February 2016 Moms
Options

Apt living: can my neighbors complain?

So I know this sounds silly but my neighbors have complained to my landlord twice (2 separate neighbors) that my dog barks. I've only lived here a couple months & im training them, crating them, playing with them, giving them toys, walking them, etc since the complaints (I wasn't aware beforehand she even barked when I wasn't home) and I'm trying to do what I can so I won't get evicted. There's so many more options with dogs than... Babies.

So now I'm worried. Can my neighbors complain to the landlord if my baby cries? Can I get evicted? Any advice please. I really don't want to move after having the baby but I'm feeling so unwelcome here. I wish my neighbors would come to me first but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. I was planning to leave the other 5 tenants in the bldg a card & gift (cookies?) prior to babies arrival. But now I don't now.

Re: Apt living: can my neighbors complain?

• Options
    Absolutely no clue about this... but can you request an apartment change?  Obviously you have no control over whether your baby cries or not, and maybe your complex will take that into consideration?  Tell them you've been working hard at getting your dogs under control, but obviously your neighbors are highly sensitive about your situation already.  Do your neighbors know your pregnant? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Options
    They could complain but that would be ridiculous if they did. Babies cry, especially at the newborn stage. But you can't get crap for that. You could talk to your neighbors and let them know about the dog situation. That could help giving them some insight.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Check out the fair housing laws in your state. Familia is a protected class, but I would check and see what your state laws say as well. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    JMarie1291JMarie1291 member
    edited November 2015
    Egg crate foam helps take the noise away for barks and cries! Its like the foam pads you put on mattresses put it on the walls. But yes they can complain about baby crying.... I've seen it happen living in different apartments for a few years..... Just be considerate if its night time don't let your baby cry for hours. Yes sometimes babies cry and it takes time to calm them down or they are just not happy and sometimes we need to lay them down to cry it out.....I can only imagine how frustrating it is to live in an apartment with young childern amd all the noises that come with kids....maybe try look for a place with more kids living in the complex or and dogs ....but defiantly look into the egg crating the walls
  • Options
    They can complain but nothing will be done against you. I asked our building manager for the same reasons, but was quickly reassured.
  • Options
    You can not be evicted because of your baby crying.
  • Options
    If it's past 10pm they can complain because it's "quiet" hours but anytime before that you can't help...I live in an apartment too and my husband is a day sleeper and sometimes the downstairs neighbor dog would bark outside but it's a dog...no big deal. I know they can hear my cats running around but it's a mutual respect I guess. Just talk with your neighbors so they know you're trying and not blowing it off
  • Options
    Dogs barking and babies crying are different. I would be annoyed to hell listening to someone's dog bark while they weren't at home (well, at all, really.. I have pretty low tolerance), but a baby is totally different and certainly not something I'd go to the manager about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I agree that you should check out state laws. They usually favor the tenant over the landlord. Also keep in mind that the eviction process is typically a long and expensive one for landlords, and your landlord will likely not pursue it just because your neighbors complain. If you pay your rent on time and don't start any home methlabs, MOST landlords won't give you too much trouble. There are always exceptions to this rule of course but I wouldn't worry too much.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    thisusernamethisusername member
    edited November 2015

I agree that you should check out state laws. They usually favor the tenant over the landlord. Also keep in mind that the eviction process is typically a long and expensive one for landlords, and your landlord will likely not pursue it just because your neighbors complain. If you pay your rent on time and don't start any home methlabs, MOST landlords won't give you too much trouble. There are always exceptions to this rule of course but I wouldn't worry too much.

But I heard home meth labs were best for baby!!! Are you sure you want to give that up?!
  • Options
    As a retired leasing consultant, in my experience, no to both babies crying and dogs barking. It's possible you may get a letter of noise complaint or something along those regards but in extreme cases they'll relocate one of you before they'd evict you. Actually It's more likely your neighbor would move since they are the ones with the issue. If you are comfortable go have a friendly chat with your neighbor. Tell them what you're trying to do to prevent the issue and let him know you prefer that he speak with you before management. If you can't catch up with them or you don't know who they are ask your management company to set up a meeting.
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • Options
    They can complain, but it doesn't mean anything will be done about it. I complained about my neighbor because their subfloor was messed up and it squeaked whenever they walked. I also happened to mention that a couple of times their baby woke me up in the middle of the night screaming like it was being murdered. The apartment manager went to investigate and told them that I thought they were abusing their baby. That was not a pleasant living experience. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

They can complain, but it doesn't mean anything will be done about it. I complained about my neighbor because their subfloor was messed up and it squeaked whenever they walked. I also happened to mention that a couple of times their baby woke me up in the middle of the night screaming like it was being murdered. The apartment manager went to investigate and told them that I thought they were abusing their baby. That was not a pleasant living experience. 

Oh sweet heavens above, that was so not cool of him. WOW.