Trying to Get Pregnant

Anovulatory cycles-- short, long, or regular?

This is a question for those of you who are charting BBT, and who sometimes have an anovulatory cycle.  These happen occasionally for all women, but are more common for those of us who are older.  I'm asking here because I expect there's a good number of you who are pros at charting BBT.

I believe I'm having an anovulatory cycle.  For the first time, my temp is just flat-lined.  I'm at CD 19, and no sign of O.

When this happens for you, does your period come early?  Or is it late?  Or does it come on time?

(I know, technically it's breakthrough bleeding and not a regular period, which is why it's so often irregular.)

I know there's nothing I can do about it unless it becomes very, very late, and I know that my body might not be doing the same thing that your bodies do.  This is just some information I haven't been able to find much about, other than that it varies.  What's your experience?
Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

Re: Anovulatory cycles-- short, long, or regular?

• I have experienced a long period of time in which my cycles were anovulatory. During that time, my charts were all over the place, not flat lined. The temps varied wildly, there was not just NO temp shift, there was no rhyme or reason at all. The cycles varied in days, but were always longer than the 28 days I experience now that the medical condition is under control. 35 days, 43 days, 48 days, 52 days.... You get the picture. This is just my experience with anovulatory cycles.

The reading I've done about anoluvalotory cycles says that they are usually longer, even if by just a little bit, and are rarely the same length as your "typical" cycle. But... That's just what doctor Google said... And while it matches my own experience... I don't know for sure if that's absolutely fact for everyone.

I've read other ladies on here that have said their thermometers were "favoring temps" , I assume this means they were seeing the same temp over and over, and that this meant their thermometers needed to be replaced. Hoping one of them will chime in to see if your experience matches there's.

Hope it's just a thermometer issue, I know how frustrating it can be to anovulatory cycle can be. Good luck!

Married May 2014
    TTC Nov 2014-Aug 2016
    Aug 2015 Dx: Thyroid Cancer and Hashimotos
    Total Thyroidectomy October 2015 
    Ovarian Cystectomy Nov 2015
    CANCER FREE and resumed TTC Dec 2015.

• edited November 2015
    Can you post or link your chart? If it's in your siggy mobile users can't see it.

Also when do you "normally" O, you may just have a really late O date this cycle. I wouldn't consider it annovulatory until you actually begin CD1.

ETA: paging @Kristin712 bc I know she had some recent cycles where she didn't O.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with @mommygrams0730 that you shouldn't borrow trouble looking for an anovulatory cycle until you get AF. If you have normal cycles, I wouldn't worry. As you know, anovulatory cycles happen. Just keep charting and temping and hopefully you'll O soon. If you do end up anovulatory this cycle, at least then there's that much less of a chance it happens again soon.

I have PCOS and my cycle lengths are all over the place, averaging 37 days. I have no idea if/when I O'd before April, but I expect I either didn't O or O'd late on my first cycle off BC (51 days; started temping 3/4 way through). My second cycle I O'd (34 days). My third was anovulatory and AF was induced with Provera (95 days). My third and fourth I saw and RE and began taking ovulation medication.

TTC + medicated cycles
    3/2015: Start TTC
    8/2015: PCOS Dx
    4/2016: BFP, Loss (4+5)
    2/2017: BFP

Honorable mentions: Biggest IF support sister, sweetest bumpie, most genuine, LFAFer you'd most like to visit, great things come in small packages, pocket sized babe
  • Ditto what other's said. Can you screenshot and share your chart? Totally flat lined temps may indicate trouble with your thermometer. Also, CD19 is still plenty early in your cycle, I wouldn't stress too much at this point (even if you normally O earlier than that).

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Kristin712Kristin712 member
    edited November 2015
    Regardless of typical O day, it's far too soon to assume this will be anovulatory. During my recent two consecutive anovulatory cycles, I had MANY days of fertile CM (like two weeks straight during a 32 day cycle). One cycle was 32 and the next was 47. My temps were all over the place and FF even gave me CH a couple times during both cycles just trying to find somewhat of a temp shift. Naturally, the CH always went away.

My last two cycles were anovulatory and can be seen in my siggy.

ETA if you have three consecutive cycles without ovulating (or go beyond 60 days in one cycle), then contact your doctor.
  • CD19 is too early to be worrying about an anovulatory cycle. I would double check the batteries in your thermometer though!
    image image
  • Thanks, y'all!

I haven't plugged my temps into a chart, but I'll type them below.  My cover line is usually around 97.4, and I usually see temps around 96.20-97.20 pre-O, and in the 97.50-98.10 range post-O.

However, it's hard to say what's typical.  I've only observed about 4 cycles that aren't medicated, and 7 cycles that are medicated (doing IUIs with femara, injectibles, trigger, and progesterone).  I have low ovarian reserve, and my blood work was such that my RE wanted to use medication right away.  She's not confident that I can ovulate without help.

Of those 4 unmedicated cycles, three looked classic (and regular) with shifts around CD 14.  One was another flatline, but my period started on day 29.

Once this cycle is over, I'm starting IVF (going on birth control immediately when AF arrives).  I know what the timing of the IVF will be if AF arrives on time.  I'm just trying to get a sense of how off it might be, if something's wonky with this cycle.

My temps:
    CD 1- 97.34
    CD 2- 97.00
    CD 3- 96.85
    CD 4- 96.90
    CD 5- 96.75
    CD 6- 96.68
    CD 7- missed
    CD 8- 96.95
    CD 9- 96.65
    CD 10- 96.35
    CD 11- missed
    CD 12- 96.11 (very early, 5am)
    CD 13- 97.5 (very late, 9am)
    CD 14- 96.56
    CD 15- 96.80
    CD 16- 96.85
    CD 17- 97.00
    CD 18- 97.43 (late, 8am)
    CD 19- 96.69
    CD 20- 96.81

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)