January 2016 Moms

Everything To Do w/ Cleaning.

I am just curious on tips and hacks that you guys use to clean. I am cleaning, well nesting, as of now and would love to start a thread on it. Curious as to how you guys clean your baby bottles (boil or dishwasher or hand wash), what soaps you use to clean your floors and counter tops, how you clean kitty litter, etc...
Let's get this going!

Re: Everything To Do w/ Cleaning.

• Good topic! Can i add a question? What laundry soap do you use for baby clothes. I saw all the options and just walked away from the isle last week confused.
  • rainybabe82rainybabe82 member
    edited November 2015
    I use purex baby much cheaper than dreft but Imo just as good
  • Loading the player...
  • I use dreft. I know it's expensive but I love it and the smell. I'm ordering a couple online today at target for 15% off plus free shipping.
  • I read you can really use anything to wash the baby's clothes as long as its the "free" version, so no dyes or scents. 
  • I use lux flakes dissolved in hot water for baby clothes. (Not sure if this is Australian)

I got drawer dividers on eBay in hexagon shapes and I roll rather than fold the baby clothes- that way you can visually see each item.

I got a bunch of storage boxes and I put the different sizes in each box rather than having them in drawers so that the only clothes that are in the drawers are the size she will be at the time.

I've labeled all the baby drawers with a label maker so that hubby/mum anyone doesn't need to ask me where things are if they are changing the baby. (On the inside)

Husband cleans the kitty litter- which we made a cubord for- so baby (hopefully) wont be able to access it- we just got a regular cubord we liked- put the kity litter in it, and put a cat flap on it- (drilled some air holes at the back so it doesn't trap odor) we just use crystals.

Those are my things I've gone thus far...

• We're washing in Dreft because I bought many bottles for a steal a couple months ago. Once that's all gone, we'll go to regular powder Tide as it's the best for washing cloth diapers in.
    Bathroom: Dawn and vinegar for regular cleaning. I love Bar Keepers Friend for stubborn water marks, iron deposits, etc. And clean the toilets with black label Lysol. 
    Floors: I have a swiffer type mop that I can wash and reuse the pads and use different items depending on when it is. I do like to use bleach and water about once a month. I've also used Fabuloso on occasion, but only when the windows can be opened. Other times I like to use Method floor cleaner
    Kitty litter: DH has been a champ about taking care of the kitty litter boxes! We have two giant boxes for our 3 cats. He's been cleaning them daily for me and sweeping up every day as well (they are on tile). Every 2 weeks we empty the litter and I take them outside, hose them down, and bleach them. Then put fresh litter in. 
    If you are on FB, there's a great group called Laundry Love & Science. I've learned SO MUCH about cleaning my house since I joined this group about 1 month ago!! I've stripped my bath towels so they are more absorbent and learned to use regular windex and a scrub brush to clean our microfiber couch cushions that I've been just covering up because of odd staining! Check them out!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • @narissa2013 one mom in the isle for detergent said don't pay for expensive baby soaps. She said for her baby she uses All scent free soap and it doesn't mess with the skin.
  • General cleaning in our house is done with vinegar, baking soda, Norwex and Sapadilla brand cleaners. Every couple of months I will give the toilets an extra boost with a bleach wash. Trying to stay non-toxic in the cleaning department really just means cleaning more often, like once a week, and a bit more elbow grease. The toxic crap burns my lungs, gives me a headache and is just not worth it to me anymore.
  • For bottles and pump supplies, I hand wash (ed) them using good ol' Dawn dish soap. I found putting them through my dish washer left more scum on them than they went in with. Just make absolutely certain that they dry well, or you'll end up with mold.
    As for laundry, it does very little to wash the baby clothes in it if you don't wash your (or whoever holds baby) clothes in it. They are constantly in touch with you, hubby, sibling's body and clothes... we washed all my son's clothes with our detergent and have had no major skin issues (he's about to turn 1). Plus, baby detergent is usually crazy expensive... if there were to be a skin issue, then I'd consider changing to a free and clear or baby detergent, but until then, don't make the preparation more difficult or expensive than it needs to be!
  • I have always been a Lysol queen. I buy the concentrated stuff and dilute it myself in a squirt bottle, for various cleaning needs. It works on everything! Lately I have tried to switch to the honest company plant based cleaner, and I hate it. I use it to avoid fumes, but sometimes I have to just turn on the vent fan and Lysol like normal.
  • For general cleaning I use Seventh Generation or Mrs Meyers products and love me some Magic Eraser (works on everything). Sometimes I'll dust with DD's wipes. For floors I mostly use a steam mop but do use Murphys from time to time.

For laundry I can't stand the strong smell of Dreft and use Purex Free & Clear (or whatever is the cheapest F&C) for the whole family.

Bottles I boiled before first use then used the dishwasher basket. I'd boil the nipples and pump supplies once a week which was simple enough.
  • Dr bonners baby mild liquid Castile soap. It's a good for everything!
  • Yes!! @Pinkpelican magic eraser is the best!!!
  • This litter box was the best $30 investment we made in the last 6 months. I can empty it without having to touch anything and DH deep cleans it once a month. We have 2 cats and empty it once a day and keep the odors down with baking soda. People have been viewing our house as it's for sale and the best comment we get is that they didn't even realize we had cats until they saw the cats.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005E2S77C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448961446&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=tilt+litter+box&dpPl=1&dpID=41v85w2vQ0L&ref=plSrch
  • Cricket99 said:
    This litter box was the best $30 investment we made in the last 6 months. I can empty it without having to touch anything and DH deep cleans it once a month. We have 2 cats and empty it once a day and keep the odors down with baking soda. People have been viewing our house as it's for sale and the best comment we get is that they didn't even realize we had cats until they saw the cats. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005E2S77C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448961446&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=tilt+litter+box&dpPl=1&dpID=41v85w2vQ0L&ref=plSrch
    Yes! We are definitely another vote for this litter box. Doesn't take Hubbie long to clean it at all. great investment.

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• My big job is organizing. We did an addition on our home and are shifting everyone's bedrooms and just moving everything around. I was hopeful it would all be one big move, process but not so much. Right now I'm attempting to contain the stuff from the closets we lost, moving things to the appropriate closets while I wait for us to be able to get/ move the furniture and what not. I think it's going to be a while still until we are truly done. When everything is truly done and organized I am going to pay for a deep cleaning to get me back on track.
  • For bottles and pump supplies, I hand wash (ed) them using good ol' Dawn dish soap. I found putting them through my dish washer left more scum on them than they went in with. Just make absolutely certain that they dry well, or you'll end up with mold. As for laundry, it does very little to wash the baby clothes in it if you don't wash your (or whoever holds baby) clothes in it. They are constantly in touch with you, hubby, sibling's body and clothes... we washed all my son's clothes with our detergent and have had no major skin issues (he's about to turn 1). Plus, baby detergent is usually crazy expensive... if there were to be a skin issue, then I'd consider changing to a free and clear or baby detergent, but until then, don't make the preparation more difficult or expensive than it needs to be!
    So are you saying you wash baby's clothes with your regular detergent? Like a regular old detergent that is not free/clear and definitely not made for especially for babies either? This is encouraging! My plan all along has been to use our regular detergent, which is not free/clear and not baby specific. If the baby develops a rash or something then I'd get free and clear, but I don't want to create an intolerance that isn't there. I didn't know if there were other people out there that just use regular detergent. That is great to hear. I plan to try this and see how it goes!
  • Okay. Serious question! Can anybody still stand in front of the sink to wash dishes comfortably?

I know I can't. The bottom of my bump hits the counter and if I stand back or sideways it hurts my back so much.

How do I do the dishes? I was thinking about buying wedge fill flops, to boost me up over the edge, but then I'd have to bend over further? I don't know.
  • @kimber308 Yup! My best friend told me this when I was nesting with my son (and complaining about the cost for special detergent). I use good ol' Tide pods and Downey Unstoppables...

@ashhsa my belly hits the counter too and I end up with a big wet spot on my shirt. I can deal with that, it's the awful bending to load and unload the dishwasher that's killing me!
  • Glad to hear @BarrettJ89 & @kimber308! I used/ still use my normal detergent (purex) and softener (Gain) with shout for stains from the start with DS. I always washed his in their own load and did not use as much as I do on my & DH laundry. He has never had an issue even though his skin seems to be pretty sensitive to other things. I plan to do the same this time unless she has problems.
  • I just love hearing what others do for cleaning and organizing! Nesting like crazy and then lounging like crazy are the two I am bouncing between these days.
    I bought some Dreft just because I love the smell and it gets me so excited for that newborn:) but when it runs out its my normal detergent I use, All with oxy clean. I did have one child that needed a free and clear a couple years but then out grew it.
    I love the big bottles of febreeze scented mr. Clean. I dilute it in a spray bottle for most surfaces and use it to mop also. Good old Lysol toilet cleaner with bleach is my favorite, I have 3 boys. It's a chore keeping potties free of pee!
    I also boil bottles and pump supplies initially then hand wash with blue dawn and medela steam bags are great!
    For anyone that gets overwhelmed with all the detergent choices and the dos and donts. Open the bottles smell and find what you love! It's your baby do what you feel you want to and if you see you need to change along the way you can. Everyone does it differently and I don't think there is right and wrong. Just what works for you! I am always telling my boys every family does things differently and that's a good thing every family is different:)