January 2016 Moms

Question for STMs - Nausea During Labor

I know not everyone gets nauseous during labor, but for those that did, is there anything that you were able to do (other than medication - which I will do if I need to), to get some relief? This is my biggest fear about labor, way more than the pain.

Re: Question for STMs - Nausea During Labor

• Can't say I was really nauseous during my labor, but I did end up throwing up twice during pushing and once after. In the grand scheme of things it was no big deal. My husband just held a bucket type thing for me and then helped clean me up a bit. I hadn't ate in over 24 hours so it was simply fluid. Not sure if that helps, but it wouldn't be something I would be concerned about. The nurses have seen and dealt with everything. Just tell them how you are feeling and they will do their best to help you!
  • I threw up, never had any indications of nausea though. Not sure if that helps :)
  • Loading the player...
  • jeanbug12jeanbug12 member
    edited November 2015
    When I was in labor with my son I got really nauseous, I told the nurse I thought I might throw up and her response was "Oh good!" I guess vomiting is common in the late stages of labor so it meant he was almost ready to make his arrival. Honestly, at that point while it was no fun throwing up, it was the least of my troubles!
  • Many women will vomit during transition (7-10cm), it's just your bodies way of prepping you to push! If you haven't been eating it'll just be fluid. 
  • Most women will vomit during transition. But to be honest, it's not a bit deal - you puke and feel better. You've got so much else happening with your body that a bit of nausea is fairly easy to cope with. 

• Your body does weird things during transition- my first I vomited, my second I got the shakes.
  • Nausea and vomiting are common in labor. Ice chips are usually an option. A trick my mom always did for me and my siblings was putting a cold wash cloth on the back of the neck. I do that one for patients. Other than that, I would assume it's meds.
  • Thank you all!
  • I vomited during transition. They let me eat jello right before so at least it wasn't bile. 

• I planned a pain med free birth and really wanted to stick with it. I'm a huge baby when it comes to nausea so I accepted the anti nausea med when the nurse offered. I was extremely nauseous and don't think I'd have been able to handle both the nausea and pain at the same time. I wasn't able to concentrate on my pain relief techniques because of the nausea.

The cool wash cloth on your forehead and back of the neck always helps me when I'm sick and not in labor though.
  • FTM, but I get anxiety when it comes to nausea and vomiting. There's a phobia called emetophobia and I legit have that. However, I've had so much food poisoning this pregnancy that I'm starting to get use to the idea of throwing up. I've only attended one birth but she did throw up a few times, but she said
    Once her stomach was empty she felt better. I agree with what everyone says about transition. That's when I've heard it happens most. And pushing