1st Trimester

Vanishing twin

Hi there! I have done a search on this subject throughout the community but it did not see any recent conversations so I was hoping to get a bit of feedback here.
I had my first ultrasound last wk at 6w5d which reveeled 2 babies each in there own sack. Baby A measured right on target with HR of 126. (Super stoked), baby B was barely visible but a heartbeat was noted. The doctor said she believes that B will probably not make it just absorb. She said not to be sad if that happens. My hubby and I are ok if with this news but of course we are hoping for the best. I was just wondering if anyone has had an experience with this? I know when a fetus just absorbs, there generally aren't any symptoms such a spotting and cramping but I'm just wondering if anyone noticed anything?
I know everyone is different but this has me very curious to learn more about other women's experiences. I have another ultrasound scheduled next wk at 8w5d.
Thank you

Re: Vanishing twin

• I don't have any insights on this and haven't read much on it, but I am hoping that by next appointment you get some more information. Sounds like you and husband have a great perspective on it and I hope the best for whatever outcome happens! Let us know what the next scan says.
  • I don't have any experience with this but @BostonBaby1 does. Maybe she can help
    Me (23) & DH (26)
    TTC #1 since 2/2015
    BFP 2/26/15    |     EDD 11/4/15     |     Natural M/C 3/11/12 @ 6 weeks
    BFP 6/17/15    |     EDD 2/26/15     |     Empty Sac 7/13/15  @ 7 weeks     |    D&C 8/10/15
    BFP 11/26/15  |     EDD 8/9/16       |     Natural M/C 12/2/15 @ 4 weeks
    BFP 1/4/16      |     EDD 9/8/16       |     It's a BOY!                                      |     Hudson born 9/16/16
    Working with RE to begin infertility testing 12/2015

• Loading the player...
  • My cousin had a vanishing twin. There only reason that she knew was from early an U/S.
  • I've learned that nowadays woman have ultrasounds much earlier than they ever used to and that's how it's found that a twin was there. Most of the time women don't even know there was a twin. It's strange to know there are 2 inside me now and next week the US may only show one.
  • There tend to be no symptoms from vanishing twins. If it wasn't for early ultrasounds, most women wouldn't even know that they were carrying twins at one point.
  • I thought as much. Usually woman don't have ultrasounds until a bit later in their 1st trimester. I'm just glad to know there aren't any symptoms. Next wks US should tell me more.