Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

5 month old fighting bedtime

Hi all,
Im new to this forum and would really appreciate some feedback :)

My little one has been crying a lot at night when my bf and I try to put her down at 5:30 pm. We've been sleep training her for the past month by putting her down drowsy but awake and it has seemed to go fairly well. Most days she'll put up a mild fuss for her naps and then fall asleep. But recently within the past week at bedtime when we put her down she will cry for up to 2 hours before drifting off. We've tried making her bedtime later but that only seems to make the crying worse. She doesn't seem to be teething as Ive checked for redness in her gums and havent noticed any. She started rolling over a month ago and I havent noticed any other milestones like sitting up as I know these things can definitely affect sleep. Im just kinda confused? Maybe its part of her becoming more aware of her surroundings and having too much accumulated energy at night? Any suggestions? Should I keep her bedtime at 5:30 or make it later? Oh I forgot to mention she does generally nap for a total of 3-5 hours a day, so I know she is getting enough sleep with that. Should I change anything with her naps though? Ive been doubting myself so much lately because it seems like I have more questions than answers :/

Thankyou for reading this long post ❤

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

This is a tough one. 5:30 seems a little early to me but when is her last nap?

I have never been one to follow the whole "drowsy but awake" thing with either of my kids so I'm no help there. I don't think that rocking a baby until they are asleep then putting them in bed will do any harm or create a bad habit. I did it with both of my kids until they got older and stopped falling asleep drinking a bottle.

This could just be a random phase that will pass. IMO sleeping is really tough and all over the place until about 9 months old.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Her last nap is usually between 2 and 3 and is no longer than an hour. I feel bad when I hear her crying and try to comfort her by shushing and rubbing her back. If she's not calming down then I will pick her up and rock her until she is calm and then put her down. But that only brings fresh screams and more crying so I feel like Im doing it wrong :/ Just today Ive tried bringing her in her room about 10 mins before I put her down for a nap and I lay on the bed with her where its quiet and let her talk and hold her lovey while I talk to her. Then when she starts fussing Ill hold her for a min and put her down. So far today Ive noticed less protesting before she's asleep so that might make a difference tonight? I also think I might push her bedtime a little later, starting with half an hour and see how that goes. Thankyou for sharing your input! :)
  • Options
    5:30 seems really early, does she sleep through the night then? My LO goes to bed between 8 and 9 and is up between 5 and 6. Sometimes I get her a bottle and other times she goes back to sleep right away until 8 or 9am. She takes 3, one hour naps around 12pm, 3pm and 6 pm give or take as I pretty much follow her cues.