May 2016 Moms

Baby Gear Recommendation Thread

As the holiday deals are upon us, I find myself buying more for this VERY spoiled child, but not sure where to start. So for us FTMS, or even repeat moms looking for new gear, I thought we can have a thread of questions and recommendations since there is just SOOOOOOO much stuff out there to look at and select from. its actually pretty overwhelming!

I bought the Britax travel system I posted about on Friday (!!) and now have my Kohls cash to spend this week. Looking at bouncers and have some questions:

Ideally would like something that baby can both sleep in next to our bed as well as chill in during the day. Just wondering if anyone has experience with these and what your recommendations are?

Fisher-Price Comfort Curve Bouncer
Fisher-Price Newborn Rock 'N Play Sleeper
Comfort & Harmony Cradling Bouncer - Cozy Kingdom
Fisher-Price Luminosity Bouncer

Also, apologize if this is a dumb question but are any of these recommended for long stretches of sleeping? Is baby ok sleeping in this position?

cat fail animated GIF

Re: Baby Gear Recommendation Thread

• kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited November 2015
    Rock N' Plays are commonly used for sleep (or the Graco lounger which is similar) because the baby can lay flat. Technically, the manuals generally say not for overnight sleep though. Bouncers and swings are not safe to use for sleep stretches.

Honestly, I loved having a rocker/lounger and found it so be very versatile (we even used it outside). Having a Pack N' Play was a must for us too. We didn't use a bouncer and didn't use a swing much either.  

Edited typos

• kbrands7 said:
    Rock N' Plays are commonly used for sleep (or the Graco lounger which is similar) because the baby can lay flat. Technically, the manuals generally say not for overnight sleep though. Bouncers and swings are not safe to use for sleep stretches.

Honestly, I loved having a rocker/lounger and found it so be very versatile (we even used it outside). Having a Pack N' Play was a must for us too. We didn't use a bouncer and didn't use a swing much either.  

Edited typos

Is a pack and play just a playpen? 
    I am trying to figure out what to use in our room to have the baby sleep for the 1st few weeks. Any suggestions? We dont have a ton of room, so something small would be best!

cat fail animated GIF

• Loading the player...
  • @yogahh Most pack and plays do come with a bassinet that you can use in the beginning. You're probably going to want something that can be the same height as your bed and fit right up close to it to have easy access for nighttime feedings.We're going to get a HALO bassinet for our LO's early months. It's pricey but very well reviewed everywhere and will fit perfectly in our space.

https://www.amazon.com/Bassinest-Swivel-Sleeper-Bassinet-Premiere/dp/B00JXN54DI/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1448896229&sr=1-1&keywords=halo+bassinest+swivel+sleeper
  • Ditto to the Halo Bassinest - it's not cheap but I have my heart set on one; I think it will fit perfectly into our cramped bedroom. DH really wants us to use the one he used as a baby which his mom still has - I told him I'd "consider" it (we're getting the Bassinest).
  • @yogahh Most pack and plays do come with a bassinet that you can use in the beginning. You're probably going to want something that can be the same height as your bed and fit right up close to it to have easy access for nighttime feedings.We're going to get a HALO bassinet for our LO's early months. It's pricey but very well reviewed everywhere and will fit perfectly in our space.

https://www.amazon.com/Bassinest-Swivel-Sleeper-Bassinet-Premiere/dp/B00JXN54DI/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1448896229&sr=1-1&keywords=halo+bassinest+swivel+sleeper
    Thanks! That thing looks like a rocket! 
    I keep thinking I have everything we need on our wish list, but then something else crops up!

cat fail animated GIF

• I've heard really good things about the rock n play. We never got one with DD and she was an awful sleeper, so I'm thinking this time we'll make the investment.

Speaking of being an awful sleeper, the only thing we could lay her down in for a nap after she was already asleep was a swing. She loved her swing! They do make swing/bouncer combos too if you don't want to buy 2 separate pieces. The one we have hooks onto the swing or can be set on the floor as a bouncer.
  • yogahh said:

As the holiday deals are upon us, I find myself buying more for this VERY spoiled child, but not sure where to start. So for us FTMS, or even repeat moms looking for new gear, I thought we can have a thread of questions and recommendations since there is just SOOOOOOO much stuff out there to look at and select from. its actually pretty overwhelming!

I bought the Britax travel system I posted about on Friday (!!) and now have my Kohls cash to spend this week. Looking at bouncers and have some questions:

Ideally would like something that baby can both sleep in next to our bed as well as chill in during the day. Just wondering if anyone has experience with these and what your recommendations are?

Fisher-Price Comfort Curve Bouncer
    Fisher-Price Newborn Rock 'N Play Sleeper
    Comfort & Harmony Cradling Bouncer - Cozy Kingdom

Also, apologize if this is a dumb question but are any of these recommended for long stretches of sleeping? Is baby ok sleeping in this position?
    Of those I would go with the rock n play since it's great for sleep. But if you have a multiple story house, I would register for another bouncer like seat so you can have one down stairs too. It probably seems like a lot, but it's nice to have "stations" in both places so you don't have to carry things all over the house when you want to put baby down.
  • We used the rock and play in the living room. It's great for smaller spaces, easily folds up and tucks behind a couch. You'll want to stop using the rock and play once baby can turn over but it was great for the first weeks/months. Last time we used the baby home dream cot for nights, but it required getting out of bed to scoop up the baby and a friend highly recommended the Halo bassinet, so thinking that would be a better option. I also love that the sides are mesh, better for seeing baby and safer.
  • I loved my Arm's Reach Cosleeper(regular size not the mini) with my 1st. It hooks to the bed so baby cannot slide between bed and the Cosleeper. The side folds downs making it very nice for those middle of the nights feelings. The Rock N Play is great for nap time. If anybody is looking at strollers I absolutely love my Bumble Ride Indie. I tried what I thought was a nice stroller from Target and hated it. The Bumble Ride saved my back as it's so easy to push. It was worth every penny!

• yogahh said:
    kbrands7 said:

Edited typos

Is a pack and play just a playpen? 
    I am trying to figure out what to use in our room to have the baby sleep for the 1st few weeks. Any suggestions? We dont have a ton of room, so something small would be best!
    It can be used with a bassinet (DS slept in our room with that until he outgrew the bassinet weight limit at 3 months), or as a play pen. Mostly, we used it as a safe-place in the living room if we had to run and grab something from a different room once he wasn't consistently sleeping in it anymore and we use it to travel or outside for a safe, soft space.

• My best friend has a 7 month old and SWORE by her Rock and Play for her newborn to sleep in for the first few months.  It's also easy to transport - she lives about 3 hours away from me and when she came down with her husband and daughter over the summer that's what they brought for her to sleep in.
  • I also recommend the Rock and Play, only place my son slept for about 6 months...great for travel too.

Woombie Lil' Houdini swaddler was a dream for sleeping.

And the book Happiest Baby on the Block

Those were the 3 most significant things we had/used for first 6 months!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • So while we are on the topic of what to have baby sleep in, I personally would prefer to start LO off in the crib. I understand that having him in the room is easier for middle of the night feeding and changing, but is it really necessary? I would like to get into a routine ASAP. 

Thanks @valarie4786. I am still leaning to the rock and play. We have a small apartment, and having too many baby things around will be claustrophobic!

Appreciate all the feedback!! 
    Other bumpers must have questions though. I dont want to be the special snowflake today ;)

cat fail animated GIF

• yogahh said:
    So while we are on the topic of what to have baby sleep in, I personally would prefer to start LO off in the crib. I understand that having him in the room is easier for middle of the night feeding and changing, but is it really necessary? I would like to get into a routine ASAP. 

The only reason we didn't start in the crib was my c-section. It hurt to lean over the crib. I'm 5'3" and the side of the crib hit right at my incision. If I don't have a RCS we will be starting this baby straight in the crib in it's own room.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• I had DD in the Rock & play next to me for the first four months. This way I could obsessively look at her while she was sleeping to make sure she was breathing, haha. Also I just couldn't get enough of her even when I was wayyyyy beyond tired. Even though she was right next to me, I nursed her in her room. That way I could have the lights on and nurse while H was sleeping.

After 4 months, I put her in her crib and she was fine. I was missing her, but she was just fine.
  • kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited November 2015

@yogahh I know that some babies will sleep in their crib from the get-go and I don't want to worry you, but sometimes babies just have their own agenda. DD was a really awful sleeper and we did just about anything we could to get 2 hours of sleep at night. The first week or so consisted of DH and I taking shifts staying awake and holding her throughout the night because if we put her down she would scream bloody murder and would not stop, ever. We SWORE we would never cosleep but that ended up being basically the only option for us. We used a cosleeper and did it safely, but yes it was awful.

I just don't want you to get your heart set on doing things a specific way and it not working out, because that's what happened to us and it was really upsetting!

Yep. This is what happened with DS. I thought we'd start him in the crib. But he hated it and I couldn't sleep either. We room shared with the pack and play for a few months, then when I went back to work he refused sleep unless I was touching him or he was on my chest. So he and I coslept on the floor (he was on the pack n play mat) in his room for months. Really, we should have just gotten a cosleeper. By 7 months he was sleeping part time in his crib, part time with me. By now he's in a twin on the floor because he hates his crib and would climb out of it. He sleeps a million times better now, but still wakes at 4am and wants a hug and kiss before going back to sleep.
  • tgortneytgortney member
    edited November 2015
    While we're on the subject of sleeping:

My in laws (SIL included) and parents are telling us not to get a crib because the baby will never sleep in it. They said just buy the pack n play with the bassinet and changing table that comes with it. Then go straight to a toddler ish bed when ready.

My in laws use to foster babies (one time, they had 5 kids under the age of 1 in their house). So I feel like they know what they're talking about.

I suppose we could always get a crib later? I'm so confused on how all this is suppose to work.

Moving on to a different subject:

How do you ladies feel about convertible booster seat vs high chair?

I was told, again by my in laws, to skip the high chair because they're so hard to clean.
  • Just an update on my shopping addiction... I just used my $90 in Kohls cash I got on Friday after buying a travel system. Got a bouncer, a play mat and some sheets! Ill figure out the sleeping thing later, but after speaking with my mom today I do think I am going to try to start with a crib. If we are still in our current location when baby is born, the bedroom is right next door so not a big deal to get there fast. Our bedroom really doesnt have extra space for a pack and play, but I might think about a small bassinet to start with if we can find something on sale.

My new purchases ;)
    Infantino Twist & Fold Safari Fun Gym

***and I got a Sophie from BRU this morning. I have to say, being PG during holiday sales is great!

cat fail animated GIF

• @tgortney:

Personally, I'd get the crib. The PNP is either up high for the bassinet (when they are really young) or down near the ground for when they start moving around a lot, sitting up, etc. My back would not have liked leaning over all the time.

I didn't find our high chair hard to clean at all. We got a compact, foldable high chair. It worked really well for us. A lot of things depend on house, personal preference, etc.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Agree with previous poster about the rock n play being the only place my daughter slept for the first six months AND great for travel. The rock n play is my number one recommendation.

HOWEVER, I just want to say the most stressful part of her first year was the transition from rock n play to crib. Looking back, she did great, but I was so afraid the transition would ruin her good sleeping habits. My fears combined with the natural six month sleep regression (those are a thing) made for a rough few weeks, but nothing we couldn't get through!

Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • I have a lot of friends who have the Rock n Play and I am buying one for this one. I recommend the Fisher Price Snuga Monkey swing. DD loved it and slept in it. Its hard to recommend equipment bc you won't know what LO will take to. If youre like me you'll get everything haha.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I'm looking at getting a car seat that is part of a travel system tonight while target has 15% off. It's for 5-35 lbs baby. Will this last a few years before we need a new one for a bigger kid. It has a little pillow for the newborn. I don't want to have to buy multiple car seats. Thanks! 

• Lusitano8 said:

I'm looking at getting a car seat that is part of a travel system tonight while target has 15% off. It's for 5-35 lbs baby. Will this last a few years before we need a new one for a bigger kid. It has a little pillow for the newborn. I don't want to have to buy multiple car seats. Thanks! 

An infant seat with only last months, even a seat like the chicco keyfit infant seat (with generous weight and height limits) won't last years. Either plan on just getting a convertible seat right from the start and that will stay in the car that will last years or if you go the infant seat/travel system route plan on getting the convertible seat by baby first bday (approx, could be sooner or later) we usually switched around 8months)
  • Just so you ladies know Graco Glider (I've registered for this) is on sale right now on Amazon for $88. Regular price is up to $127.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• mumbolinomumbolino member
    edited December 2015
    I want to be able to have baby safely in bed with me, and those two items (either  one of them) were recommended to me.. 

If anyone has an opinion about that, please elaborate :-) 

Won't get a crib. We got a cot, and baby will either sleep in there or with us in one of the above options. (says my pre-baby imagination. Let's see what reality will be like :-)

• So many people like the RNP for sleeping but I'm terrified of using it because of all the flat head reviews! Here's an example: https://kckidsdoc.com/dear-fisher-price.html

Obviously, these are the more extreme cases, but it still makes me uneasy.
  • great article @js8812 thanks for sharing.
  • mumbolino said:
    I want to be able to have baby safely in bed with me, and those two items (either  one of them) were recommended to me.. 

If anyone has an opinion about that, please elaborate :-) 

Won't get a crib. We got a cot, and baby will either sleep in there or with us in one of the above options. (says my pre-baby imagination. Let's see what reality will be like :-)
    If possible, I'd opt for something with more rigid sides to help mitigate roll-over risks. I had a friend who used this: https://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Secure-Sleeper/dp/B00012CHFI and really liked it.

I'm not sure of the recommendations in other countries, but in the US, positioners in which the baby is strapped on like the second aren't recommended because of entrapment/roll off risks. They're still sold though. Generally, you have a little while before baby is able to roll or change position dramatically, but sometimes it happens out of the blue. Ex: DS rolled over first around 2 months which was way earlier than I expected, and was able to roll to sleep on his side while swaddled pretty much from the beginning (we stopped swaddling because that worried me...)
  • @mumbolino - I am going to get an arm's reach co-sleeper, where the baby is in a crib attached to the side of the bed - https://www.amazon.com/Arms-Reach-Original-Co-Sleeper-Bassinet/dp/B00BFBUYAO/ref=sr_1_6?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1448977626&sr=1-6&keywords=co-sleeper+attach+to+bed

I like that we will be right next to each other and I can even have my arm around her if I want to, but there's a little more space if we need it (and she won't be as close to my pillows or blankets.  I don't mind the ones that are in bed with you but I feel like there's a lot going on in the bed already and that was always what worried me when we were co-sleeping.

We had a bassinet for DS and he never slept in it for more than 2 hours.  Only wanted to sleep with me.  I'm just giving in to co-sleeping this time instead of trying to force a situation that isn't working.

We did have a RNP but to be honest, I wasn't comfortable with my son sleeping in it until he was around 2 months.  I know the angle was really helpful but it made me nervous, like he was going to squish his organs or something.  My doctor didn't recommend the RNP at first either. 

image        image

• Thanks @lest12 and @kbrands7  I will check out your suggestions for sure! 

• This is what we're planning on doing with this LO: With DD we got a pack N play much like this one:

The little bassinet thingy is going in between DH and me with a pillow on either side of it. Saves us money bc we already have this pack n play but for those who don't those sleepers that have been posted are $200+ and this pack n play (or the ones that are like it) are in the range of $100+ and you're getting a 2 for 1.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• We are going to use a pack & play with bassinet too, at least until we move. So convenient & affordable!

Jogging strollers: go for the BOB?
  • @amscape I love our Jeep brand jogging stroller!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Any feedback on Mamaroo's? I know they are pricey but I'm wanting to spare some space by not having to get a swing and a rock and play. Didn't know if anyone had one and liked it and had their LO nap in it? We have a pack and play with the bassinet on top already for our bedroom, but thinking of living room nap options (we have a godforsaken two-story).
  • This is what we're planning on doing with this LO: With DD we got a pack N play much like this one:

The little bassinet thingy is going in between DH and me with a pillow on either side of it. Saves us money bc we already have this pack n play but for those who don't those sleepers that have been posted are $200+ and this pack n play (or the ones that are like it) are in the range of $100+ and you're getting a 2 for 1.

This is exactly what we are planning to do. I got one for a steal ($59) on cyber Monday!
  • Any feedback on Mamaroo's? I know they are pricey but I'm wanting to spare some space by not having to get a swing and a rock and play. Didn't know if anyone had one and liked it and had their LO nap in it? We have a pack and play with the bassinet on top already for our bedroom, but thinking of living room nap options (we have a godforsaken two-story).

@Kennedy0830 we have one, DS liked it but I've had friends who didn't use theirs much. It's so hard to know what your baby will like, but compared to the big swings it's really a space saver and way less clunky (and cuter). I bought ours at Buy Buy Baby and at the time (2014) they had a 30 day return policy so I was able to test it out, but didn't buy it until after DS was born. I would recommend doing that if you can because it is pretty pricey. But I know their hold their value, my friend who didn't use hers much resold it pretty easily.