3rd Trimester
Options

Need to vent

I know pregnancy hormones cause us to be a lot more emotional and I have definitely been experiencing that first hand more so lately than I have throughout my entire pregnancy (30.5 weeks).
What bothers me though is that because I am pregnant, very few people take my emotions seriously. Everything I say or feel is stamped "pregnancy". I generally am a vocal person anyways but I have been more vocal because with certain situations I think I have the right to be because it has to do with decisions for my baby.
But there is nothing that I have reacted to that I wouldn't have reacted to before. I may just shed a few more tears or be more heightened than what I would have prior to pregnancy. It causes me a lot of frustration because even though my husband or my other family members will try and console me, that's all they're doing... They're not really listening. They're not really hearing the issue and trying to help change it because they can't see past the "pregnancy hormones". It comes across as very patronizing as if they're secretly laughing it off in their minds.
I dealt with it even at work. It was like as soon as everyone found out I was pregnant people quit considering my opinion because apparently pregnant women suddenly don't know how to rationalize anything.
This is very hard to deal with for someone who is a very logical thinker.

Does anyone else feel this way? If so, how do you deal with it?
I have talked to my husband about it some, and he seems to try to understand but I don't notice a lot changing which doesn't help with how I feel and respond to things. It makes me feel very alone and irritated all the time.

Re: Need to vent

• Options
    Yes. Thr most annoying thing is that my husband is, and always has been, the highly emotional one. He's gotten to have all the mood swings and everything that irritates him has to be taken seriously immediately. When I tell him what I need or on rare occasions get emotional, he just makes a point of downplaying it or worse, going on about how it is all affecting him. At work, I had a furious amount of travel in my first two trimesters and when I put a stop to that finally I began to feel a genuine sense of being pandered to. To the point where I have begun to feel not useful on my current team and feel resentful. It just seems that everybody around me has told me what they need and want and told me what I need and want but nobody has asked me what I need or want or listened to me when I try to tell them. I don't like people thinking they know more about what's right for me than I do. And I worry that this dismissive disrespect will carry over into parenthood for me,
  • Options
    This is my pet peeve about pregnancy. I feel like a lot of times pregnant women throw the excuse around, too, which doesn't help anything. I felt like people were starting to discount my opinions, too, early on so I have made it a point to never have an emotional "outburst." I am 38 weeks now and I can say that I haven't had any. This has helped immensely, especially because my DH will back me up when people try to say something about a "hormonal pregnant woman." The instructor at our child birth class made a joke about that, and he was the first to tell her that I was quite the opposite.

Just do your best to keep your personality the same. There is nothing wrong with feeling more emotional, obviously, but do your best to control your actions in response to the feelings, then when people try to discount you, point out that you have been under control and the opinion that you are voicing now is the same as it would be if you weren't pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't had this issue with those I'm closecto. However, with many others around me, I get told I'm overly emotional because of being pregnant. Which MIGHT be true, in some ways. Since I was very "hardened" pre pregnancy. But I did show some emotion. What makes it worse, is that most people around me refuse to take md seriously because of me being pregnant, and brush off everything I say because "That's just the hormones talking!" I'm use to being brushed off by many people, it's just worse since I have been pregnant. It's soooo annoying!

So, what I have done, is tried to distance myself MORE from these kind of people. Because if I don't, I am actually pretty easy to make really mad, and will flip out. And the pregnancy hormones have REALLY upped that attitude! I guess that's just the "mama bear" instincts really kicking in. Lol! But I understand where you're coming from. It's very annoying, and frustrating!
  • Options
    I keep emotional outbursts to a minimum unless I'm by myself or with my SO. And anytime hormones come up in regards to myself I am quick to shut that line of thinking down. I make it clear that I would feel that way regardless of pregnancy and that I think it's inappropriate to chalk my emotions up to being hormonal, pregnant etc.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I can say I really haven't had any emotional outbursts per say, but tears flow more frequently when I'm upset now. And like I mentioned, I am slightly more vocal about my opinions. We've also dealt with a lot this pregnancy because our anatomy scan had some things on it so we've had to go to a lot of doctors appointments which I think is what has caused even more emotions.
    There's just a lot on our plates so I think anyone regardless of pregnancy or not would feel a lot of the way that I do. My husbands temper has even been worse, not always directed at me but I can see his anger rise quickly with many situations and he's not pregnant!! Lol. My point in saying that is clearly the things I get upset about are not just due to pregnancy. I really try to think through everything before I speak because I don't want the hormones to be what's talking.
    I really just need encouragement and prayer.
  • Options
    Oh yeah. It's SUPER annoying. I hate the way (men in particular) coddle me and say "it's ok...calm down" it really irritates me. Which makes me more mad. Which makes me react more. It's annoying. 
    BabyFruit Ticker