Baby Names
Options

Thoughts on Kharis?

macc2macc2 member
edited November 2015 in Baby Names
Hi ladies. Any feedback on the name Kharis for a girl? (Kharis is Greek for "grace, kindness, love" but we aren't Greek). I knew a girl growing up with this and and always thought it was pretty...

Re: Thoughts on Kharis?

• Options
    I would probably use Carys.
  • Options
    Carys is better
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had always seen this name spelled at Carys. Not a big fan of the K spelling...it just looks off to me. Carys is a lovely name! 

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Options
    Not a fan honestly. Is it pronounced like Carys?
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    Yes, pronounced like Carys. For some reason I'm not a fan of this spelling and like the "is" at the end..
  • Options
    Charis or Carys. The k is awkward looking.
  • Options
    It looks like the Kardashians got ahold of Carys. I do like Carys so I like the sound but not how this spelling looks, personally.
  • Options
    With Charis I worry people would assume pronouncing it Chair-us.
  • Options
    holocene said:

Carys is a total guilty pleasure name of mine. Spelled Kharis, it reads too Khaleesi from GOT for me. 

Haha! That's fair
  • Options
    It's pretty, don't get me wrong! But I feel like you'll have a lot of people associate the two, despite being different names. (Just based on spelling). Do you like Greek names? My niece is Nella, it means light. 
  • Options
    I like the spelling Carys
  • Options
    I think it's nice, but some people will probably think it was a kre8iv name choice unless you tell them otherwise. If Kharis is the legit Greek spelling and you love it, though, I wouldn't change it to another version.
  • Options
    i would probably go with Kharis just because - being half Greek - that looks like it is the correct spelling of a Greek name. i can't speak it, but based off how half my family's names are spelled, Kharis looks correct compared to Carys. tbh though, I'm not a huge fan of the name.
  • Options
    Carys
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    I have a cousin named Karis. I've never thought the name looked weird or "Kardashianized," but that might just be because she's the only one I know!
  • Options
    I think that a lot of people are going to assume that it is a trendy Carys with the Kardashian K.  If that doesn't bother you and you love the name/spelling, then you should use it.  It is a legitimate spelling, after all.  Unfortunately, so many people have created you-neek names that these less common spellings tend to get grouped in with those made-up ones.

• Options
    It looks Kardashianized which sucks because I realize it's a legitimate Greek spelling. My personal opinion is that Carys or even Caris is prettier to look at but... that's just me.
  • Options
    As someone who is not familar with with either Kharis or Carys, I really want to pronounce it Char-is. It's a pretty meaning, but just know it's going to get butchered her whole life and she's going to have to spell it everytime. Also, it's important to consider what her nickname will be, it will almost always get shortened. My name is Natalie and my parents never imagined I'd get called Natty in school, they hate it, lol.