February 2016 Moms

Baby Wise

I have a coworker who recently returned to work from her 8 week maternity. She told me about a book called Baby Wise, in which it talks about how to get your baby on a regulated schedule. Her DD is alittle over 10 weeks old and she sleeps from 10pm-5am using the advise and strategies from this book. She said it was tough and thought it wasnt working but once baby got to 8 weeks she had a pretty normal schedule. Have and of you STM/TTM used this method? Thoughts..advise ? Thanks
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Baby Wise

• I did this with DD! I altered it a little bit to fit what I felt was best for my kid. I checked in her and soothed her every 10 minutes instead of 20 and I let her determine what would end up being her nap schedule since she was breastfed on demand. But it worked really really well for her. She was on a regular schedule within a couple weeks of starting it and sleeping 5 to 6 hours a night by 5 weeks. I used it as she got older as well. It made it so that she has always been good about her bed time and her nap times. I have had very little trouble getting her to go to bed at her assigned bed time. It isn't because she's some naturally good sleeper, though. It really is a lot of work. but she was a much happier baby when we stuck to the schedule and she was able to get enough sleep. Cons were If her schedule was off it really threw off her day and she'd be very cranky.
  • Thank you for your input. I wanted to hear stories from other moms. I know its hard to stick with but DH works nights :( and once I go back to work this would be easier on baby and I. I really want to nurse her and will try my best. I hear to many new moms get discouraged. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Mamacat316Mamacat316 member
    edited November 2015
    I agree with @Achae. I have issues with sleep training in general, but I have never heard of anyone trying to "get their baby on a schedule" before like 4-5 months. It seems way too young. Plus, if you are breastfeeding you will need to get up and pump if you're not feeding your baby at night, right? Or wake up with painfully engorged boobs. If I didn't feed or pump every 4ish hours in the early months, things got intense, but that's just my experience.
  • Thanks ladies you have given me more things to think about when it comes to this theory! Very glad to get other moms opinions !
  • We did the Babywise method and I am so incredibly glad that we did. DS responded very well to the parent-led feeding and was STTN at 11 weeks. I don't think that every child or every parent necessarily fits this style though. We will try it again with this one and pray that she responds just as favorably.
    I do recommend this to every first time mom to at least read it and see if it is something that might fit for them. This is because of the very clear guidelines it lays out that eliminates a whole lot of question marks that newborns bring to mind. It even addresses colicky babies and multiples and preemies.

• I haven't read yet, but I did hear it's a little extreme, but if you modify what it's says to what fits best for you & baby it very helpful! I'll be a first time mom, but from what I hear it's nice to try new things, then see what works best for you guys!
  • With my first, we just kept to a schedule.  We put him to bed at the same time every night.  We put him in for naps at the same time everyday.  It took a while for him to actually sleep during those times but we were very consistent.  He is now over 2 and is still napping every day.  Also, sleeps through the night from 8:00-7 and has been doing this since about 6 months old. 

He was FF so I'm sure that helped a little. 

• I BF on demand and my DD was sleeping 6 hours the first week and by two months 10-12 hours. I think it was just luck having a good baby or genetics(both my sister and I were good sleepers). But I did remain as consistent as possible with Her schedule and took her places so she could sleep anywhere(well while baby wearing) and I was never super quite during naps; I'd vacuum and the dog would bark. She's still a good sleeper
    But like others have said every baby is different and it doesn't hurt to research different methods.
  • We used Baby wise with my first and it was AWESOME. It does follow a schedule but it is does not differ from a normal babies schedule. Wake, eat, play and repeat. It helped him sleep and he began to know what to expect. If he cried i almost always new why because of the schedule. I highly recommend it.
  • The AAP has issued a warning against this book due to risk of failure to thrive. I would be extremely cautious if you decide to go this route.

In my opinion it doesn't foster a great breastfeeding relationship. Feeding on demand is the crux of breastfeeding and your body makes a large percentage of milk at night.

Babies are supposed to wake at night. They consume a large amount of calories at night. It's also natures way of preventing sids.
  • I never read any baby books and my DD was STTN at 8wks, in her own room, in the crib. I really think it just depends on the baby- Meaning I take absolutely zero credit for the fact that she was an easy baby. I really do not put a lot of stock into books like this for babies because every baby is so different. I think it's great as an option, but I wouldn't get upset if things don't work out for your LO. You just never know. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Babywise is controversial, like PP said. The original version, when strictly adhered to, has apparently been linked to child abuse cases. It has since been edited, not to be quite as strict, I guess. I had no idea of this when I read it (the newer version).

What I took away from Babywise was the overall "schedule" of sleep, eat, play, sleep, eat, play. I liked the consistency of offering to nurse upon wakening each time, and eventually my boys did basically just nurse at those times. I would never dream of withholding milk if they were otherwise hungry, though, so I don't see the harm in it. It made it much easier to go out and do things. Rather than getting to the grocery store and having to nurse at some point during the trip because baby is hungry, I wait until baby wakes up, nurse, and then go. I'm sure I'll do that again this time, too, for the sake of my sanity.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I BF on demand followed the basics of baby wise. It doesn't have to be one or the other. DD's schedule ended up being wake, eat, play, eat, sleep lol. I never had trouble with my supply by having her sleep scheduled and never woke up engorged. I could pump an entire bottle between feedings if I wanted. Our bodies are pretty amazing when it comes to knowing how and when our babies need to eat. I'd never dream of letting DD cry for long periods of time. She go down and I'd check every ten minutes and comfort feed her until she was almost asleep and lay her back down again. We worked at it and I followed her lead on a lot of things. i imagine I'll have to tweak it a little differently for DD#2 but we will follow the same basic concept.