January 2016 Moms

Given medicine to stop contractions?

I went to the hospital yesterday because I was dizzy and light headed. They put me on a monitor and told me I was having contractions and I'm already 1 cm dilated and 75% effaced. I'm only 34w3d. They gave me medicine to stop the contractions and sent me home. Should I be worried or is this normal?

Re: Given medicine to stop contractions?

• Call your doctor and ask them.  That's what they are there for.

SPNG Tags Sam  Dean  Cas  Photoshop  WTF  Dancing  Funny  or disturbingLooking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif This blog organizes them so you dont have to spend hours hunting them down

DS1 01/08/03 DD1 08/11/04 DD2 10/06/08 DS2 09/30/14

SURPRISE!  Hannah May born 01/22/16

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

• I was given that shot to stop contractions on thanksgiving morning. After they gave you the medicine did they monitor you for awhile longer to make sure the contractions stopped before sending you home? It sounds like you weren't feeling them. I wouldn't be too concerned unless I started feeling them. Call your doctor and take it easy.
  • Loading the player...
  • lwebleylwebley member
    edited November 2015
    I was admitted at 29w (I'm now 34w). They have had me on Nifedipine ever since. They also gave me a Terbutaline sulfate injection while in triage, to stop contractions temporarily. I'm now on bed rest until she comes. Although it's not "normal", I think it's more common than you would think.
  • @MamaGooGoo I wasn't given a shot, it was a pill by mouth, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. After the medicine I was there for about an hour or 2. I noticed I was having them because my stomach was getting tight but I didn't have any pain along with them. I will call my doctor tomorrow because my next appointment isn't until the 8th and I'm not sure if the hospital contacted him.
  • I was on pro cardia/nifedipine from 26-34 which was last week. I consistently still had tightening through out even though they put me on modified bed rest. Did they tell you to restrict activity? The medicine just makes you comfortable. Definitely call your dr if they are coming on again. They always tell me if I contract to deal with it unless it's with pain, blood, or fluid.
  • You were probably given procardia, those are pills. They give you betamethasone shots to mature baby's lungs. I had both. I went from closed to 1cm in the span of 4 hours when I was 31 weeks so they admitted me to keep an eye on me and give me the medication. So far, so good in 34 weeks right now.
    Vincent 1.1.16 & Daniel 11.6.07
    In Memory of Barbara <3 , beloved mother and grandmother