March 2016 Moms

GERD acid reflux issue

Has anyone dealt with GERD reflux? My throat bothers me (like something is stuck in my throat). It has started affecting my sleep now too. It seems to happen at night... Any suggestions on how to get rid of it or relieve issues?

Re: GERD acid reflux issue

• Have you tried avoiding large meals, especially before bed, sitting upright at least 30 minutes after eating, or elevating your head/ upper body at night time? Also foods high in acid or fat content can make it worse. If these don't help talk to your doctor and they may offer other solutions. Hope this helps :)
  • Thank you! I have tried those... I think a call to my dr is next on the list.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was seriosuly eating tums like candy... just at the OB now and picking up a script to help...

LFAF- Best Olympic Moments...  Jackie Joyner-Kersee

• Zantac!!! I have prescription for it, and it works to tame it but not 100%.
    Smaller meals helps too.
  • Thank you!!!!!!
  • Sleeping propped up, watching what you eat/drink (I have to say bye bye to OJ and tomato sauces), and tums helps but if it's really bad, talk to your OB about which prescriptions are safest/recommended.  Gerd can really do some damage to your esophagus and vocal folds (ie, if you start to develop a cough or a raspy/hoarse quality to your voice), so it's not a bad idea to check out drug options with your dr.  
  • I take Zantac. It helps a lot. I took before pregnant as well. You can get by perscription or over the counter depending on your insurance and cheaper route.
  • I've been dealing with reflux problems for 18 years. It's been so bad lately. Fast relief but don't use it all the time is a little baking soda in water. Dr told me to take Zantac as needed.

From years of experience - No chocolate, carbonated drinks, nothing spicy, I can't touch anything acid based (oj, tomato sauce, etc). Stick with bland food. Don't eat too late. Worst case I've been known to sleep on the recliner sitting up.