September 2015 Moms
Options

Developing..."normally"?

Sully3302Sully3302 member
edited November 2015 in September 2015 Moms
So my LO is 10.5 weeks and out of the 2nd leap (thank goodness!). The app talks about discovering hands and people have been talking about their LO putting hands in mouth, batting at things, etc. my LO has not noticed her hands, isn't self soothing with them, doesn't bat at toys. I have notice she practices kicking her legs especially when there is a toy, hand etc. to kick. I'm a ftm and it's making me a little nervous that she's not on track.

ETA: she does okay with tummy time, but she also does not roll over and does not even seem close to being able to.

Re: Developing..."normally"?

• Options
    So... my LO didn't start batting things until a few days ago (11.75 weeks) and the only time she'd suck on her fist was during tummy time and they were just there. She also hasn't rolled over. However, she's incredibly social. She chatters back and smiles and makes all kinds of faces. She now has an "I'm gurmpy and if you don't start doing something entertaining, I will cry!" face where she pouts out her lower lip. Lol. She also grumbles after tummy time on and off as if to say "don't think you can just distract me. I know what you just did." I like to think she's just putting her energy into other things.
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That makes me feel better. My LO is super observant and also very social. Loves to coo, smile and make all kinds of noises when we are "talking".
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO has an "abnormally large" head. It's measuring in the 97th percentile, but that's because of his dad having such a big head when he was a baby. His doctor had us go for an ultrasound on his head last week just in case. But the doctor there told me that DS may take a little longer to hold his head up, crawl, and walk. So far his head control is pretty good. We try to do plenty of tummy time, but he isn't very fond of it. He gets frustrated after a few minutes.
    As far as other milestones, he seems right on track. He sucks on his hands all the time, unless he has his paci. But if it falls out he cries for a minute until he remembers he can just suck on his hands instead. Just remember that every baby is different and some take longer for certain milestones, not all! Sounds like your LO is hitting some of the other ones so I wouldn't worry too much (:
  • Options
    @mel0601 I love you, lol
  • Options
    It's normal for babies to have different strengths! Mine is super social like yours and has great head control but is nowhere bear ready to roll over and doesn't bat at things too often. Just today I amped up tummy time (she hates me for it!) and started holding objects within reach to encourage more hand movement.
  • Options
    @mel0601 <--- what she said x1000. I'm a ftm but thankfully realized this pretty quickly. I had several friends who also had babies within 2-3 weeks of my son. One in particular who is also a ftm has made it her personal mission to attempt to brag about how advanced her daughter is at every possible opportunity. It's kind of insane.
  • Options
    Developmental milestones aren't on a tight schedule.  These things occur within a fairly liberal range. You can't get stressed about, "But he/she's 8 weeks and I was told that xyz was typical at 8 weeks and he/she's not doing it!"  It's good to note the milestones and timeframe, but understand that every child's timetable has some wiggle room. 
  • Options
    Just wanted to make sure that you were putting your baby under one of those activity mats...and encouraging play there. I had one, but honestly, I didn't even think of putting my daughter in it, and I would just hold her all day. My mother-in-law got it out, and since then she's been delighted with it. Those stupid colored keys were the first thing she was able to bat at, now, after a few weeks I've been showing her how to grab onto this thing and pull on it. Then it vibrates. Verbally, I have all of her little stuffed animals 'visit' and talk with her when she's in her active learning modes. They visit her and have different things they do like work on sounds, count, or initiate vocalizing. I really would have just been holding her all day if no one told me. Good luck!
  • Options
    I've been nervous about things too. My son will be 13 weeks on the 3rd but I feel like he should be doing more. I keep comparing him to my friends LO who is 3 weeks older and I know I shouldn't but I can't help it. Her son rolls over and has for a month, grabs his play gym toys with both hands, eats his fingers and not just his fist. He holds toys and puts them in his mouth. He also laughs now too and my son isn't doing these things. My son talks alllll day and smiles, he's very social and observant but there's no signs of rolling over. He'll grab blankets when they're close to his fist but not his toys really at all. My son is growing faster then hers though so he's doing better in that category lol
  • Options
    My Dr told me that most girls are stronger at social or motor skills first. So if your LO is more social right now, her motor skills will come! Each kiddo develops at their rate, try not to read into the milestones too much, they are only a guideline.:)
  • Options
    Thank you for all your reassurances.... Definitely makes me feel better. I mighty just have one of those "social butterflies".... I'm a first grade teacher, and there are always a few every year...they just can't stop talking!