September 2015 Moms

Swaddle drama

Has anyone successfully stopped swaddling yet? The swaddle is my little ones que it's time for sleep and has worked great (and still does, as it keeps her from startling herself awake). However, she is constantly fighting with it to get her hands up to her face, so I have to wrap her super tight. The problem is, if her hands are free she's rubbing them all over her face and chewing them and waking herself up. I've tried to give her a few naps sans swaddle over the last few days, and she wakes up after 40 mins. Today I swaddles her for her naps and she slept 3 hours (in her swing). Any advice?

Re: Swaddle drama

• I only swaddle lo for naps during the day but at night I don't. He fights sleep during the day and swaddling seems to help. We've got a good enough routine at night though that he goes down easily. The only advice I have isn't really advice. Just stop swaddling her. That's what we did and it made for some rough nights but after about a week or so he adjusted.
  • I'm currently trying to stop swaddling my LO too. I read that a good thing to use during this transition stage is Merlin's Magic Suit. Lots of good reviews... We are trying it tonight for the first time and so far so good!
  • Loading the player...
  • I saw this on shark tank. https://www.sleepingbaby.com/

It's supposed to help the transition out of a swaddle. It might be worth a try!
  • We used Merlin's sleepsuit and SwaddleUp because DS hates the standard swaddle. They are both designed to help with the transition.
  • My little one is almost 10 weeks and I'm sick of the swaddle, but he's an addict, lol. He doesn't even fall asleep on me without a swaddle, much less for a nap in his rock and play. The transition I planned is for the Zippadee zip, I bought two for him for Christmas bc he'll be 3 months as they recommend. My friends recommend it and what I like about it is it's the only sleeping sack that I've heard that's safe to roll over and belly sleep in. I have a fear of my LO rolling over in a swaddle. To transition I bought a swaddle up, and am using it for naps until he's 3 months...it's working and he can self soothe. Once he's in the Zippadee zip (the one from shark tank) we will start transitioning to crib
  • I've been using a halo sleep sack at night, it pins their little arms down. I'm awaiting a Merlin magic sleep suit in the mail because he still wakes up often at night and I'm hoping this will be more effective. I swaddle during the day for naps but my little guy is so big I have to use a full sized bed sheet! The sleep sack works pretty well though if you're just worried about the arms flailing around, they sell them at Target.
  • We're in the process of using the Zippadee zip. It's... okay. Friday we tried just putting her in. 3+ naps in a row, it was terrible. So then I decided to try having only one arm free to move around. That seems to be working. Our timing could be a little better, however since she's also coming up on her Wonder Week and 3 month growth spurt. Problem was that she would break out of her swaddle (arms and legs) during 80% of her sleep but didn't seem to mind the extra freedom. Falling asleep sees to be the biggest problem.
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If I swaddle my LO is not gonna sleep and fight the blanky until he's not swaddle anymore! And ilhe started hating being swaddled at 2 months old...
  • Serious question... how do you keep babies warm without a swaddle? I know I need stop swaddling her when she can roll over. I probably shouldn't be swaddling her for sleeping to begin with but I don't understand how she will stay warm without a blanket.
  • We never did a correct swaddle, since birth she's hated her hands not being free. So we wrap/ tuck a blanket around her and leave her hands free. She just wears warm clothes and socks sometimes without a blanket and is just fine.
  • My son is 12 weeks and I haven't actually swaddled in well over 2 months. Velcro swaddle sleep sacks are so much better then wraping him up in a blanket. I lay the swaddle open and just place him on top once he falls asleep. I leave his hands free because he goes crazy if they're not. It's so much more convient and easier to get in and out of
  • We've started transitioning by leaving one arm out at night and we don't swaddle during the day. The other trick I've heard about on here is to place them so their feet are up against the bottom of their crib or pnp which we've been doing. I think the trick is a gradual transition for us. Granted at about 5 or 6 am she decides that sleeping by herself is for the birds and at that point I usually put her on my chest for a couple hours.

As for keeping her warm enough at night, we use a fleece sleeper and keep the house at 70 degrees. I can't stand how sleep sacks always bunch up and stop her from stretching her legs out.
  • Just raved about the merlin suit on another post, but its been so good for us. Just got up from a 10 hr stretch!
    Here's the deal, LO always hated arms in swaddle so we got the cotton version. Worried about over heating with the microfleece one.
    We live in new England & its pretty cold at night & our house runs cold as well. LO sleeps in socks & diaper & suit & never seems to be too hot (always touch chest for an accurate read. His hands occasionally feel really cold so then I put socks on hands as well.
    Started him at 10/11 weeks. Went from rocknplay & swaddle to crib & merlin... Made the transition very smooth for us. Took 4ish days for him to adjust completely to it but now we get a 7-10hr stretch every night :) big fan of merlin (plus they look hilarious in it ;) )
  • Serious question... how do you keep babies warm without a swaddle? I know I need stop swaddling her when she can roll over. I probably shouldn't be swaddling her for sleeping to begin with but I don't understand how she will stay warm without a blanket.

We just watch the temp in the house.I keep it between 70 and 72 and put DS in a warm sleeper. He never gets too cold. I am trying to find flannel fitted sheets for winter though.
    For me, it's a hands thing. Her room is soo cold compared to the rest of the house that we have to run a space heater in it during the cooler months. The Zippadee Zip is the only one I could find that covers her hands (she just sucks at them through the cloth) and they can also safely wear once they start rolling over.
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • we recently switched from a swaddle to a regular sleep sack. LO honestly doesn't seem to notice the difference! we have a fleece sack so she stays warm.
  • The Halo Swaddle sleep sacks (and several others) can be wrapped so that they leave the arms free, so you can incrementally transition that way. We also have several wearable blankets that don't have the swaddling wings at all.