Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Makeup?

I know there was a thread on this a while back but I can't find it...

Anyway, I'm looking for some makeup suggestions, specifically for foundation.  Since going off BC, my acne is back and it's not attractive and also leaving scars.  I have always used Bare Minerals (the original/loose powder) in the past with good success but now it's not really enough coverage.  I am not someone who spends much time on my makeup (think: 5 mins or less) so something that goes on relatively easy is a must.  There's no way I'm going to be contouring 10 different colors on my face.  I also need something that isn't going to make me break out more.  I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations?  Also, does anyone use BB cream?  I am curious about it.

Thanks!

Re: Makeup?

• Options
    I just use Maybelline Fit sticks for my foundation, places like Sephora overwhelm me.  I saw a lot of people recommend MAC pressed foundation (the one in the compact, not the bottle) as a good one though when I was Googling the best foundations.

As far as acne, I used to have it TERRIBLY and still get breakouts every so often.  BB creams tended to not be enough coverage and the dewy-ness of them sort of made my acne look worse, so I don't use those anymore.  This is sort of off-topic, but have you tried Dermalogica Medibac wash?  That has been huge in stopping breakouts for me, it also worked on a friend of mine.  That, and Murad.  Maybe one of those washes will make a difference.
    DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I have always had terrible skin and hate using liquid foundations because they feel oily and icky. I love Smashbox halo powder. It's pressed powder that you put on with a brush. It has great coverage, feels light on my skin and doesn't cause breakouts. Smashbox also has a line of primers, I use one for oily skin that I put on before the halo powder.

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh, I've been dealing with this, too. You don't say how long you've been dealing with the acne flare-up. Have you had a chance to try cleansing/treatment/nutrition methods that might help to clear it up? I've identified chocolate and lactose as triggers for acne for me, but it's different for everyone. I also can't use anything with parabens on my face. It's taken literally years to find a moisturizer that I don't hate and didn't cost a fortune (finally, though, I landed on Bayberry Naturals rose hip and hibiscus!).

One great trick I've picked up along the way is to soak a q-tip or cotton pad in Visine and hold that over a blemish. It really helps to diminish the redness! I've also been known to put a dot of neosporin in my moisturizer when my skin is acting particularly atrocious.

I don't know how long you've been waiting it out, but it may go back to normal when your body adjusts. Mine has finally started to subside. I would honestly recommend trying to go makeup-free for a couple of weeks to give your skin a chance to calm down. I know how awful that can be, so I understand if you don't want to do that. But consider that some makeup can just make your skin worse in the long run.

Creepy internet stranger hugs to you while you're getting this figured out. I think I understand a bit of what you're going through, and it sucks.
  • Options
    A little over a year ago I went into Sephora for a makeover and she sold me on Lancome's Nude Miracle. It's a liquid but it has a very matte finish and good coverage. 

I like Sephora because I'd rather spend more money on foundation I know I'll love -- plus they have a generous return policy if you change your mind. If I were only able to splurge on one type of makeup, it'd be foundation because it's so close to your skin and can really make or break your look. 
  • Options
    I use Clinique Even Better liquid foundation and on top for a touch up I use Sephora brand compact foundation powder. I too have acne prone skin and this has worked for me :) Honestly the best thing I can advise is using the Tea Tree line face wash and products from The Body Shop. That has worked wonders for me. 
  • Options
    I don't have any suggestions but I'm really glad you asked this question because I'm having the same issue!! I typically wear a higher coverage liquid foundation because I have some acne scars from when I was younger and had full blown acne. Now I feel like it's making my face too oily and making the post bc breakouts worse. Looking forward to reading all the suggestions!

Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: August 2014
    TTC #1 Since March 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS March 2016
    SA results normal April 2016
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + TI = BFN
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + IUI = BFN
    Uterine polyp removed July 2017
    Round 1 IVF January 2018

• Options
    I never used a liquid foundation until recently. I am also not the type to spend time on makeup. I've had success with NARS foundation powder and MAC water based foundation. Both are very light and give good coverage.
    TTC #2- November 2015

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies so far.  I will definitely be looking into some of this make up!

*TW loss mentioned*
    @lindseyrva the acne has been going on since about August (after stopping BC in May) but really flared in Sept when I got pregnant.  I unfortunately had an ectopic pregnancy that was treated with methotrexate and it took about a month (after my diagnosis at 6.5 weeks) to get AF and for my body to start to regulate again.  After that, the acne seemed like it was starting to clear, but around my most recent period it got really bad again.  And it isn't consistent - first it was on my forehead, then on my neck and chest, now it's on my cheeks (which I hate because of the scarring) and my back.  I am sure diet has something to do with it and I need to work on trying to figure out if something I'm eating might be triggering it.  

@mom2adoodle and @mrsdee15  - I was previously using the Body Shop Tea Tree line (the face wash and the blemish fading night cream) with the Body Shop seaweed moisturizer during the day.  I also have a clarisonic that I use daily.  That seemed to keep things clear while on BC but hasn't been holding me recently.  I tried switching to the black charcoal soap that I've seen people talk about but haven't noticed any improvement using that.  I will look into the Dermalogica Wash.  
  • Options
    @penelope4612 I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  It sounds like you've gotten a lot of good suggestions.  I hope you'll figure out something that works for you soon!
  • Options
    I am sorry you are going through this. I have experienced this after going off BC and it can really start to affect your mood/self-esteem! I spoke with my OB at my most recent appointment to see what my options were if my skin went bad this time and she said there are some antibiotics that are safe for TTC. She said no more retin-A but I would check with your doctor and your dermatologist to see if they can get you an rx to clear it up. If it's hormonal break out there is really nothing else that fixes it, in my experience.

For makeup I always liked just a light dusting of powder or a tinted moisturizer all over followed by the bare minerals as a concealer for the red spots. Bobbi Brown face stick is also really great for good coverage and natural/matte finish. And they are 20% off right now :)

Good luck! I hope you find a good solution soon.
    Me: 33
    Married in 2014
    TTC for 10 months--No response to Clomid 50, 100, 150
    June 2016--PCOS dx
    July 2016--7.5 mg Letrozole--Ovidrel 7/6--TI--BFP

• Options
    I feel your pain!  My skin has not been the same since quitting hormonal birth control 3 years ago.  My skin has slowly improved but I still get cystic flare-ups right before AF.  I've tried using Cetaphil, CeraVe, and a pretty intense Asian beauty routine with no success in improving my acne. Through quite a bit of trial and error, this is what I've found works for me:

Here are my recommendations for make-up:
    Foundation
    Dr. Jart+ Black Label Detox BB Cream - This is the lightest of my recommendations.  I really like it because it goes on like butter!  It gives your skin a beautiful glow (I find my skin can look a little dull at times) but it has the lightest coverage. Sometimes I will put it under a heavier concealer to up the glow factor on my skin.

NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer - This has more coverage than a BB cream but not full coverage.  I found it to be pretty light but with good coverage.

tarte Amazon Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation - This is a great full-coverage foundation that is buildable.  I've read that it is for oily skin but even though I tend to be on the dry side I don't have any issues with it.  If you have extra-dry skin, tarte makes a moisturizing version of this, though I haven't tired it personally.  

Concealers
    NARS Radiant Concealer - This is my go to concealer.  It goes on smooth, lasts forever, and provides pretty good coverage. For a cheaper dupe of this concealer you can use Maybelline Fit Me concealer but I feel like the NARS concealer lasts longer. 

tarte Amazon Clay 12-Hour Concealer -  This is a solid rather than a liquid concealer.  It has good coverage but I just don't like it as much as my NARS concealer; I think the NARS concealer goes on more smoothly.

Hard Candy Glamoflauge Heavy Duty Concealer - This is the most wallet friendly concealer and it packs a punch!  It can cover pretty much anything.  The only drawback is that I found it looks a little cake-y at times.

I've had some success with these skin care products;

REN Glycolic Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask - I have fairly sensitive skin and while this can twinge when you put it on it doesn't burn or make my face red.  After the fact, my skin glows and my blemishes are noticeably smaller and less red. 

Air Repair Complexion Boosting Moisturizer - Using this daily has been really helpful in reducing my break outs.  

Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream - If you need serious hydration this cream is the bomb.  It makes my skin feel super hydrated and smooth.

Caudalie Vinoperfect Cell Renewal Night Cream - So thick and luxurious!  I use this at night and it definitely helps with redness.

Murad Post-Acne Lightening Gel - This has been pretty good at reducing post-acne redness/spots.  It is pricey but lasts a while.  It doesn't work overnight but I did see results.  A less expensive but equally effective treatment is Mederma scar-lightening gel.  No matter what products you use to reduce post-acne spots, definitely use a sunscreen with at least 35 SPF every day to prevent permanent scaring.  Also, many acne products make you photosensitive so it's not a bad idea to use a decent sunscreen in general.

Your results may very, but I hope you find some of these recommendations helpful.
  • Options

I hope it's not too late to chime in, since you got so many great suggestions already. Acne has been an ongoing problem for me, so I definitely understand that struggle. From personal experience, methotrexate itself compounds the problem, regardless if it is used short or long term. When I stopped taking it in preparation for TTGP, my face took a couple of months to stop producing exciting new breakouts daily, and then a couple of months to clear up the mess. 

Anyway, I am also a make up minimalist, with a healthy fear of liquid foundation, but Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet is magical. It can be built up for extra coverage in problem areas without looking caked on or runny. I ditched about 4 abandoned tubes of concealer when I realized this. Also, it will not budge. Face spewing oil? Pouring sweat in the middle of summer? It doesn't care. It stays right where you put it. And a tiny bit really does go a long way.

As for skincare routine, I recommend La Roche Posay products. Their lines are designed to be incredibly gentle, so you never end up with angry flairs after cleansing. I use Effaclar foaming cleanser, Effaclar Mat moisturizer, and the AHA serum nightly to control breakouts. I think the biggest bit of improvement I saw in my skin was after eliminating paraben-based creams. It's not perfect, but it's much better.

TTGP August Siggy Challenge: Best Movie Insults
    AbominationStupid head

Lilo and Stitch (2002)     
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I will definitely be checking out Sephora.  I saw my PCP this AM and she suggested I try clindamycin lotion in combination with a benzoyl peroxide facewash (after I told her I hate using benzoyl peroxide cream because it's drying).  I guess I will give that shot.
  • Options
    I use MAC StudioFix; it is a powder and foundation in one, but comes in powder form in a compact. Liquid foundations make me break out. It is full-coverage and covers EVERYTHING, with bad breakouts I may have to also use a little dab of concealer here or there but that's it. I think you would like it!
    Me: 32
    DH: 40
    Married: 2 years

• Options
    I use Clinique superpowder double face makeup. It doubles as a foundation and powder and it does not cause me to breakout (I have acne prone skin)! The one thing I have to do is if I have a dry patch I have to put a little extra moisturizer on first. And it covers my scars.
  • Options
    I've been using Vichy concealer for a while and I like it. I prefer the liquid over the stick because I find the stick a bit heavy but I mostly use it under my eyes so I don't need perfect coverage. I find the big trick is using a loose powder over any concealer so it doesn't rub off. I am not one to powder my most throughout the day so whatever I do in the morning has to last!!
  • Options
    I don't wear makeup, but my dermatologist prescribed me Finacea acne cream that is safe to use during pregnancy, so you could ask your doctor about that. It works really well for me.
  • Options
    @MrsE2015 The Clinique Superpowder Double Face Makeup is my go-to for post-gym and traveling!  I usually do BB Cream and concealer (my makeup routine is a very relaxing half hour of my morning), but it's surprisingly lightweight and natural looking for the coverage it gives!  
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Have you ever tried Mary Kay? One thing I definitely recommend is using a GOOD moisturizer. Before, I thought it was backwards to use a moisturizer when your skin is oily (which produces more acne) but since using MK moisturizer (which has specialized formulas for normal-dry and combination-oily) it has helped my acne. Because if you don't hydrate your skin it actually produces more oil throughout the day. Mary Kay also has great foundations! I love the mineral foundation because it covers very well and doesn't feel cakey like liquids feel to me. Sometimes I use their CC cream (color corrector) for lighter coverage and sunscreen. You should check it out.

marykay.com/rduncan928

Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker