May 2016 Moms

OT: Sig/O Holiday Gifts

vinerievinerie member
edited November 2015 in May 2016 Moms
For those that exchange gifts this time of the year, what are you planning on getting your sig-o? I am a little stumped this year and am leaning between a couple ideas, one of which involves baby. Any thoughts on doing baby-related gifts?

My baby idea is a hiking backback in which he can carry our little one in on hikes once he's old enough. My non baby idea is this camera lens attachment that will enhance the zoom (I bought him a nice zoom lens for his camera for his birthday, which he really likes (he likes to take pictures of nature when we hike).  The Best Buy salesperson told me about this attachment that will enhance the zoom even more, without having to upgrade to the next level lens (which is another $500 to $1,000. So, yeah, the attachment is what he's getting next vs. a new lens!)

I also found these artisan dark bourbon cherries for manhattans (My hubs likes a good Manhattan) that I think I will use as a stocking stuffer. I'll probably also get him some cute/soft ironic T-shirt. I have my eye on a couple. 

What are your ideas? Also...who is giving baby-related stuff? I personally would love that, but I'm not sure if the hubs will or not. Thoughts?
Me: 38; DH: 41
DS: Born 5-17-16 

Re: OT: Sig/O Holiday Gifts

• I got DH a membership to Harrys.com- a razor club. 
    Today I got him a tee shirt that says "Fitness? More like fittin this whole pizza in my mouth"... makes me LOL
    Other than that I am stumped. I want to get him one big gift, but I don't know what. I know he wants a new steeler jersey, but I hate to spend $100+ on something he wont get a ton of use out of...

I love your idea of the baby backpack, especially if that's something you guys will get a lot of use out of! Great idea :)
    I would like to get him something baby related, but nothing really fits the bill for him. 

cat fail animated GIF

• @yogahh I like the harry's.com idea. Last year I successfully convinced my H to grow a beard, so I can't steal that idea as I love the beard! 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm totally at a loss too, so hopefully this thread brings me some ideas! Usually I get him some tool he wants as his big gift and then a couple little things but he has most of the tools he wants now so I am having to start from scratch.

I think the baby backpack is a great gift!
  • DH always gets a new pair of jeans, flannel, and either new white T-shirts, underwear, or socks (this year its T-shirts). Everyone gets a new pair of PJs and an ornament in our household. Beyond that, this year he's getting a new scarf, hat & gloves set, Redvines for his stocking, and we're adding a chunk of money to his retirement account. We do a "from Santa to us" gift each year too because I'm cheesy. In the past it's been sheets for our bed or a cuddle-blanket for the livingroom. This year it's a new set of towels (monogrammed because we always end up using the same towel somehow since I shower at night and he showers in the morning...DH actually requested these b/c of this.)

In past years, I've gotten him new boots, a Leatherman, a Carhart jacket for outside work, tools of various kinds, books or movies, sweaters, video-game/computer stuff, etc. 

Last year, I had a picture of DS and him enlarged and framed, but I don't think I did anything baby-related when I was pregnant.
  • This year Husband and I decided to forego gifts for each other and just do fun stocking stuffers (limiting the total to $20), that way we save some money for when baby comes.
  • I was going to get him a new drill and impact driver set but our financial situation changed. We decided not to exchange gifts this year. I'm a bit bummed because I am an excellent gift giver and love surprising him. Last year was surprise Alan Jackson tickets (he didn't even know AJ was coming to our state so huge surprise). But what little money we have for gifts will be going to our DD this year. Much more important. :)

Like @valerie4786 we will still be doing stocking stuffers. I'll give him $20 cash to spend on mine and vice versa (I balance the checkbook, etc. so it has to be cash so I don't figure out what stuff is based on where he shopped).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• I'm stumped on DH this year. I'll be getting something related to baby for one. And we'll be opening the anatomy scan results on Christmas which we both kinda consider to be our main gift. So I really have no idea... :|
  • I'm seriously impressed by everyone and their planning ways! I'm such a procrastinator, I usually don't start thinking about what to get my H until the week before Christmas.

• Oh! Just remembered what I got DH the year I was pg with DD. He had this picture book he really liked as a kid. He still owned it but it was in rough shape. I found it online for far more than I would ever spend for a picture book but for Christmas, why not? He loved getting a new copy that he could safely read to DD.

TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Costco had the PS4 on sale for under 300. DH got one big gift this year, I LOVE spoiling him. 
  • Oh! Just remembered what I got DH the year I was pg with DD. He had this picture book he really liked as a kid. He still owned it but it was in rough shape. I found it online for far more than I would ever spend for a picture book but for Christmas, why not? He loved getting a new copy that he could safely read to DD.
    That is an excellent idea!! 

• DH and I have a competition every day on how many steps we take according to our iPhone app. Since he doesn't always have his phone on him I'm getting him a Fitbit HR which will still allow us to have our competitions and this gives us some good motivation for keeping fit during this pregnancy as he's been indulging on most of my cravings lol. Since he's deploying a month after baby is born and we won't have any contact from what we've been told, I also got him a book of envelopes and letters with ideas for letters to baby. That way, since he's missing so many moments in baby's first year, he will be able to write "what he's allowed to" about what he was doing throughout his time away. Also, I've bought several baby books and I'm going to record DH reading them on DVD so I can play them for the baby while he's away. Nice little basket of goodies.
  • My DH is so hard to buy for.  You can ask him for a list until you are blue in the face.  I think part of the problem is he doesn't know what he wants half the time.  Perfect example is five years ago, we went shopping and I let him pick out some clothes for part of his Christmas b/c he is super picky about shirts.  Wrapped them up and gave them to him.  Five years later they still have the tags on them!  He doesn't even like what he picks out himself!  One thing he gets every year now is Carhart (I probably did not spell that correctly) jeans.  He mentioned a long time ago about wanting a pair but not wanting to pay that kind of money for blue jeans.  So I've been getting them for him for Christmas.  Not to mention that sometimes you can get them at a decent low price if you catch them on sale.  So this year he is getting jeans.  And just for a gag type of gift I got him a Justin Bieber dvd since he loves his new song on the radio.  I could not let that one slide lmao.  Have no idea what else to get him.   He said gas gift cards would be good.  Then I reminded him that I got  him those three years ago and he has yet to remember to use them lol.  And men say women are difficult to buy for!  HA!

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • My DH is so hard to buy for.  You can ask him for a list until you are blue in the face..... And men say women are difficult to buy for!  HA!
    DH will give me a list...but he has expensive taste! We try to keep it to $100 limit when we actually exchange gifts but most the stuff he wants is over that. He only got a great gift last year as I told him not to get me anything so I could combine both amounts (the concert also involved two nights in a hotel/weekend away type thing and was right around our anniversary so it was a big combo gift). Yes, men are seriously hard to shop for.

• My H is SO hard to shop for! I am thinking that I am going to get him a home brew kit for beer and maybe a homemade pizza kit. H loves pizza and beer and I think it would be fun for him to do it at home.
  • We don't give each other gifts but maybe give him the lens enhancer for Christmas and the hiking backpack when baby is born as a becoming a father gift or you could even wait until fathers day since it is not too long after when you'll have LO and before they will be able to use it.
  • My SO is "Skate till death" advocate. (As in skateboarding for those who may not know) I ordered him some stuff this morning from Zumiez since they were partaking in Cyber Monday. I'm also going to get him a gift card to Ambush Skate Co. Maybe this is considered cheating because it's more for the baby and for me to oggle and Ahhh at when the baby wears them, but I ordered cute little vans socks and a pair toddler vans ( I know that's way off in the distance) so that the baby can be a little skater like her or his daddy. I just think it's oober cute, I'm not too concerned on much he appreciate the baby socks and shoes lol.
  • So far all I've gotten DH is a sons of anarchy freezer mug and a minion Christmas ornament. :/ He hasn't really given me any ideas like he usually does so I am a little stumped. I wanted to get him Zelda Monopoly but when I went to order it this morning, it was sold out! :(

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • So far all I've gotten DH is a sons of anarchy freezer mug and a minion Christmas ornament. :/ He hasn't really given me any ideas like he usually does so I am a little stumped. I wanted to get him Zelda Monopoly but when I went to order it this morning, it was sold out! :(
    I'm not sure what price you are aiming for, but Amazon has it for 31.99  https://www.amazon.com/MONOPOLY-Legend-Zelda-Collectors-Edition/dp/B00K3EYT50
  • My husband got a new dirt bike over the summer. So this year will be different riding gear. I thought of something baby related but I don't know what. 
  • *Stupid Mobile Bump kept deleting my post....*

DH is really hard to shop for, as he likes to splurge at Christmas but then gives me $5 and $10 gift ideas.  Last year I spent 2 hours in Kohls scouring for ideas.  Every time we adopt a pet he gets a coffee mug with their pictures on it, but this year it came out looking chintzy :(  I found several seasons of the Big Bang Theory for $10 each on Black Friday, and I'll look into some items for the garage but I don't even know what he wants, let alone what he needs. 

• My DH has been wanting to get a new bow for hunting for awhile, but it takes him a looooong time to figure out what he wants... And it might cost $900 HA! What a funny guy. He will be getting some new board games, a really cool wire tree statue for his office, and I will let him pick out some nice sunglasses (another purchase he has been thinking about for months). I think he has also talked about needing a hatchet so I will try to find a cool one of those as well.
  • EErin86 said:
    My DH has been wanting to get a new bow for hunting for awhile, but it takes him a looooong time to figure out what he wants... And it might cost $900 HA! What a funny guy. He will be getting some new board games, a really cool wire tree statue for his office, and I will let him pick out some nice sunglasses (another purchase he has been thinking about for months). I think he has also talked about needing a hatchet so I will try to find a cool one of those as well.

Wire tree statue sounds like something my H would like. (He loves all things nature.) did an artist make it, or did you buy it somewhere else; if it's the latter, do you have a link?

• I'm stumped on my hubby too. The only things hes told me he'd like I ended up telling other people because I have no idea! We're only doing stockings for each other this year anyway, so I'll probably just get him some of his favorite candy and a new movie with some popcorn or something. The one thing he really wanted I just had my "sister" (she's not, I'm an only child, but we grew up like sisters so that's what I call her) buy him last night because I had no other ideas for. She got him the new wwe video game lol he hadn't mentioned even wanting a game in so long I figured someone better get it for him! Lol
  • - Teuscher chocolate gnome (same as every year) + smaller Teuscher chocolate figurines that I hide around the house for him to find in the days leading up to Christmas
    - Sterling caviar (also same as every year)
    - gift certificate to have some clothes made at Proper Cloth
    - maybe a baby backpack, although I might let my parents buy that for him since they're always desperate to know what to get him
  • Oh and I stole another idea from this board: we'll start a new tradition of buying ornaments together every year, so by the time Kermit is old enough to understand what a tree is, we'll have enough nice ones to decorate our little mini tree for the condo (the big tree will of course be at the grandparents' house). :)
  • Tickets to US Virgin Islands in February and a new bullet proof vest for work. I also do stocking stuffers: DO, body wash, candy, toothbrush, cologne, knick knacks (last year I got him a small tool that converts to smaller versions of flathead screwdriver, tweezers, etc), Shout wipes for work (or Tide pen), antibacterial hand sanitizer, gum, Mios, and actually this year I got him a really pretty crystal bourbon holder (yep..I'm not fancy and don't know the right name) since I made him a makeshift bar last year. I also am baking him a baby.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• vinerie said:
    EErin86 said:
    My DH has been wanting to get a new bow for hunting for awhile, but it takes him a looooong time to figure out what he wants... And it might cost $900 HA! What a funny guy. He will be getting some new board games, a really cool wire tree statue for his office, and I will let him pick out some nice sunglasses (another purchase he has been thinking about for months). I think he has also talked about needing a hatchet so I will try to find a cool one of those as well.

Wire tree statue sounds like something my H would like. (He loves all things nature.) did an artist make it, or did you buy it somewhere else; if it's the latter, do you have a link?
    I found it at a craft fair, and unfortunately the artist doesn't have a website, but this is super similar

if you google search "wire tree sculpture" there are other options as well. They really look cool and is something I hadn't seen before.
  • I like to get my husband local artwork - he buys whatever he wants/needs, loves good design, and even if he's not crazy about it, at least it decorates our house! Just looked up and realized that PPs are on the same page as well.

I vote NO baby-related gifts! As the youngest child in a family with no grandkids yet, I reminded my mom that this is my last Christmas where "I'm still the baby!" I am crazy about Christmas, and as excited as I am to put on Christmas for my baby in the future, I also want to fully appreciate this one without it already being baby-centric. I don't think my husband feels this strongly about it, but I'm going to treat him the same. We'll do baby stuff once the baby's actually here - I also just hate getting gifts that sit around and are useless for the next several months.
  • I got my husband a new video game and DVD. I wanted to get my husband a new patriots jersey but I agree with @yogahh and they're so expensive for how little it'll get worn. My sister though is doing a new dad survival kit for my husband and got the baby a patriots jersey (in a twelve month so hopefully they'll get two seasons out of it) so I thought it would be so cute to get them matching ones. Just going to wait and see if I can find any cheaper
  • In the past I've gotten dh a welder, gun safe, Carhart jacket, wireless Bluetooth headphones for running, calculator watch, all sorts of tools... I'll probably get DH something along the lines of a nice belt buckle, a car battery charger, wench for the truck, some sort of outdoors magazine (any suggestions?), a good book, maybe shoes or a bose speaker.. He's a frugal guy and spends most his time outdoors. So whatever I get him will have to be something he'll use a lot.
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • thismakes4thismakes4 member
    edited December 2015
    Just my two cents but I would probably consider a hiking baby backpack for fathers day. And get dh something he can use now for himself.

Eta: I can't spell today
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • I'd be happy to get baby related gifts from anyone other than DH so I'm definitely not getting him one. Baby stuff will take over soon enough!

He has mentioned a few things recently: new running shoes (really needed!), Ray bans, tools. It'll be one of those although honestly he is so bad at gifts that we will each pick 1 thing we want & get it. No surprise but also no disappointment ;)
  • I'm splurging this year and getting DH his dream guitar. I found it sae for way too much, but he has been looking to replace his old electric, and since this will be the last year we are baby-free I figured it would be a good year to spoil ourselves. We usually end up getting something music or work related (we are both musicians and I work in wine as a sommelier, he owns a bar). Also, lots of small stocking stuffers! New coffee mugs, candy, new earphones, fun socks, etc.
  • I'm getting DH running boards for his truck. He's been wanting them for over a year, and this preggo will need more help getting into the truck in the future :)

I also do "12 Days of Christmas" for him each year. I start on the 1st, and give him a small gift each day through the 12th. I try to get gifts that go along with the number that day (but it's too hard some days). For example, he's getting a PAIR of underwear tomorrow, 5 packs of gum on the 5th, a $10 gift card on the 10th, etc. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• @doozer1345 Which islands are you going to ? We went to  St. Croix for our honeymoon.
  • I bought a kindle paperwhite on the black friday sale. He also has a Breitling watch that he's been wanting to get cleaned and serviced which is several hundred, so I'm trying to steal his watch when he won't notice it. I'm so mad at myself though - thinkgeek had a millennium falcon waffle iron last month that I should have bought. I decided to wait, and now they are sold out and backordered. Boo!
  • @doozer1345 Which islands are you going to ? We went to  St. Croix for our honeymoon.

St Johns he thinks (haha). He's going by himself. I'll be too pg to go. His best friend from college lives there. My hope is he will come home refreshed and relaxed and ready to have another baby :)

Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I pretty much always get a list from DH so it's easy. He is the king of super thoughtful, personalized gifts so I try to include some things he wouldn't expect either. He's getting 3 French cuff shirts, a reallllly expensive tie that he's dying to have, and personalized cuff links. They have the latitude and longitude of where we met on them. I always have to buy him socks and peppermint bark as well.

• I'm bumping up this thread because I went to buy this camera attachment I referred to in the original post and it is $450. I was thinking it would be $150! So, I'm back to square one on ideas!