Infertility
Options

Introduction and question about meds after BFP (even though I don't have it yet)

Hello! My name is Lynn and I am new here. I'm 35 and DH is 43. Our issue is sperm motility, which is what initially led us to a urologist. They performed an ultrasound and found spots on his testicle. Our TTC journey came to a complete halt while we got my DH healthy. He had testicular cancer, had to remove the testicle, but had no needed treatment (chemo/radiation), yay! Now that he is tip top, it's back to baby making!
:-)

We had our ER 10/10, which produced 21 eggs, 14 of which were fertilized. After discussing options, we decided to go with a FET right off the bat. We ended up with 2 embryos on day 5 and another 3 on day 6 for a total of 5 that they froze. Once I got AF, we started my cycle for the ET, which was just done on 11/19. So now here I am, 5 days down and 5 to go until my beta. They did blood today (for med adjustments) and said I have "early signs of implantation," YAY!!! But they added another medication to my lovely collection. I feel that I have a crazy amount of meds....

Lupron (which finally finished, after 3 weeks)

*Estrace (2 pills, 3 times a day)
*Progesterone pills (1 pill, 4 times a day)
*Minivalle patches (2 patches, changed every 3 days)
*PIO (2cc daily)
*And now, progesterone vaginal suppositories (morning and night)

I mean seriously, that's a ton, right?! Which brings me to my question. My transfer paperwork mentioned that if I become pregnant, my meds will continue for 10 weeks, yes, 10 weeks! Does anyone have any insight on this? I plan to ask, but just am thought someone might have some knowledge on this. I can't imagine doing PIO for 10 weeks, that's 70 shots people, ugh!!!

Re: Introduction and question about meds after BFP (even though I don't have it yet)

• Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited November 2015
    **BFP Mentioned**

@lmgibson20 That actually is a 'normal' amount of meds for FET, but a ton and I mean a whole lot, of progesterone. Consider that With your fake cycle, LO has to have a carefully crafted environment to know it belongs and should make a forever home, well a nine month home anyway! ;)

Do you normally test low with progesterone? Maybe they will lower it after your results? 3 types of progesterone seems odd. Especially with PIO. I'd definitely inquire unless you have really low test results. :)

As to your main question, believe it! Those of us lucky enough to have a BFP (thankfully with IVF the odds of that are much higher!), have to take PIO through weeks 7-12. I took PIO (1cc) every night through week 9. It sucked! We moan about it a lot. But we do it and you can too! ;) (both the moaning and the doing). I also took estrace 2x a day through week 9, but those were the only two meds after BFP.

So happy your DH is healthy and you are having a great cycle. Enjoy your PUPO days and keep us updated!
  • Options
    **BFP mentioned****

I didn't have as many meds, but we did ivf for a different reason and it was a fresh transfer. So I'm sure that's normal. However, I did have to take PIO for 10 weeks. It seems impossible and I dreaded it so much, but how much it sucks doesn't even matter when you can feel your sweet baby kicking away inside you. I would do PIO every day of my life if I had to, it's beyond worth it. You'll get through it & best of luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you @HBamama2B and @beckihall for answering my question. @HBamama2B I honestly don't know if I test low with progesterone. When the nurse calls me, she always says my numbers look good, so I've never thought to question what my levels actually are. I will definitely inquire after my beta on Sunday. 4 more days!!!
  • Options
    Sticky thoughts! Sticky thoughts! :)
  • Options
    Keep in mind that with an artificial cycle, you have no corpus luteum (left over after ovulation), which is responsible for generating progesterone until the placenta has developed enough to create progesterone itself.  So you will take progesterone until you reach that point, which generally coincides with the beginning of the 2nd trimester.

Fingers crossed for you!
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    ****bfp mentioned*** so I did a fresh transfer which is a bit different so I can only comment on the progesterone because that's the only Med I was on... You seem to be on a super high dose... I have naturally very low progesterone and was only on crinone suppositories twice a day. I used them my entire first trimester-- my doc did say I could go off them at 10 wks but I was too nervous to. Though u are on a very high dose of progesterone, it's totally worth it to take it. Just be prepared for very oily skin and acne (that's what happened to me anyway) but the good news is it cleared almost overnight once I stopped taking the progesterone. Best of luck to you! I hope u get ur bfp! Remember it will all be worth it in the end!!
  • Options
    Thank you @KLake42 and @tripledaggerWed95976! I'm definitely going to inquire about my progesterone.