October 2015 Moms

Do you bottle feed or does daddy?

We recently started baby on bottle and I may have a dumb question.

But is bottle feeding only for anyone who isn't mommy? I mean am I still only suppose to breast feed while daddy is away?

I thought I read somewhere that I'm not even suppose to be in the room when baby feeds from a bottle because he could get confused as to why he can't just eat from the breast when I'm there.

It would be nice to just pop out a bottle I'd we are in the store or out to dinner instead of heading out to the car for 30 min when we are our and about.

So, long story short. Is it Ok for me to give him a bottle every so often or am I strictly suppose to breast feed?

Re: Do you bottle feed or does daddy?

• When I first introduced LO to the bottle, daddy gave it to him. Within a week, I was giving him the bottle too and we haven't had any issues. He takes the bottle from both of us and never has struggled with going back to the boob. Do what works best for you!
  • I do both bottle and breast. Sometimes in the same feeding. I don't produce much milk so I nurse him and then give him a bottle if he's still hungry. My baby hasn't had any problems switching back and forth.
  • Loading the player...
  • I do both often on the same feeding. My LO has no issues with taking the bottle or going on the breast for me.
  • True nipple confusion is much rarer than we're scared into believing. If you need a break, mama, take it. There is absolutely no rule that says you can't use a bottle. My son used a pacifier while I was still trying to breastfeed and never had an issue. Even now after exclusively formula feeding if I offer him the breast he'll latch without complaint.
  • DH gave the first few but now either one of us will. It's said for someone else to do it so they will take it and not smell your boob, but once they are used to it you shouldn't have a problem. We only do a bottle every once in a while because I hate pumping. I do like to take one when we are out rather than breastfeeding in public though.
  • Daddy does. I try not to because if for some reason I do he looks at me like I'm crazy and just chews on the bottle nipple
  • aprosch said:

DH gave the first few but now either one of us will. It's said for someone else to do it so they will take it and not smell your boob, but once they are used to it you shouldn't have a problem. We only do a bottle every once in a while because I hate pumping. I do like to take one when we are out rather than breastfeeding in public though.

This. Sometimes when you first offer the bottle baby may have trouble taking it if you are offering it since he/she can sense you and your breast. My DD had this problem. You can always try it and see if your lo will take it from you or not. If not, maybe see if LO will take from someone else at first. Once they are used to it, you should be good to go.