October 2015 Moms
Options

Exclusively pumping moms

My baby is now a month old, I was getting a great supply pumping before I put her on my boob again and then my supply dropped. Im pumping only again because I got nervous if she was getting enough now it's a struggle for me and I'm trying to rebuild it again. I'm getting 2 ounces in total from both boobs and just today I got 4 ounces in total from my boobs. What's the normal amount of ounces I should be pumping by now? My baby drinks 2 ounces, 3 1/2 and sometimes 4 ounces by now. Just wondering what everyone else's output is? Is four ounces a pump session good? I'm pumping every 3 hours, sometimes I'll go 4 and then try to pump every two after that with two middle of the night time pump sessions. First I was doing 15 minutes but now I'm doing 20.

Re: Exclusively pumping moms

• Options
    kmadison70kmadison70 member
    edited November 2015
    Need advice.
  • Options
    Babies need 24-30 ounces of breastmilk per day for the first 6 months of their life. Your supply evens out around 40 days. I've slowly been building my supply. I started by getting about 10 per day, and I am up to 26-28 ounces per day. I think it's "good" for an exclusively pumping mom to pump 1 ounce for every hour it has been since you last pumped, plus some extra in the AM since that's when supply is highest.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Someone posted this the other day and I think it eased my mind a lot.

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a60145465?scid=ddigest_body

I'm EP and I pump about 3-4 oz every 3 hrs (I was pumping more but got really engorged and had to wean back bc I was in a lot of pain). I think what you're doing sounds about right. As long as you feel like your baby is getting an adequate amount, you're doing great. I think past that it's a challenge not to compare to other moms output, but focus on your healthy little baby!
  • Options

My baby is now a month old, I was getting a great supply pumping before I put her on my boob again and then my supply dropped. Im pumping only again because I got nervous if she was getting enough now it's a struggle for me and I'm trying to rebuild it again. I'm getting 2 ounces in total from both boobs and just today I got 4 ounces in total from my boobs. What's the normal amount of ounces I should be pumping by now? My baby drinks 2 ounces, 3 1/2 and sometimes 4 ounces by now. Just wondering what everyone else's output is? Is four ounces a pump session good? I'm pumping every 3 hours, sometimes I'll go 4 and then try to pump every two after that with two middle of the night time pump sessions. First I was doing 15 minutes but now I'm doing 20.

Ok, so I nurse and then I pump and I bottle feed her pumped milk when she is still hungry after leaving the boob. This keeps my supply up while she is learning to be better at nursing. Her TT just got fixed and my supply had been super low before I realized what was going on. Just an idea if you want to nurse still. Im down to only 3 or 4 times a day that I have to pump, and I'm actually not sure that she will need the milk in the fridge before it goes bad!
  • Options
    koriemo said:

Babies need 24-30 ounces of breastmilk per day for the first 6 months of their life. Your supply evens out around 40 days. I've slowly been building my supply. I started by getting about 10 per day, and I am up to 26-28 ounces per day. I think it's "good" for an exclusively pumping mom to pump 1 ounce for every hour it has been since you last pumped, plus some extra in the AM since that's when supply is highest.

This is me exactly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    chris&haleychris&haley member
    edited November 2015
    I get between 5-7 oz per session and pump every 2-4 hours during the day and only pump at night after feedings which can be 4-6 hour stretches. Mind you I pump for twins so my output is a little higher but still not enough to give them exclusively breast milk. Between that and one girl still needing to gain more weight we do some bottles half & half, some all formula and some all breast. I think each woman is different and we shouldn't stress too much about how much we make. I have zero problems with giving my girls formula, as long as they are thriving! I am super jealous of those of you with lots in the fridge though!

ETA: forgot some words!
  • Options
    I am almost exclusively pumping (I may nurse once a day if that). I usually pump every 3 hours during the day and then might stretch it at night to 4, 5 or even 6 hours in between. At my 3 hour pumps I get between 2 and 3 oz each breast and have gotten as much as 10 oz total on my longer stretches. My lil guy eats 3 oz a feeding so I am building up quite a stockpile for when I return to work. My goal is to make it to 6 months pumping and then use my freezer stock as long as it lasts. I may decide to keep going at 6 months but I am trying to set smaller milestones for myself.
  • Options
    I exclusively pump and have from the start. I am 6 weeks out and get around 34-38 oz a day. What I get in a pump session changed drastically throughout the day, with the amount being the lowest at night. I am nowndoenri pumping 5 or 6 times a day and will pump as long as there is milk flowing, so sometimes 30 minutes, but that is the price to pay for going longer stretches. I also use the let down button two or three times in a pumping session. At one month I was pumping around 28-30 oz and it has steadily increased. I use ibaby app to track, which helps to show the gradual increase. I was using fenugreek and Brewers yeast every day but has stopped since my supply is good. I still eat oatmeal every day and eat lactation cookies everyday.

If you want to increase your supply, try pumping 2 - 2.5 hours apart in the day and maybe add a power pump hour session in every day for a week (I did this for a while every night at 9 pm...20 mins pump, 10 rest, 10 pump, 10 rest, 10 pump). I didn't always have a huge amount, but I think overal it helped bring up my supply as it mimics cluster feeding.