October 2015 Moms
Options

Labour and delivery story

Hi, i thought this thread will be a good idea for everyone to share their thoughts and experiences of labour and any tips to help others

Il start of with my labour story,
I was due in mid november but baby had something differnt planned, we was decorating the room.the weekened before we had 3weeks before baby was meant to make an entry i woke up with period pains!?! Like wat, waited about 2hrs to tell partner i was still early so didnt think much of it, by mid day they was constant and every 5mins so rang midwife and went into hospital, checked me through i was 1cm dilated, btw the checking was horrible, so they sent me home by eveningg i was their again they told me im 2cm dilated sent me home again, i was in agony at this stage, the contractions were regular and getting stronger i cudnt take the pain well i thought i couldnt, by midnight im back at hospital waiting to be checked and my waters break in the waiting room, i felt the need to push but the midwife wasnt here yet so i tried not too, partner called.her she took about 10mins to come wen she came she took a.look down their and rushed out i was horrified wat was going on she didnt say anything jus rushed out, she then came back with a wheelchair and said sit down ur fully dilated and we need to get u to the delivery suite as this baby cud be cuming any min now, i was soo mortified i was asking for every pain relief available but i was too late they took me to the suite, and next thing i know i was pushing babys heart rate dropped so i had to have an episiotomy to help her, she was out straight away after, i gavr birth with just gas and air and i was pushing for about 30mins in total my labour was 19hrs i had stitches which are healing now i gave birth at the.end of october she was 3weeks early but healthy
I had a baby girl and it was so worth it,
You tend to forget the pain wen u see your lil human.

I hope this sheds abit of light of how it is but every labour is different,
I would love to hear your stories and any tips that helped you

Sorry if ive posted twice i canr find the first thread.

Re: Labour and delivery story

• Options
    Heres my story,
    Having gestational diabetes i was due to be induced a week early on the 15th of october. In the 5th, went to work but didnt feel well all day. Fonally got home and went to bed around 7. Woke up at 8pm feeling a little wet. I thought maybe my bladder let go a little when i rolled over. It was almost nothing. Got up, changed my panty liner, went back to bed.
    This kept happening for about an hour. SO comes in to check on me ao i tell him , i think my water broke but i dont know maybe im just peeing. So i call my midwife and while waiting for her to call back i literallt had to change my pants 3 times. But still i wasnt sure.
    We do to L&D, Dr comes in and checks and it was in fact my water. I was 3 cm dialated but no contractions. So they stsrt pitocin. Around 3am we finally get into a room (all the babies wanted to come on oct 5th!)
    Around 6am contractions are getting pretty intense. Around 9am theyre bad, so i attempt nitous oxide for pain relief. It definately didnt work. I have a high pain tolerance so by the time i breathed in to use it it was too late and did no good. Plus the mask made me claustrophobic. So i beg for an epidural. Anesthesia comes in, and im feeling pretty good. It gets to be time to push, and i push for about an hour but no progress. Epidural was working too well i wasnt pushing effectively because i kept missing the contractions. (Or so they thought). We take a break and i back off the epidural.
    Time to push again. And push, and push...for 6 hours!!! Finally i quit. It wasnt so much the oain making me quit, but the wxhaution. I couldnt even hold my legs up anymore and i was pretty sure i popped a hernia. SO was disappointed because he was going to deliver LO. But i was done, i begged for a csection and the nurses had the nerve to say "we think you can do this vaginally with a few more hiurs of pushing " i knew it wasnt working though.
    Into the csection-they get me open and the dr says to me "she was definately not going to come out that way" turned out her head was turned to the side and she was wedged in my pelvis.
    They get me closed up and that was that-we had our Baby Girl.
    ...then follows baby girls difficult hospital stay. But thats another post...

After all the pain and exhaustion i would definately still do it again. My mind remembers the oain, but my body has forgotten.
  • Options
    Don't mind my novel, I'm super happy someone started this thread!

On (Canadian) thanksgiving my husband and I were over at the in-laws place to have dinner (my favorite meal of the year). While sitting on the couch watching sports with my hubby, his dad and his brother, my water broke at 5:30pm (just a little bit). After many 5km walks, bouncing on the exercise ball etc, of course it would break while just hanging out on the couch. Mine and my husbands original plan was to not tell any family when I went into labor and to just tell them when the baby was born... Mortified sitting wet on the couch (thankfully leather), not telling anyone including my husband, I waddled to the bathroom with my thighs squeezed shut so hopefully no more water would come out, and sat on the toilet where the rest of my waters broke. My plan from here was to try to sit through dinner without anyone knowing (including my husband again because he oils flip and want to go to the hospital and everyone would know).. So I wadded up some toilet paper and stuck it in my underwear because using one of their hand towels would have been rude although it was considered!! Walked back out to the couch, husband asked why I took so long in the bathroom, is everyththing okay and such and I said things are okay and I'm stoked for dinner, only to have my contractions start shortly after at 4 minutes apart and strong! MIL states dinner is ready soon, and then my contractions come 2 minutes apart and strong. That's when I told my husband we should leave and he asked why and I told him (as dinner was being put on the table) that my water broke 30 minutes ago and my contractions were 2 minutes apart.. Hubby told the family that we had to leave because baby was coming and they packed up our food to go, ran home and grabbed our hospital stuff, water broke more on our car's fabric seats.. I had no idea there was that much water?! Made it to the hospital where the OB did another check and MORE water comes out?! Ok. They admitted me (contractions still 2min apart) at 2.5cm dilated where they started me on laughing gas to help me through contractions. It was glorious until it started giving me a splitting headache so they have me a morphine shot in the hip which did absolutely nothing. The nurse suggested hopping in the shower and having my hubby hold the hot shower head against my back to help with contractions. I was yelling in so much pain that I thought sure why not..anything that might help throw it at me! Forgot to mention I'm a nurse at the hospital so I really wanted to keep my labor somewhat modest as I know these ladies.. Stripped down and hopped into the shower and straddled that little plastic chair while my husband had the hot water on my back which felt so nice! I thought I was for sure coming close. Pain was getting worse and I was freaking out wanting the epidural NOW! Nurse said ok, let's check dilation and then call the OB.. Walked back to bed to have cervix checked.. 3cm!! I only dilated another .5cm. My sister delivered a week before and had her epidural with the anesthetist at 3cm but this OB won't put one in until 4cm.. Yelled at the OB (whom I also work with) for not putting it in yet, he left to another delivery down the hall while I yelled at the nurses (at this point I'm back in the shower naked on my knees leaning over a labor ball while rocking my hips back and forth, a pretty sight) crying my eyes out that I want the epidural now. They told me the OB was coming right away. 15 min later still no OB in the room, nurses said "he's coming right away".. Freaked out on the nurses again because they told me that 15 min ago. 10 minutes later at 11:30pm he's in there and I'm 4cm, got the epidural.. AMAZING! Then I relaxed in bed and ate come Popsicles and had some Gatorade while watching my husband eat our entire thanksgiving dinner, which at this point I didn't even care for. At 4am I was at 10cm and they asked if I wanted to push, i said nope. My husband was sleeping and I wanted to sleep too. They told me if I felt a lot of pressure to let them know. I didn't realize I had a nurse sitting beside me the whole time and that it was mandatory, but it was cool because I had someone to chat with while my husband slept. 6am they asked if I wanted to push, I wanted to keep napping. At 7am the OB from my night was off shift and at 7:50am the new OB who I love came on shift and made me start pushing. My contractions became weaker so they put me on oxytocin to strengthen them and at 10:30am I got to pull my beautiful baby girl out myself and bring her up to my chest (where she pooped all over me lol)! I had 2 labial tears which I could completely feel rip when pushing but it was an amazing delivery experience :smile:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So I went to my 40 week appointment at my doctors office which was actually the day before I hit 40 weeks. While getting a cervical check to see if things have progressed my water broke all over my doctor. So my hubby looked at me like this is happening now lol, so a wheelchair ride later I was admitted to LD at 2pm. It was nice to have a free shot of being admitted because I always worried that I would be sent home for not being progressed enough. So hubby went home to get the bags, I was only 1cm when I was admitted, my contractions started after my water broke starting out about every 4 mins. Then after about three hours they were every two to three mins apart. I had all back labor and by 9pm I asked for the epidural because it was getting intense. When I got the epidural I was 3 cm, well epi only worked on half of the body so nurses had me try to lay on my left side so the epidural would diffuse down. Finally all of me was numb. Well didn't progress really and after 29 hours in labor I only was 8 cm and baby was only at station -1 and wasn't budging so doctor called for a c section. At this point my epi wasn't working and I could still feel contraction. When I got into surgery they gave me the c section medicine that is stronger than an epi and I told the doctor I could still feel them, well they did the cold test which I could feel so he gave the clear to start the surgery, well as they started to cut I could feel everything on my right side, could feel the scalpel cutting the retractors going in, told them I could feel it he pushed three more things of pain meds and nothing work at this point I'm crying trying to breath through the pain like a contraction, needless to say that didn't work. Finally the baby was out so they knocked me out with strong pain killer. Last thing I remember was the pain and then nothing, I woke up groggy being wheeled to the recovery room, where I finally got to meet my baby boy even though I was still pretty sleepy. Hubby was a hot mess cause he went to go look at our boy and when he came back to see how I was doing I was out cold. Well at least I know now that the epidurals don't work on me for my next baby. But he was worth all the pain.