May 2016 Moms

Dumb Question

So I've been coming down with a sinus infection.  I know it is that b/c I get them all the time even when not pregnant.  The problem is my OBGYN has this "rule" where I can't go to any other doctor (not even my primary care physician) without their prior approval.   I feel miserable and want to nip this thing in the bud.  My OBGYN has an on call nurse.  I just tried to call the number that the OBGYN office's recording gave and the phone number is not in service.  I don't know if they put the wrong number on there or not.  I was calling to get permission to go to the FastMed Urgent Care place so I could get some doctor approved medicine in me to knock this thing out.  I don't want to get on the bad side of my OBGYN by not following their rules, but at the same time I don't want to feel miserable. 
If you ladies were in this position what would you do?  Wait til Monday when the office is open and call and ask them then, or just go to FastMed now and ask forgiveness later?

First Pregnancy
  • BFP: 01/25/2015
  • EDD: 09/28/2015
  • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
  • EDD: 05/25/2016
Baby Born
04/15/2016

PGAL

Re: Dumb Question

• I would do whatever I wanted. They don't own your body. 

Also--I am pretty sure I've got a nasty cold/sinus infection. I've been doing my neti pot like crazy--do you expect to get meds that help? Perhaps I should call my dr. too?
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• nerdymama15nerdymama15 member
    edited November 2015
    vinerie said:
    I would do whatever I wanted. They don't own your body. 

Also--I am pretty sure I've got a nasty cold/sinus infection. I've been doing my neti pot like crazy--do you expect to get meds that help? Perhaps I should call my dr. too?

Meds that help me are antibotics.  It knocks out the infection part of it and makes it slightly more bearable.
    Edit:  Neti pot does not work for me right now.  It goes up one side and stays there as in does not come out the other side.  That's how blocked up I am.

First Pregnancy

Second Pregnancy

Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Loading the player...
  • vinerie said:
    I would do whatever I wanted. They don't own your body. 

Meds that help me are antibotics.  It knocks out the infection part of it and makes it slightly more bearable.
    Edit:  Neti pot does not work for me right now.  It goes up one side and stays there as in does not come out the other side.  That's how blocked up I am.
    Ugh...I hate that. I am like that in the mornings. Sometimes I feel my nose open up a bit and I run to the bathroom to do a neti pot. I'm slightly obsessed with it, though. Here's hoping we both start to feel better...
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Is that a normal thing for OBs to ask of people? I have never heard of that in my life.
  • I would get the meds. You tried doing it their way and calling. No need to wait and make your infection worse!
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Get what you need now and ask for forgiveness later... or don't. Your OB could just not ever know about this at all, or she could ask you for forgiveness for making rules that keep you from getting medical treatment when you need it.
  • I've never heard of an OB making that demand. I would see your regular doc and just make sure they know you are pregnant so they can prescribe accordingly
  • I'd go to the doctor.  If they expect you to only interact with them then they should have a live person 24/7 to answer your questions.  It's not really practical to expect otherwise.

Agreed. Pregnancy is demanding, and things happen at all hours. If you can't reach them, you cannot be expected to wait around while your comfort is at stake.
  • kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited November 2015
    Last pregnancy I had a sinus and bacterial ear infection. I went to the doctor and was prescribed amoxicillan (sp?) which is cat. B, and started feeling better within a day. I just called my OB afterwards to tell them what had been prescribed so they could put it in the file since they wanted to be kept in the loop.
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • Thank  ya'll for the input.  I'm definitely going tomorrow afternoon.  Hoping to get some type of relief. 

First Pregnancy

Second Pregnancy

Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL

• Neti pot does not work for me right now.  It goes up one side and stays there as in does not come out the other side.  That's how blocked up I am. 
    I know I've said this before on other threads, so forgive me for repeating myself, but:

***TRY SINUCLEANSE!!!!!!*** 

I have the same issues with neti pots: because of septum issues they don't work for me even when I'm not particularly stuffed up. There's just not enough pressure.  SinuCleanse is a squirt bottle with saline solution that works no matter how stuffed up I am. Same principle, more force.

*gross part*
    The first time I used SinuCleanse I was desperate: I hadn't been able to breathe through my nose at all in three weeks and I had tried damn near every allergy med (all to no avail/they all knocked me out) and I was mainlining advil cold and sinus just to stay functional. I tried SinuCleanse, and I could literally feel the horribleness moving around in my sinuses. It took I think three squirts: by the third, the horribleness dislodged and came out my other nostril: this big thick green glob of grossness just fell out of my nose and plopped in the sink. AND I COULD BREATHE!  I was so happy I cried.  It's never gotten that bad again, mostly because at the first sign of stuffiness I SinuCleanse, so the grodiness doesn't have a chance to build up like that.
    *end gross part*

I cannot recommend SinuCleanse highly enough.  I should become a paid spokesman...
  • So how are you supposed to get ahold of your doctor if there was an emergency or when you go into labor? You have to be able to get ahold of someone!
  • So how are you supposed to get ahold of your doctor if there was an emergency or when you go into labor? You have to be able to get ahold of someone!

Really that was the first thing I thought. It would concern me that the number they have available isn't even working yet they want you to be in contact for things like this. My birthing centers phone number has a message then automatically forwards to an answering service after hours for when I do go into labor so thankfully I don't actually need to remember a number.
  • I realized today that the number was a mistake on my part. Stupid sausage fingers and small touch screen keys. I tried it again today and it worked. Apparently I had dialed incorrect number from what I had written down and didn't realize it at the time and freaked out.
    Anyway went and was diagnosed with severe acute sinusitis and prescribed a Zpack since I'm allergic to amoxicillian
    Hoping it helps.

First Pregnancy

Second Pregnancy

Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • @nerdymama15 , I hope you feel better QUICK! Zpacks are amazing.