July 2015 Moms

Dry skin or allergic reaction? Thoughts?

Ftm and I finding my baby with small tine bumps (too small to see but can feel them) as well as some dry patches on his skin. I give him one serving of baby oatmeal before bed and a bath before bed. I guess I don't know if I am bathing him too much (dry skin?) or if it's the cereal? I use lotion on him through the day. I was using bert's bees and switched to the babyorganics (or whatever it's called) to see if it was a reaction to the bert's bees.

What are your thoughts? Allergy to food, too much bathing, is it the brand? Or is it just weather related because we are in Michigan?

Re: Dry skin or allergic reaction? Thoughts?

• I'm in Michigan as well and my LO had the same thing. We have done oatmeal as well and we bathe every other night. At his 4 month appt last week I brought it up with his pediatrician and she gave me samples of Baby Eucerin Eczema. I put it on him in the morning and at night regardless if he just had a bath. It seems to be helping a lot. I think with the changing weather and it becoming more dry, his skin just needed something a little thicker. I had been using California Baby and I just don't think it was enough.
  • I've noticed that on my son also in the last couple of days. It's getting really cold here in MD and I think it might be the weather. He is EBF and no solids or cereal yet, so It might just be dry skin or so. It doesn't seem to bother him, I just Aveeno cream on him after bathing and his face. If you're worried ask your ped but I think it's the weather. I hope your little one gets better and everything works out! Good luck mama! :smile:
  • Loading the player...
  • It seems like eczema. I was bathing LO everyday and she started with the dry patches and bumps. I bathe her every two days now. I also use Shae moisture and its cleared up.
  • The way you're describing it, it's probably eczema. My LO gets patches on his cheeks and has one tiny one on each of his legs. The trick is to MOISTURIZE! We're using Baby Cerave and when he has flare ups, we put a thin layer of hydrocortisone 1% ointment because the colloidal oatmeal (the active ingredient in Aveeno and Eucerin eczema) wasn't working for him.

Good luck!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Thanks everyone. I saw special lotion for eczema but wasn't sure if it was that serious. I will monitor it a bit more and if it isn't clearing up much more I will contact his pediatrician to talk about it to be on the safe side. :-)
  • We switched her body wash to the Earth Mama Baby Angel stuff, and her eczema has gotten so much better. Curse the cold Canadian weather and her mamas genetics.