September 2015 Moms

Cut my baby's finger :-(

I know this is a rite of passage but poor thing :-(. I feel like it was such a big piece and it seemed like it took forever to stop bleeding. For those that have already done this how long did it take to heal?

Re: Cut my baby's finger :-(

• Not long, I held some pressure to it and it was done in five or ten minutes. While I bawled. It seemed like for a whole month or so, every time I cut her nails I cut her and I felt like the worst mother in the world! Then I realized if i cut them with the back of her nail facing me, it was much better because there was no skin to cut there...duh. Lol mom brain moment!
  • Yeah, did this the other night. She cried for maybe minute. I cried for like 20 minutes. DH took her and kept comforting me. I think I'm fine now so, if it happens again, it will be okay.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm still filing them because I'm too scared to use clippers!
  • I cut my baby's finger and sobbed hysterically even though he cried for only 30 seconds max.
  • I haven't done it yet, but I'm so nervous every time I cut her nails! She wiggles her fingers all over the place!
  • I did it two weeks ago. Didn't bleed but she cried horribly. It was red for two days and then back to normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, we did this when he was about 2 weeks old! Woops. I didn't cry...horrible mom I guess haha. He cried a bit. It didn't bleed too bad but it was red for a few days then went away. Didn't seem to bother him after the initial cut. I think because he was so young he didn't cry too bad. Last week I accidently scratched his forehead when I was putting a onsie on him and he wailed! That I felt really bad about!
  • I've done it twice to the same finger. I felt bad but she was over it after a minute or two. It took a few days to heal but didn't seem to bother her.
  • I'm too scared to cut them! I'm still biting them. Everyone tells me I'm disgusting for doing that, but I'm too scared to cut them and I don't want him to scratch his face.
  • My mother cut LO'S finger while she was here visiting. I told her I was nervous to do it but I did it anyways. A week later she thought she'd do me a favor and do it herself. I was so mad at her but I knew the guilt she felt was enough on her. I just told her to never cut her nails again. Her finger healed up in about a week or 2.. it was a big chunk, too.
  • I've been cutting my babies nails since she was a few weeks old and I've only ever cut her once but it was so tiny like a little needle prick and stopped bleeding a minute or so
  • I did it this morning :(
    This is my second LO and the first time I've clipped skin so I should have known it was coming eventually, but man did that cry ever break my heart!
    Why do their little nails have to grow so damn fast?! I feel like I have to trim them every week or she has scratches on her face :(
  • Quick tip: easier to trim them once they've fallen asleep (20 min into deep sleep)... They won't wiggle around and it's easier to avoid cutting them. I read this tip in one of our parenting books and it works for us.