January 2016 Moms
Options

Choking while sleeping

last night I got sleep after 2 nights and woke up at 2:30 am choking not able to breath and cough not on saliva it is acid reflex happens like twice.is any o e else having same issue.i am 34wks and 2days!!!

Re: Choking while sleeping

• Options
    I had this problem after eating chili a little too late for dinner. I woke up about midnight, just choking.
    I've really had to go nuts with the Gaviscon in addition to my daily Prevacid.
    The chewable Gaviscon get rid of the acid, so then you can just burp up the gas. Gross, yes. Better than the alternative, though.
    Sleeping on your left side helps, also. The curve of your esophagus is such that the top end curves up when you're laying on your left.

I've had to completely cut out acidic fruits, Mexican food, chili, and any kind of really heavy food. It really sucks, but the trade-off is worth it. I'm already up enough with peeing a million times and Charlie horses. I don't want to wake up miserable from acid reflux, too.
  • Options
    Tnks for comments
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can also try raising the head of your bed an inch or two so that you are on an incline and the acid has to fight gravity to come up your esophagus.
  • Options
    This has happened to me 5 times now throughout my pregnancy. But I'm not sure if mine is due to acid reflux or sleep apnea. But, I do know that it's one of the worst things in the world, though I think it scares SO more than it does myself.
  • Options
    I choke so bad on my acid reflux, I've coughed so hard I've thrown up. So I take Tums and sleep with a bucket next to the bed, just in case.

You can get you doc to prescribe something, but since I'm in the home stretch (December baby), I'm just dealing with it.
  • Options
    When that started happening to me about 6 weeks ago that was the final straw. I started taking Zantac 150 before dinner at that point and haven't had that problem since. I started with tums before the Zantac, but that didn't help perfectly and then I got super constipated.
  • Options
    Sleep apnea?? Apparently it's common in pregnant people. My husband has it. Maybe give it a Google.