January 2016 Moms

Anyone else trading anxiety for depression?

Or dealing with depression issues in the third trimester in general?  The hormones are hitting me HARD lately and it's really difficult to deal with.  I cried this weekend because I couldn't stop being rude and grouchy to my husband for no reason and then today and yesterday I've just literally woken up feeling depressed.  Weeks ago it was anxiety and I don't feel that anymore because depression has thoroughly taken its place.  I'm 31 weeks and 1 day - hoping this is just a temporary hormone bump and it'll even out.  Or, STMs - is the third tri just a super emotional, depression/hormone fueled ride?

I'm not in a place where I want to harm myself or anything, I just am really, really sad for absolutely no reason.  So frustrating!

Re: Anyone else trading anxiety for depression?

• I totally understand. That was me this weekend, some of the first trimester depression came back.

Sometimes I find if I've been focusing on 1 thing too much that it wears me out, so I've been trying to mix up what I tackle in a given day. For example, all over Thanksgiving weekend in was in baby prep mode, wanting to get everything done for her all at once. But then it led to "how the heck do I know if I got the right size Halo sleep sack? What if she needs slow flow nipples on her bottles past 1 month? Am I supposed to buy more?" Etc etc. So I'm trying to switch gears to work, house hunting, and taking care of myself (lavender bubble baths every night FTW) to keep myself from going into a funk. It's hard when you know more activity will help but everything hurts and good sleep is hard to come by! I hope you feel better soon!
  • I had PPD with my first. I didn't realize it at first cause it was all anxiety, but my therapist said that anxiety and depression are two sides of the same coin, so that's why you're probably trading one for the other. The third trimester is a little tougher I think. You're getting uncomfortable, you're just playing the waiting game, there's fear and excitement all going together.

One of the best helps I've had has been being productive. Finding something to put my energy into and avoiding lots of downtime for anxious thinking and stressing out. With depression it helps too just to give me something to be excited about.

There are gonna be back and forth days, and it may peak at some point. Make sure you talk to someone (DH, friend, family) and let them know when you're just feeling defeated. If you need professional help, seek it. It has helped me a lot to have an unbiased third party to talk to and help steer my thinking in these situations.

• Loading the player...
  • edited November 2015
    I just got out of this slump. It got really bad there for a few weeks, and at 32 weeks today I'm feeling MUCH more normal. I did as a pp mentioned. I have forced myself to do something productive every day. I set my alarm to be up at the same time every day regardless of if I had something to do that day or not, and the best thing I've done was make a list of 3 things that I could actually finish together in one day. It felt good to get things done instead of sit and sulk and I was doing things that actually needed to be done. It was a great confidence booster. Also to get myself out of the house and into the sun, I started taking my dog to the dog park whenever I got the chance. Sunlight for me and play time for him!

ETA: I also started drinking 2 tsp of magnesium (Natural Calm) per day. This fights against anxiety and depression naturally. Many people who suffer from clinical anxiety and depression are low on magnesium. It has also helped with my swelling, sleeping, constipation, asthma, and a number of other things. My body feels better = my mind feels better and vice versa
  • I'm a mix of both right now. This time of year is hard for me though because my mother died almost 2 years ago on my due date - and her birthdays is 12/27. So this is a really traumatic time of year even though I love the holidays. I think the depression and anxiety is sort of normal because it can be so overwhelming, we're over being pregnant - and if you're a STM you know how hard the newborn phase can be. I think about it and all I see is me not sleeping and being housebound.

Make sure you talk to someone and try to do things that will keep you preoccupied and not focusing on your negative thoughts. Maybe look up some relaxation techniques or even cognitive behavioral therapy techniques.
    Vincent 1.1.16 & Daniel 11.6.07
    In Memory of Barbara <3 , beloved mother and grandmother
  • Thanks so much for responding guys, I'm feeling better today.  I've been good about talking about my depressed feelings with my husband and I'll mention it to my OB when I see her next Thursday, too.  I'm hoping it's just a hormone bump and I'll feel more like myself soon.  (I did have that happen for a week or two in the first tri and then leveled out.) 

Anyway, either way, I've only got 8 weeks and 5 days to go, so at least that's helping - to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  :)

@yvessaintlauren - I'm so sorry about your mother.  It must be incredibly hard to have so many dates related to her coming up, with her birthday and the due date.  I lost my father years ago and I remember being a year or two out from his death it was still SO raw and fresh.  Sending you lots of hugs.

@madisonwallace - I will have to try that magnesium thing!  I've heard it can be helpful with a lot of different things, so never hurts to try!
  • You have to do it consecutively for it to work best. I don't love the taste but I've definitely gotten used to it! Let me know what you think!
  • @maddisonwallace can you find that stuff in a regular drugstore? I'd definitely like to try it out!