Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Pyloric stenosis

I was told pyloric stenosis usually happens to 1/1000 babies..

Anyone else's LO have it?

Re: Pyloric stenosis

• My lo does not. I am an Er nurse and have taken care of many babies that have had the diagnosis.
  • I was just curious how everyone's LOs acted post-surgery. My son had it.. It was a night and day difference after the surgery. My niece had it, so we recognized the symptoms pretty quick... The ER doc was ready to send us home calling it reflux
  • Loading the player...
  • Aw happy your son is doing well :)
  • Thanks! He is such a happy baby( so far) so the puking and crying was a big heads up that something was wrong. I'm glad we got it taken care of quickly so he didn't just have to outgrow it.
  • @massey25 what were his symptoms? We are going for the upper GI series next week. Our dr doesn't think he has it but wants to be sure.
  • cplankercplanker member
    edited September 2015
    The vomiting is usually constant. Baby is very uncomfortable and fussy. The vomiting is usually more projectile then just spitting up. Would definitely keep asking the doctor questions. Best of luck !
  • massey25massey25 member
    edited September 2015
    Fussy and vomiting at almost every meal.. His symptoms started around 23 days( from what we're told usually it's diagnosed between 6-8 weeks) and progressed until we went to the ER after 2 days and had surgery 2 days following..

It started with fussy and agitated during meals.. Then got to be spitting up at most meals.. And then became projectile vomiting. I don't mean shot across the room or anything like that, but it came out from his mouth and away from his body before it hit anything.

Like I said, the attending ER doc wanted to call it reflux and send us home. It's diagnosed through a sono. If it sounds at all similar I would just suggest it and let them rule it out. They didn't want to listen at first, but it was just so familiar and I wasn't going home without them checking( first they did 2 blood draws, a urinalysis obtained via catheter, and an X-ray)
  • komorebikomorebi member
    edited October 2015
    My son just had that surgery. He was diagnosed at 3 weeks. Luckily he was not too badly dehydrated but had lost almost a pound in a week. Before the surgery he suddenly started spitting up and often it would come out of his nose. It got worse and by the next weekend i took him to the children's er. The doctor told us up to 2/1000 kids have it. It's pretty common, can start as early as 2-3 weeks and the sooner it's diagnosed the easier time the baby's have. I had myself convinced it was gerd or a food allergy but I'm so glad the doctor had seen PS enough to know to order an ultrasound. He was diagnosed and in less than a day had surgery. He only needed one bolus of fluid to fix his dehydration but it broke my heart to think he had been suffering that whole week.

If your baby is spitting up and it seems forceful or too frequent don't let them just treat for reflux without at least an ultrasound. This is too common to not be ruled out first in a puking baby.
  • Exactly pp! They were so ready to send us home with it being "just bad reflux". I remember telling the nurse repeatedly that projectile vomiting is not normal! Thank god our pediatrician listened to us. I know they can outgrow it, but they shouldn't have to. How is your son doing now, PP?
  • I'm in the waiting room now while my daughter is having surgery for her PS. She was a preemie and we were extra concerned about her vomitting since she was only 5 lbs to begin with. Sooooo happy we finally know what was wrong.

Dr had us try several different formulas and Zantac before sending us for an ultrasound. Definitely learned the hard way to trust my instincts.