September 2015 Moms
Options

Back to Work :(

Tomorrow is my first day back to work and I'm dreading it. I'm trying to stay postitive so I can enjoy my last day, but the struggle is real. I feel like any moment I'm going to burst into uncontrollable sobbing.

To make matters worse I have to travel for a new client meeting this week and will be away from my husband for three days, and he is my rock. My LO is traveling with me with his nanny, but I know I'm going to be a mess the entire time. It would be better if I didn't go, but my boss also just had a baby and he is out on paternity (which I'm very glad he is taking). It's such a cluster on top of being my first week back, and the stress is not helping my already terrible emotional state.

How has going back to work been for those who have gone? Any words of wisdom?

Re: Back to Work :(

• Options
    Just had to add that this is me today too. You are not alone!
  • Options
    I went back the 19th and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. DS loves his sitter and was so excited when i handed him to her. My DH went with me to drop him off and pick him up for the baby... But really just for me, lol. He was so happy and smiley when we picked him up, and each day since has been the same. He's been great for her which helps too. He sleeps better at night and seems to eat less frequently but more with each feeding as well. She's getting him on a schedule which I was unable to do. I let him call all the shots... FTM so I had no clue what I was doing.

Pumping has been great too. I have 2 Medela coolers, one for work and one for the sitter. So that part has been pretty easy.

The work day flies by too. I'm an underwriter at a medical malpractice insurance company and I used to work late and weekends all the time. Now I don't. My priorities have changed. DS is the most important thing. I leave at 5, period. I don't make fancy dinners anymore either. We eat a lot of crock pot meals and left overs. I'd rather spend my time with my son after work that do the other stuff that used to matter.

We are getting into a routine and it's quite nice. On ML I was owned by my son. I missed my routine and schedule. Now I have that back, with the obvious changes of course.

Try not to focus on being away from your LO and make your evenings and weekends that much more special. I hope you can ease back into it, but it sounds like you have a busy week to come back to!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been back for 6 weeks. The first day was hard. It has been better each day since. I stay so busy that the day flys by. I think I was late everyday the first week. We now have our routine down and it's much easier. The hardest part for me was when DD refused her bottle at daycare. I hated the thought of her being hungry. Each week she has done better.
  • Options
    May I ask how old your little ones were when you went back?? I am going back soon... Sitter just called me today to discuss paperwork and starting a little part time here and there for him to get used to her before we drop off for full weeks/days in February. Just that call and discussion has Made me so sad.... He's so young. She has 4 other kids (1 that's 2 and two others that are 2, 3). She is great and comes from a great reference but I keep thinking how I give him my undivided attention here he won't be getting that there but I guess that's good... Socializing him... But again he's so young I think. It would help to know their ages of your LOs to compare and know that if they are young it is ok and he will be ok
  • Options
    Mine was 12 weeks on the dot. He's the only "baby" as the other kiddos there are 13 mos and older. She is watching 5 other kids total. And she's been doing it for 17 years. Sounds like if you have til February, you are lucky! Your LO should be in good shape by then. I was worried he'd be neglected but he loves to watch the other kids and learn from them. My sitter said he sits around and just observes all day... When he's not sleeping or playing on the floor and flirting with her;) She devotes a ton of time to his development. And tracks all his feedings, changings, and play time. I love knowing what he does all day and for how long/how often. I absolutely love my sitter. We got very lucky I think.
  • Options
    I go back on Tuesday and am dreading it. I already know I am putting in my notice although I love my job (head receptionist at a veterinarian) they are long days. Going in at 6:50 and not leaving until after 6. I just can't bring myself to be OK with being away from my baby that long. I plan to take my real estate class and go to work with my mother as she has more leads than she is able to work with on her own. I look forward to being able to set my own schedule but dread the couple of weeks I am going to be back at my old job.
  • Options
    I may be in the minority, but I love being back at work. It gives me a sense of independence and freedom, and makes my time with my daughter so valuable. I find the routine of little one constantly to be very draining, and I end up not showering or changing out of my pj's and feeling more ragged than when I work and feel more human. I come home happy and treasure my mornings, evenings and weekends with her. I very much enjoyed having almost a solid week with her for the holidays, but I'm looking forward to going back tomorrow. I love being a mom, but I have to have some grown up "me" time too.

Good luck this week. I hope you find some happiness amid all the stress it sounds like you'll be under.
  • Options
    @dmbfan46835 my mother in law is taking him January (when I go back to work) then February to the sitter. And I think we lucked out too. Your Sitter sounds exactly like the sitter we have found. I have seen her work with my friends son who went to her earlier than mine will go. So I know I am worrie for no reason... Maybe sad is the word not worried. When he goes to her full time he will be 5 months! I'm being crazy ha.
  • Options
    I return Tuesday. I'm also having a difficult time. I hope it's easier done than the thought of because right now i just feel sick
  • Options
    My mom is coming to do the first week and a half shift with my LO when I go back Wednesday. She's MY mom and I've had anxiety for weeks! I'm not ready to leave him and I am so sad about it. It is such a relief to hear that many of you who have gone back are doing okay. LO will be 11.5 weeks when I go back.

I got an email from a student at the school where I work asking if in was coming back tomorrow because she misses me. That definitely took a little of the sting out. I'm going to need warm fuzzies like that...
  • Options
    Tomorrow's my first day back at work as well! Let's hope we have good days! My husband will be staying home with the baby while I'm at work. He's nervous about it but I think he'll figure it out soon and be fine so I'm not sad about leaving the baby. I'm more nervous about a lack of sleep and about trying to get to know all the kids (I'm a high school teacher) and the fact that they were very poorly behaved for the sub who was apparently a very bad sub.... Ugh!
  • Options
    I just want to report back that today was not as hard as I thought it would be. But I am so exhausted I can barely function. I also think it will get harder towards the end of he week, because today I was only actually at work for a few hours and got to see my LO during lunch.

How did everyone else's go?9
  • Options
    I survived! But I'm also incredibly tired! I'm not used to taking so much!