do you post/create original content? Whenever I feel like it. I'm a mom first! 

-How many readers do you have? How do you attract readers/advertise your blog? - I've got around 4,000 hits/month and tell my facebook page when I've got a new post up. Pinterest is a good source of traffic too.

-How do you monetize your site? Sponsored posts (#1 income) & Google AdSense (couch change random $100 check every year income)

• @countrygrl5533 your site is beautiful! I love it! I liked your facebook page and can't wait to follow. Also, your tip about adding Google AdSense now and why made so much sense to me. Pardon the pun. I had not planned on adding it for a while, but decided to because of your point that readers should get used to it now instead of adding them later on. 

@LovingLife! What are sponsored posts? Sorry if this is obvious, I'm really new to this. 

I really empathize with those saying posting is difficult pregnant. There has been many days where I have had the time to write posts, but have felt so terrible, or had pregnancy brain and was blocked, or was just too exhausted to write a post. I think my new strategy is when the mood hits, write a bunch of posts and save them for later on. That way I'm not trying to force myself to write posts. 

My site is babiesbooksandbistros.com 
  • I'm not really blogging anymore (full-time job at a computer makes it hard), but I've felt like a blogger at heart for the past 5-6 years, so just wanted to jump in!

-What type of blog is it? Running/fitness blog! Always have seen blogs like mine except with a mommy component to them, and I get SO annoyed. Now I'm torn, because I kind of want to talk about that stuff, kind of don't want to be a part of the problem (not a real problem, I just get unreasonably annoyed with a lot of stuff), and also don't really want to share my pregnancy on the internet.

-What website do you use to host? Wordpress

-How often do you post/create original content? In the beginning (when I was unemployed), several times a week. Now... twice a year? Thinking about changing that.

-How many readers do you have? How do you attract readers/ advertise your blog? I have no idea how many readers I have. I had blogger before, and sometimes would get up to a couple thousand/month, but I think some of those were robots. Switched to Google Analytics just as I was backing off from blogging, so it was far left. Probably around 100/month, and just traffic from facebook mostly.

-How do you monetize your site? I don't. If I did, it would be from sponsorships of companies I really support - I'm not a fan of adwords or other randomly generated ads cluttering up the page.

• @BuzzBee614 sponsored posts are through a brand, or a company/network that works as a liaison between brands and bloggers. You apply to the networks and then apply to the different opportunities they offer. It's the best way to make good money, especially if your traffic isn't the highest. My fav companies to work for are Collective Bias & Influence Central. Your blog looks great!! 

• @countrygrl5533 your site is beautiful! I love it! I liked your facebook page and can't wait to follow. Also, your tip about adding Google AdSense now and why made so much sense to me. Pardon the pun. I had not planned on adding it for a while, but decided to because of your point that readers should get used to it now instead of adding them later on. 

I really empathize with those saying posting is difficult pregnant. There has been many days where I have had the time to write posts, but have felt so terrible, or had pregnancy brain and was blocked, or was just too exhausted to write a post. I think my new strategy is when the mood hits, write a bunch of posts and save them for later on. That way I'm not trying to force myself to write posts. 

My site is babiesbooksandbistros.com 

Thanks! I love my site designer. She's amazing. She took what I had done myself and made it so much better.

I used to write out a number of posts and schedule them out when I knew I was going to be too busy. I'm just really, really having a hard time getting back into things since my break so even that isn't happening. I was over 5,000 page views a month and that was a lot of work. I was working my way to 10,000 (a lot of companies won't work with you until you have at least 10,000OPVs) but just got too burned out.

Blogging as a profession is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure. Even with "office hours" I was spending so much of my life writing, taking pictures, editing, visiting other blogs, promoting, social media, etc. I'm hoping to find the happy balance between "full-time blogger" and "full-time mom" sometime soon. :) It seems like I can only do one or the other.

• Question of the week for bloggers:

Do you sell anything on your website? 

If so, what types of things have worked well for you or didn't work out so great?