Babies on the Brain

What helps keep your mind off symptom spotting

we are on our 3rd month of trying for our second child and this time around is much harder than last time.
With our first, we were very blessed to get pregnant the first month. She is now 2 years old and we had Mirena out 3 months ago and have gotten BFNs every time:( i have been feeling tired and nauseous this month during my TWW and I am trying so hard not to symptom spot. It is almost an obsession to me!
I just was wondering if any ladies have advice on what you do to help you keep your mind off of it.

DH wants me to be relaxed so we can enjoy the process of making a baby and I want to! It's just hard not to obsess!

Re: What helps keep your mind off symptom spotting

• I try to think of logical reasons why the symptom is occurring. For example: nausea -- lactose intolerance, overeating, food poisoning...

Also, reminding myself that PG symptoms and PMS/imminent AF symptoms are nearly identical, and that "you're regular til you're not."
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• For me, I just haven't found a great way not to symptoms spot. I just try to remember from month to month what symptoms I get to add to my list of "not pregnant" symptoms. So, right now on that list, I have had cramps, spotting, nausea, heartburn, fatigue, frequent urination... I think the list is pretty exhaustive, but it just is helpful to remind myself that all of those symptoms have occurred when I haven't been pregnant! I do try to find ways to occupy my time or create goals to meet. And I have a 7 1/2 month old at home, so she keeps my mind off of things. Good luck and hope you get that BFP soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi there, Dirty Lurker here! I'm mostly over on the TTGP board but came here looking for this exact thread! This is our 3rd cycle TTC and this TWW has been the worst for me. Right when I start to become occupied with something else, I get a twinge in my abdomen that brings me right back to the wonderful world of Symptom Spotting. It's so annoying! I usually try to distract myself with a book but right now I'm reading TCOYF so that won't help me! Maybe I'll start binge watching a show to distract me!

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• When I first started TTC I Was crazy about SS but soon realized that it was just setting me up for a big let down when AF comes. Most of the women I know that have been successful said they just had a gut feeling they were KU but didn't really have any other symptoms til about 6 weeks. So I try to remind myself that it's way to early to have actual pregnancy symptoms, especially since they are very similar to PMS. I found it most helpful to NOT Google any of your symptoms because the Internet is very convincing!
    Expecting baby #1 August 2016 
    Already have three furbabies- Blake, Sydney, and Chester 

• MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited November 2015
    kcolly32 said:
    When I first started TTC I Was crazy about SS but soon realized that it was just setting me up for a big let down when AF comes. Most of the women I know that have been successful said they just had a gut feeling they were KU but didn't really have any other symptoms til about 6 weeks. So I try to remind myself that it's way to early to have actual pregnancy symptoms, especially since they are very similar to PMS. I found it most helpful to NOT Google any of your symptoms because the Internet is very convincing!
    THIS. Googling pregnancy symptoms is on par with going to webMD. Every symptom on webMD means you're dying just as every pregnancy symptom you google will convince you you're KU! 

Edited: grammar is fun.

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• KASG said:

I try to think of logical reasons why the symptom is occurring. For example: nausea -- lactose intolerance, overeating, food poisoning...

Also, reminding myself that PG symptoms and PMS/imminent AF symptoms are nearly identical, and that "you're regular til you're not."
    This! I'm kind of letting myself symptom spot. But then I come up with an alternative reason. Like right now is a horrible time for my sinuses and the main time of year I get horribly sick. So anything I might be feeling is easily explained by that.
  • kcolly32 said:

When I first started TTC I Was crazy about SS but soon realized that it was just setting me up for a big let down when AF comes. Most of the women I know that have been successful said they just had a gut feeling they were KU but didn't really have any other symptoms til about 6 weeks. So I try to remind myself that it's way to early to have actual pregnancy symptoms, especially since they are very similar to PMS. I found it most helpful to NOT Google any of your symptoms because the Internet is very convincing!

Both my SIL and I had similar symptoms early in our first pregnancies: basically, we felt like we could just expect AF because everything felt decidedly unpregnant. I did have some cramping that I associated with my oncoming period, but otherwise it was just business as usual. In my case, I tested a little after I realized that AF was taking a really long time to come. In her case, she had just been ready to call her OB for a refill of her Clomid, so had to test beforehand. So, yes, while some women do get symptoms right away I think most women only experience them later on. But it still is really hard not to symptom spot!
  • I had a bunch of "symptoms" my first few months TTC, which I now just chalk up to coming off BC and having crazy hormonal changes because of that. It's also the first time in like 17 years that I haven't been on hormonal BC, so I'm pretty sure my body is just having a field day! Now, a few months in, I have just come to realize that I can truly feel any symptom at any time, so I refuse to take any of them seriously until I see that BFP! I think it's totally natural to symptom spot at first, but it does get a little tiresome and adds to the let down if you focus on it too much month after month. Good luck! 
  • B/c symptom spotting is completely unproductive, useless, and doesn't mean shit, I just don't do it. I don't mean to oversimplify but I won't think or believe I'm pregnant until a test says so. Why spend any time thinking about or imagining things that are actually meaningless? It seems like an exercise in futility. Why bother?

• AGM0616 said:
    For me, I just haven't found a great way not to symptoms spot. I just try to remember from month to month what symptoms I get to add to my list of "not pregnant" symptoms. So, right now on that list, I have had cramps, spotting, nausea, heartburn, fatigue, frequent urination... I think the list is pretty exhaustive, but it just is helpful to remind myself that all of those symptoms have occurred when I haven't been pregnant! I do try to find ways to occupy my time or create goals to meet. And I have a 7 1/2 month old at home, so she keeps my mind off of things. Good luck and hope you get that BFP soon!

This is exactly what I had to start doing as of end of last cycle. We have been trying to get pregnant for one a year (mostly passive with it becoming more aggressive only recently) so I was really driving myself insane. Last one I wrote down each day what I was experiencing so I would stop falling into the same trap of thinking unexplained cramps, weakness, etc, were symptoms.