May 2016 Moms

Previous Team Green-ers?

Mamas who have been team green for previous pregnancies, how do you feel about waiting to find out? Are you team green again or finding out early this time? We found out at our anatomy scan with our daughter, and I've been adamant from day 1 we're team green for this one... but with our AS around the corner I'm starting to waver. What did you love or not love about being team green in earlier pregnancies?

Re: Previous Team Green-ers?

• Sorry in advance but this is long :) This is my 5th pregnancy & my 5th attempt to be Team Green! So help me if someone messes this last one up I'm gonna hurt them!
    My first 2 girls were with my ex-husband. We wanted a surprise but our Mother's were adamant about finding out & promised we would never know if we let them know b/c they wanted to shop & have everything ready for when the baby came so we caved & let them find out. Get this, his sweet as pie G-Ma was calling the baby a he from the get go both times as she explained that's just what she does. No biggie except the next time we see her after his Mom finds out his G-Ma goes "How is she doing, oh I mean how is he doing?" as she pats my tummy & smiled this huge grin at me then refered to the baby as a he from there on out. I have never in my life wanted to hurt an old lady before but I can promise you on both those days I did!
    Fast forward 10 years & a nasty divorce b/c my ex started taking steroids & loses his mind :( I then get k/u by my SO & the what I thought was a super nice ultrasound tech sends home over 20 pics of baby! Wow, that never happens right well his Mom is looking at them & starts jumping up & down screaming "I know what it is, I know what it is! With a thing like that how could you not know?" So I'm pissed yet again thanks stupid tech lady & I'm thinking boy right? Nope, get this his Mom showed it to her nurse friend & she corrects her telling her its a girl. You would think she would just go along letting us think wrong & us get a surprise but no, my placenta abrupts 4 weeks & 3 days early (thanks to my jerk SO putting his hands on me so I'm freaking out at the hospital) & I'm like I only have a girl outfit what am I going to do? Quick history I only take gender neutral clothes to the hospital & 1 boy & 1 girl outfit for hospital pics. She then informs me it's not what I think it is so everything will be fine. No, everything isn't fine, all I want is to look down as my baby is being born & get a surprise just once that's all I ask. Next pregnancy & things have gotten really bad with my SO & I (my kids & I were in a DV shelter for 9 months) so I'm going this pregnancy & OB appointments & all alone. Well the stupid lady at the front desk asks if I know what I'm having & I tell her "NO & I DON'T WANT TO KNOW" & she goes "Well our policy at this office has always been no matter what you are having we always collect $ for the circumcision in advance so I need $200." Really? I just had a baby here less than a year & a half ago so thanks for ruining my surprise yet again you stupid snatch!
    Now present day & I'm hoping & praying for 2 miracles here. Well actually 3 but I'll take the 2! I'll just call him my baby daddy from here on out b/c that's all he is. The first miracle I need is for this baby to make it. I've been bleeding going on 3 weeks now (I'm almost 17 weeks) & they don't know why. The second miracle I'm praying for is that in February he goes to prison. I've had him prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law so we will see what happens. The third thing I'm asking for (I'm staying positive:) is that I finally get my surprise at birth that I've always wanted :)
    Don't worry, my children & I are safe & sound & other than us going to the shelter they never knew anything bad ever happend & my 10 & 12 year old girls have straight A's & other than losing my job due to horrendous MS & this bed rest thing life could not be better for us!
    Do me a favor ladies & send a couple extra prayers our way oh & if it isn't too much to ask stay Team Green for me just in case mine gets messed up yet again :)
  • We were team green for the last pregnancy and will be this time too. The reasoning for us is that we feel there's only a few truly amazing surprises in life and for us, it really was amazing. I have to be honest though, it didn't make it any less difficult! There were times that H and I turned to one another and said "should we find out?!" It was so hard not to cave at the anatomy scan, so I completely understand how you're feeling. I think that if you and your H are both resigned to staying team green, it will be so much easier to keep it that way. If one of you is waffling, and the other doesn't care either way, you'll probably just want to find out.

For us the nursery was going to be neutral either way. We did an owl theme and it was adorable for our little girl and would have been great for a little boy, too!

Looking back on it, I had a very long, ridiculous labor and not knowing gave me the focus to harness even more strength because I just wanted to find out if my baby was a girl or a boy.

I hope my perspective helps and I wish you a happy and healthy 9 months! Team green or not, you'll find out soon :)
  • Loading the player...
  • We were team green with DS and really enjoyed it! This time around I am leaning towards finding out just to have each experience. It's not that I didn't like it or have ANY regrets, it was such a beautiful surprise, I'm just curious now :)
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • I want to be team green so bad but my parents and sisters are starting to wear me down. I am to the point where I'm thinking about finding out just to shut them up. I know they are excited and want to start shopping but it's frustrating they don't understand this is important to me.

• I want to be team green so bad but my parents and sisters are starting to wear me down. I am to the point where I'm thinking about finding out just to shut them up. I know they are excited and want to start shopping but it's frustrating they don't understand this is important to me.

@autumnlynne1221 maybe I'm confusing you with someone else, but you're a sonogram tech (sorry if my terminology is incorrect!), right? Isn't it super hard to not find out when you have all of be knowledge and the tools to find out?!
  • We were Team Green for our first, and are for this one as well. 

I never waivered, neither did my husband. It is such a cool surprise and just makes the delivery that much more exciting IMO.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Team green was awesome. And easier than I thought it would be. I just told the tech I didn't want to know and she had me turn my head when she was close to that area. Then it was done and I no longer had the chance to know. Simple as that. I am team green this time, but only because at my last two u/ss, I was given different answers with a "don't take my word for it." I'll have other chances to find out, but I figure I've made it this far with no solid answer, I might as well wait another 18 weeks.
  • VS2016VS2016 member
    edited November 2015
    We were team green with my first baby and I loved it! When that moment came and my husband said "it's a girl!" It was amazing! We are finding out this time because it was my decision for the first one and I let my husband pick this time around.
  • Jenly17 said:

I want to be team green so bad but my parents and sisters are starting to wear me down. I am to the point where I'm thinking about finding out just to shut them up. I know they are excited and want to start shopping but it's frustrating they don't understand this is important to me.

@autumnlynne1221 maybe I'm confusing you with someone else, but you're a sonogram tech (sorry if my terminology is incorrect!), right? Isn't it super hard to not find out when you have all of be knowledge and the tools to find out?!
    Yes I'm a sonographer. I honesty try to never scan myself. I only have a few times when I had some strongs cramps. I have a coworker who will scan me probably every other week. I trust her not to say anything now that I'm 16 weeks and the sex is becoming more detectable. A lot of sonographers are team green because the office gender reveals are becoming tiresome. We want to make a point of what is really important. We all blame Pinterest lol. Thank goodness I only do a little OB.
    But yes having the power to find out the sex any day I like may just be to much for me. If my family keeps pushing I'll probably give in because I'm so tired of hearing them complain.

• edited November 2015
    I was wavering but leaning towards team green. Today I was asked during my appointment if I would like to know. I said yes almost immediately. No self control. But the baby wouldn't cooperate. So I have another chance to be team green. :)
  • We are team green this time but found out with our other children. My DH and I wanted to do something different for our last baby but it has been SO difficult. I had the harmony test done around 11 weeks and the OB informed me that she knew the sex already and I could find out at any time. I am trying to be strong and keep reminding myself that the big moment will be worth it. It helps to hear stories from people that went through it and say it was wonderful.
  • I'm the only one in my family wanting to wait! Everyone else teases me that I'm going to cave. And my resolve has been so strong up until now that I'm starting to feel kicks and rolls and dreaming about what my baby is like :-) Hearing team green stories definitely helps the dream stay alive!
  • We were Team Green for our daughter and will be for this baby as well. It is fun! Excruciating, but fun lol. These are my best two reasons:
    1. That moment in the delivery room when you find out is the COOLEST. Plus I swear it made me push harder! And besides, you're gonna find out one way or another, and to do it the old school way is better. This time around I want them to let my husband announce it since it was my midwife who told us last time.

2. It drives everyone else absolutely insane. Like, I couldn't get friends and family to stop obsessing over the private parts of my unborn child. And honestly, their torture is kind of entertaining, as much as I hate to say it. I just wanted a healthy baby and didn't care either way, but everyone else was more excited than I was! It just gave the entire experience of being pregnant and getting excited an extra layer of thrill.

Go Team Green! :)
  • Team green is SO fun! I highly recommend if you can. It wasn't hard for me or my husband and our families were really supportive about it (no pressure there!). We have a son and a daughter (8 & 5). This time it's twins and we decided to find out. At my NT scan the sonographer was able to tell us one was a boy. So weird to experience finding out in a Drs office compared to having that ooey, gooey baby shown to you after being in labor for hours. We did a simple gender reveal party to find out the other twin (also a boy) and that was a little more exciting. ;) I'm glad to know and plan ahead this time and prepare the kids but there really is nothing like a surprise at delivery. :) GL!
  • I was Team Green with my son (until it got spoiled at the last second! Ugh!) and loved it. For whatever reason, it drove everyone else absolutely crazy and they begged us to find out, but my body, my baby, my decision! Also, I felt like I knew since the first BFP that he was a boy and it didn't seem like that big of a deal since there were so many other things to learn about his personality and who he is as an individual. I was more excited when he kicked really hard during Patriot's games or would calm down to a certain song than getting definitive confirmation that he had a penis. At the anatomy scan, I kept asking about his brain and heart and limbs. I think the sonographer actually appreciated that I was more interested in the overall health and loved pointing out all the structures and unique things like his giant hands and feet and the fact that we could already tell he had my chin. 

Since this nugget was a surprise and we live in a 2 bedroom house, there are practical reasons we want to find out the sex (like if we can have the kids sharing a room in a few years or if MH needs to start working on a dividing wall to break up my son's room into 2). Also, I honestly have no gut feeling or mother's intuition regarding the sex of this baby. It is weird, but I really feel like it could go either way. Lastly, I want to be able to prepare my son and just saying there is going to be a new baby can be confusing, where as if I can be more specific and say a baby sister or brother, that might help him understand a bit more.

Both paths have their pros and cons. I would say just do what you feel is right. You can always have the sonographer write it down and seal it in an envelope and then decide later if you want to look or not.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Why does it make family so nutty?? We already have all the baby gear we need, and few newborn boy clothes on hand just in case (but the baby is just gonna be in diapers, the plain white shirts from the hospital, and a swaddle anyhow...) I don't get why my family heaps on the pressure. I love all of your stories about being team green! @laurenmdrn16 How did you find out at the last minute?
  • So, I've done it both ways. We were Team Green for our first baby, and found out with our second.
    Hands down, Team Green was 10000% more exciting. It just was... For us and everyone waiting to find out. My shower I got everything I registered for and no clothes.. It was great!
    This is #3, and were not finding out again. I just loved that experience SO much more than finding out early.
  • Also, my husband got to announce in the delivery room what the baby was... It was awesome. I'll never forget it! "OMG! It's a BOY! We have a son! And he's HUGE!" lol
  • We were team green last time and were convinced it was a boy. Before my due date I almost took all the girl clothes out of the closet I was that convinced. We an ultrasound each week for the last 5 weeks because of my daughter's heart and I made it clear we did not want to know the sex. I would look away when they would tell me they were heading near that area. It just made the wait worth it and was such a surprise! When she was born I asked what it was and could have gone without the dr. putting her baby vag in my face, but a girl! All of our family was shocked because of all the boys in the families. I highly recommend it and we are team green again!
  • araecasey said:
    Why does it make family so nutty?? We already have all the baby gear we need, and few newborn boy clothes on hand just in case (but the baby is just gonna be in diapers, the plain white shirts from the hospital, and a swaddle anyhow...) I don't get why my family heaps on the pressure. I love all of your stories about being team green! @laurenmdrn16 How did you find out at the last minute?
    @araecasey I had some complications and needed very frequent NST and US while on bedrest for the last month of pregnancy. When it was looking like I was going to have to deliver early (at 32-34 weeks), the US tech tried to reassure me and said "Well, boys' lungs tend to mature faster than girls' so your little guy should be fine if he needs to come early". Both MH and my mom heard it so we just tried to keep it a secret, but my older sister already knew from seeing the anatomy scan, so really it was just a surprise for my younger sister and my ILs. Oh, well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ugh such a bummer! It must be so hard for techs to keep everyone's preferences straight though. I think if we need more US in the future beyond our AS, I'll specify every time that we want to keep sex a surprise for the birth.