High-Risk Pregnancy

Vasovagal Syncope?

lolalovesdclolalovesdc member
edited November 2015 in High-Risk Pregnancy
I am 9 weeks, and was diagnosed with vasovagal syncope a few years ago. I've had it for all our most of my life, but it was misdiagnosed as hypoglycemia for decades. I've already had an episode (almost fainted in TJ Maxx!), and am wondering if anyone had expertise or experience in dealing with this later in pregnancy. How did it affect your labor?

Re: Vasovagal Syncope?

• PaniaOPaniaO member
    edited November 2015
    I've had two episodes related to anxiety since being pregnant--when I had to deal with scary situations (finding out I needed surgery and, later, during pre-term labor counseling. I have a very vivid and active imagination and was traumatized by very early PTL prior to the session so I got overwhelmed when hearibg the nurse talk about signs and symptoms to watch out for). Laying down with a cold washcloth on my forehead always helps. If I don't, it doesn't get better. Having healthy snacks around probably helps, too. I had to go without food the day of my surgery, so I couldn't reach for sugar in that instance. I just had to lay down.

ETA: I haven't had my baby yet, so TBD... And I'm not an expert, BTW. I think that's clear, but I noticed you specified looking for expertise.
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • Thank you. .. when I was diagnosed, the doctor told me that when I had an episode, to eat some salt, drink water, lay down with my feet elevated and clench my hand together and pull apart (that part is hard to describe), all to raise my blood pressure back up. Those things work, and my recovery time, since using those strategies, had give from more than an hour to about 15-20 minutes.

I'm more worried about in extreme cases, like labor. When I was diagnosed, they had me do a tilt-table test, and I passed out and my heart stopped during the test. That's the kind of thing I'm scared about in labor. I would love to have a natural childbirth, or at least a vaginal childbirth, but the fear of my heart stopping makes me wonder if it's even possible or smart to plan that way.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you. .. when I was diagnosed, the doctor told me that when I had an episode, to eat some salt, drink water, lay down with my feet elevated and clench my hand together and pull apart (that part is hard to describe), all to raise my blood pressure back up. Those things work, and my recovery time, since using those strategies, had give from more than an hour to about 15-20 minutes.

I'm more worried about in extreme cases, like labor. When I was diagnosed, they had me do a tilt-table test, and I passed out and my heart stopped during the test. That's the kind of thing I'm scared about in labor. I would love to have a natural childbirth, or at least a vaginal childbirth, but the fear of my heart stopping makes me wonder if it's even possible or smart to plan that way.

Yikes! Best of luck to you!
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • I was diagnosed with this years ago and luckily it has been manageable for me. It sounds to me that your case is much more severe. Have you consulted your cardiologist about being pregnant? Maybe there is something he can prescribe or monitor to keep your blood pressures normal. It's understandable to be concerned.