December 2015 Moms
Options

Christmas traditions

Now that thanksgiving is over, let's share some of our Christmas traditions with our families. Whether your a FTM or TTM, what are you planning on doing during the holidays?

Re: Christmas traditions

• Options
    I just bought my Christmas tree today (a real one because I love the smell of pine) and we'll be playing Christmas music later and decorating it. My LOs are so excited. And depending on when baby comes since I'm due 12/15, we may be going to my SOs family's house to celebrate Christmas Eve and then come back up Christmas Day to celebrate with my family.
  • Options
    We host SOs family on Christmas Eve- but not this year. I'm due on the 20th, so who knows. Im not really sure what they're doing. My family is coming over on Christmas day and my mom will be cooking here. I'm super excited because I've found the same nativity set my mom had when we were kids on eBay- so I'm hopeful I get it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband and I get a chocolate advent calendar every year, so we will probably continue that tradition with our LO. My Dad always got us new PJs to open Christmas eve, so I will probably do that as well. And lots of baking, cookie for Santa. I really like the Christmas eve box idea (with a treat, Christmas movie and PJs) but I also want our traditions to come naturally so we will have to see!
  • Options
    My mom has a huge Xmas eve party at her house every year. She has Santa come and deliver small gifts to all of the kids so I am excited for that! I want to start a tradition of giving new pajamas on Christmas eve. I think that's adorable! Since I'm having a little girl I'm hoping she'll want to bake cookies for Santa as well. :)
  • Options
    We put our decorations up the weekend after Thanksgiving and give our son a gift to enjoy up until Christmas as well as those from previous years. We've given him books with Christmas stories, Christmas themed PJs, etc. Then, we spend time on Christmas Eve with the in-laws and Christmas Day at home. Sometimes we have Christmas Day visitors, but we stay home. We exchange gifts among each other on Christmas Eve morning and only Santa presents on Christmas morning. That's how my husband's family always did it and I thought it was fun!
  • Options
    We buy an ornament every year off Snapfish, with our Christmas card photo printed in it. It's our 9th year doing it. It's fun to see how our family has grown and changed. We joke that our kids will be making fun of our hair and clothes in no time ;)
  • Options
    We have a bunch of Christmas traditions that have accumulated over our years together. We try to spend time with both sides of the family every year, but we rotate where we spend Christmas Day...our first year was with my in-laws, second year was with my parents, third year was just us hanging out at home, and so on. We take our kids to see the Santa Claus Parade in our city every year with some of DH's friends, and usually end up having dinner with them afterwards. We have a Christmas Cookie Baking Day (for Santa and for teacher presents) with my sister(s) & niece every year since they started school. We usually decorate gingerbread houses at some point.

Our newest tradition (and already one of my favourites) is to wrap up 24 books in Christmas paper, and let the kids pick one to un-wrap for a bedtime story every night in December. It's kinda like an advent calendar, but without the hyper-ness from chocolate. Eventually, I'll have enough Christmas books to do the whole thing, but for now we have a mix of old and new, Christmas-y and non Christmas-y. The kids loved it last year, and I can't wait to start again this year! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited November 2015
    So my dad is jewish and my mom is not. So we had some different observances. Hanukkah would always be spent with our grandmother - every evening. Sometimes we'd go to the temple with her and sometimes not but we would always spend evenings with her, open gifts with her and hear the same stories year after year and play dreidel. It seemed corny to me as I got older but after she died, when i was 21, it all just stopped. My parents are secular and we only kept the most superficial parts of the holiday. And i'm at the point now where i'd like to start those traditions up again with my daughter. My husband and I aren't religious people. Spiritual in some ways but not religious. So I'm not sure how we'll go about this.

We never really had much in the way of Christmas traditions i guess. On Christmas day we got to eat candy for breakfast. We also got to open one gift on christmas eve. We never went carrolling or anything like that. I'd kind of like to do that with our daughter. I suppose there was one tradition we observed quite consistently and (don't laugh at me being all stereotype) it was that we ate Chinese food on Christmas. Lots of Jewish people do this so we usually did it too, just to see friends, you know.

On boxing day, or sometimes on Christmas eve, we'd have a huge turkey dinner. And that is definitley something that i will continue

I actually began a special tradition of my own when i was in university. I was studying in Europe and spent the whole holiday alone and literally, both holidays consisted of getting money transfers from my folks. So on Christmas eve i went to a nightclub because i thought that could be fun. And I met a guy from Goa who invited me to his parents' house for Christmas dinner, which happened to be indian food. They were so nice to me, bought me a gift and everything. And so now every Christmas day or eve (depending on my schedule) I eat Indian food. I'd like to keep that up with daughter.