TTC after 35
Options

High Progesterone?

mileeenamileeena member
edited November 2015 in TTC after 35

Hi ladies,

I went to check my TSH level today and since I'm 7dpo according to Fertility Friend (I only chart bbt) decided to check progesterone, too. My gynecologist wasn't sure if/when I ovulated when I visited last week, so I thought - if it isn't too low, everything is fine. My thyroid is OK, but my progesterone is 29.32ng/ml. Anyone here with similar value? I browsed many websites today and found that normal values in luteal phase are up to 20 (one website mentioned 27). I expected it to be lower since I wasn't even sure that I ovulated, and now I'm concerned about this higher value. I don't think it could be a sign of pregnancy since I'm only 7dpo.

Does anyone have any thought or experience on this matter? Thank you very much!

Edit: I'm aware that I should discuss this with my gynecologist, but my next visit isn't until  January unless I get bfp, so I was just hoping that someone with similar experience would share some information. Thanks!

Re: High Progesterone?

• Options
    Betty965Betty965 member
    edited November 2015
    I had a value of over 60 ng/ml when I was checked two cycles ago after my trigger shot. At first I was worried that it was too high, but my doc said it was great. That is with meds (Clomid and HCG shot)  but still... mine was almost twice what yours is in the tww and my doc was very happy. This cycle I had a progesterone level of 35.87. So, it sounds like you're ok. I hope that helps!
    I am 35 to DH for almost two years. Actively ttc #1 since October 2014. Charting, Clomid, HCH shots, Timed Intercourse.
    DH SA looks great, my numbers look great... trying B6, Zinc, Vitamin C, you name it. Avid reader of TCOYF, FF junkie. Trying to keep the faith once cycle at a time.
  • Options
    Thank you very much @Betty965 You're right - even though I don't take any meds, 29 is still significantly lower than 60. Now I feel a little calmer.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine was 10.8 at 8dpo and I found out two days later that I was pregnant.  When they called me with the results, they just said it confirms that I ovulated.  I explained that I knew I was ovulating and just found out I was pregnant, but I was concerned that my progesterone wasn't high enough to maintain a pregnancy.  She sounded unconcerned and said she'd run it by the dr to see if he wanted to do anything, and I never heard anything more about it.  I've noticed on the Bump that a lot of dr's don't concern themselves with progesterone.  It's so frustrating!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    @Mileeena my Dr always told me anything over 25 was good, so 29 seems perfect based on that standard.
    @CarrieandRoy With my last pregnancy they tested for progesterone starting at my 6 week appointment along with my HCG, but I had to ask that they test for it. My numbers always came in low, between 10-12, which my Dr said is in the grey area, meaning below 10 is bad, over 25 is good, anything in between in undetermined. My numbers dropped down to 9 right before my MC around 8 weeks. If you are worried I'd request they do the test, and explain that your history of MC and CP makes you think you might have low progesterone. You might get some push back. My Dr said they typically don't start someone on progesterone supplements unless they have had 3 consecutive MC's. So they may not want to do the tests since you don't meet that threshold, but stand your ground. What progesterone does is help thicken the lining of your uterus which nourishes the embryo until the placenta can take over (somewhere around the beginning of the second trimester). Some people think a drop in progesterone will cause a MC in an otherwise health pregnancy while others think its just the bodies natural way to terminate a pregnancy that isn't viable. The bottom line is that we just don't know enough really for there to be any clear answers. However, it also cant hurt to take the supplement since your body produces progesterone naturally. Anyway, just wanted to say as much since you mentioned they havent talked to you about it more. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Thanks so much for responding, @rspalding001.  I don't know if my MMC was progesterone related, but I think the CP might have been.  I started showing signs of low progesterone toward the end of July and the CP pregnancy was in August.  The signs continued for months and seemed to improve a bit when I ovulated this time, but my temps still aren't as high as they were for my first pregnancy.

I wish you could call the doctor for me.  I feel so timid advocating for myself.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    mileeenamileeena member
    edited November 2015
    @CarrieandRoy Yes, it's awful how some doctors don't take progesterone levels seriously when we all know how important they are for a healthy pregnancy. Can you take blood tests without doctors' orders in the U.S.? Here in Serbia we can do that in private labs, so at least we can find out if everything is okay whenever we want and act accordingly (our health system does have many other downsides, though).

@rspalding001 Thank you so much for your response! It' very helpful.
  • Options
    You can do private testing here. There's this site called "request-a-test" and you can just go to any nearby lab and get a test done. Not sure how much the progesterone test would cost but you can look into it.

I had to really fight hard to get my obgyn to test my progesterone after my 2nd m/c. My levels were low so she put me on supplements for my luteal phase (after much begging on my part). But both my RE and acupuncturist now believe they can get me to have a "strong" ovulation and that I won't need the supplements. I just got back my progesterone test results today and my level was 17.2. I'm at 6dpo (couldn't do the test tomorrow since it's Thanksgiving). My RE said that this is a great level and it definitely confirms a good, strong ovulation. I've read that anything over 15 on a medicated cycle is good but I see some of you saying it should be over 20 or 25. Hmmmm, not sure if I'm in the clear then. I know there's no harm in taking it, it's just that I feel really awful on it and get a lot of side effects (even after taking it for many cycles). I think the whole progesterone thing is confusing, with different docs saying and believing different things...
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Options
    I'll check into that, @mileeena. I was just doing some googling and someone's dr said progesterone supplements can be bad for the baby if it is a boy. So that makes me even less sure what to do. Finding out my progesterone level would still be helpful, though.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Options
    My RE only seems to care about my progesterone levels on my medicated/monitored cycles (when he's getting paid). I have a strong feeling that I have low progesterone on my own and that's why I can't get pregnant. But he won't test. I'm getting a second opinion because this is ridiculous. I know what you mean about feeling timid when you are trying to advocate for yourself. It's frustrating and expensive. Good luck!
    I am 35 to DH for almost two years. Actively ttc #1 since October 2014. Charting, Clomid, HCH shots, Timed Intercourse.
    DH SA looks great, my numbers look great... trying B6, Zinc, Vitamin C, you name it. Avid reader of TCOYF, FF junkie. Trying to keep the faith once cycle at a time.
  • Options
    I called my dr and asked to have my progesterone checked again to make sure it's high enough for pregnancy and they they said my level of 10.8 at 8dpo was fine and I need to relax and stop stressing. I simultaneously feel relieved that they think I'm fine, and on the verge of tears because my fears were ignored. I've found it odd that I'm not super emotional this time around, so I guess feeling like I'm gonna cry is a good sign. ...Oy. Multiple miscarriages really mess with your head. I wish I could hibernate until my odds are better. Still have a 20.5% chance of loss at this point.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Options
    @CarrieandRoy - I'm sorry your doctor isn't addressing your worries better. I understand the stress and fear. I guess all you can do is sit and wait. I'm really hoping and praying that this one sticks! Sending you hugs.
  • Options
    @carrieandroy that must be frustrating to have them brush you off like that. Really hoping that they are right and all is well! On the other side of that, if at any time you really feel like you need that piece of mind by having your levels check, don't hesitate to fight until you get it. I take the approach of just going around "the system" by working with people who can order tests for me and I just pay out of pocket. Some acupuncturists can order the serum progesterone test, and you might find a midwife, or birth center who is willing to order it for you. FX FX FX! Hang in there and I hope you find a path that keeps you in the best place for a H&H9 months!
  • Options
    @CarrieandRoy - you can also pay $60 to get your progesterone tested HERE. I know that's a bit pricey but if it will help you have peace of mind, then it's worth it.
  • Options
    @jilligan14 ohhhh thanks for posting that site, my lady had the test at $120, but I am just going to order it directly from that site if/when I get pregnant. 
  • Options
    Hang in there @carrieandroy. I'm so sorry about the doctor's brush off. Praying for good sticky baby goodness for you!
  • Options
    I think I'll just trust the dr for now. Thanks so much for being here for me during these early days. It's hard not knowing if things will work out this time.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Options
    mileeenamileeena member
    edited November 2015
    @CarrieandRoy I'm sure you already know this - there are many ways you can increase progesterone levels naturally, including eating food rich in magnesium, vitamin c, etc. Here's a short article on this subject ( I hope that I don't violate any rules by posting a link):
    youqueen.com/life/health/top-7-natural-ways-to-increase-progesterone/
    Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Awesome, @mileeena! I didn't know that! Thank you!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Options
    I asked my OB to test my progesterone a few months back. I was 5dpo and it was 19. She said they like to see over 20, but for 5dpo it was normal and I clearly ovulated. She also said that regardless of the number she would not prescribe progesterone b/c the latest recommendation from the leading reproductive endocrinology assoc. is not to supplement solely to extend luteal phase. According to her, its very controversial whether progesterone supplementation does anything for a natural pregnancy and that recent studies are showing that women with widely varying progesterone levels can carry healthy pregnancies and there's no way to determine whether the level is appropriate for that woman. In IVF cycles, it's obviously different b/c your body is not triggered to naturally produce the progesterone it needs, but that's the only scenerio in which she says she would recommend progesterone supplementation. I was kind of floored by that given everything I've read about the importance of progesterone.