3rd Trimester
Options

Does this mean baby has dropped?

Hi Ladies,
I'm 33+2 and I'm feeling little flicks and pressure down low, so low it actually feels like it's in my vagina!
It's a similar and uncomfortable feeling like when you get a papsmear... It catches me off guard when it happens and I get a sudden urge to pee even if I've just been to the bathroom and almost like the pee is just going to come out, like I lose control. Anyone experienced the same and know what it is?
Thanks x

Re: Does this mean baby has dropped?

• Options
    I'm not entirely sure if that means that the baby has dropped but I have experienced the same thing and my doctor said it's something called "lightning crotch". (Yes, that is the actual medical term she used)
  • Options
    Did a quick Google Search....

Although causes can vary and there isn’t definitive medical evidence as to what the cause is, here are some of the most common reasons believed to cause lightning crotch:
    Cervical dilation. Unfortunately, although this is a common reason that many women subscribe to, there is little or no evidence to back this one up.
    Baby stretching. Sometimes, especially when active, baby can stretch in a way that puts extra pressure on your body and causes a sharp pain.
    Baby changing positions. If your baby is turning into or coming out of a breech, transverse or posterior position, it’s not unusual to have a sharp pain as they turn.
    Round Ligament Pain. The round ligament is one of several thick ligaments that surround and support your uterus during pregnancy. During pregnancy it’s under more pressure from your expanding uterus, so can cause pain when it stretches too fast or too far. Round ligament is also a reason that sneezing during pregnancy can hurt.
    Magnesium Deficiency. The majority of pregnant women are low in magnesium. This can lead to cramps, sciatica, muscle pain, severe morning sickness and even preeclampsia. It’s definitely a good idea to add high potency natural magnesium to your daily supplements.

**you cannot believe everything that is posted on the Internet. Don't believe everything you read and don't believe everything you hear. I just thought this might be some helpful information to give you a better idea of what MIGHT POSSIBLY be going on**

I am not a doctor, I cannot tell you anything for certain.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, this definitely sounds like "lightening crotch". I've been having it too lately and it's only when she's moving, so I'm pretty sure it's her head (or whatever body part) smacking into my cervix. Often it's my cervix and bladder simultaneously, so it's like being shocked in the crotch while also having your bladder stomped on.
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses ladies! It is the strangest sensation haha!

I have an appointment with my midwife next week so will run it past her. I'll post what she says incase anyone is wondering ☺️
  • Options
    Glad we could be of some help. Good luck at your appointment! :)
  • Options
    Yup. Lightening crotch. My OB said she has no idea why this happens but she sees it in almost every pregnancy she has dealt with, including her own. So I'm not concerned. I'm 35weeks and it happens a couple times a day.
  • Options
    Sounds like the wonderful lightening crotch. Baby doesn't have to be dropped to get it. As far as knowing when the baby has dropped, with my first I knew the second it happened. She was so high I had trouble breathing for a long time. It was miserable. Then one day I was out and about all of the sudden I felt the weird shift in my belly and I took a full deep breath which I hadn't been about to do in several weeks. It was extremely obvious just looking at me too. Also the next day I had stretch marks lol
  • Options
    Ugh. The dreaded Lightening Crotch. Lol! The ice pack has been my friend since week 30 of my pregnancy, all because of that, and I'm 36+4 today. The pressure is just horrible some days! But that's all a part of being pregnant. :smile:
  • Options
    Oh is THAT what lightening crotch is? Cripes, I thought it was that horrible cramp in your crotch that knocks you off your feet. I used to get that during my periods. And once in a blue moon i get it now.

Yeah i know exactly what you're getting, op. I always just assumed it was The Stomp dancing on my bladder. I've been having that for several months now.

I thought my dd hadn't dropped yet because my bump looks high. I also had heard stories from other women who said they felt their kids drop and I hadn't felt anything like that so I assumed it hadn't happened yet. But when I went to the doctor today, she did a brief pelvic exam to feel for my baby's head and confirmed that, yes, baby has dropped at some point in the recent past :)

So ask your doctor to check on that for you.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! You're all so helpful! So glad I'm not the only one experiencing this ☺️