May 2016 Moms

Anyone else feel like their body is a chemistry experiment??

So this is my 2nd...and its nothing like the first.  TMI ahead---I have days where I simply can't go to the bathroom, doesn't really matter what I do.  Just doesn't happen.  For awhile, I was going days without going even though I still actively work out, eat fiber, eat fruits, etc.  The doc told me to take 2 colace a day, so I did that....now the last 2 days..at least 3x a day w/yucky stomach issues.  Anyone else having similar symptoms and then have relief?  Any help is welcome!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else feel like their body is a chemistry experiment??

• I'm guessing you're talking about #2s? During the first few weeks, I only went #2 once per week. I tried to take something for it, but it didn't help. In the end, I just let it resolve itself (took about 3 weeks). I wasn't hurting or anything so I took it as no big deal. Hopefully yours resolves soon! Let your doctor know the treatment is bugging you- maybe there's an alternative your doc can recommend.

In terms of this pregnancy being way different from the last, my friends with multiple kids say that's how they determined early on that they were having a child of the other gender. I'm a FTM, so I can only pass on the story but can't confirm it personally.
  • Pharmacist here: Bowel changes are normal in pregnancy, and habits can change throughout as hormone levels vary. If 2 colace per day was too much, but still helpful, back it down to 1 per day or 1 every other day. Colace is a stool softener, makes it easier to pass. My rule of thumb is that if you're not straining or uncomfortable then things are probably fine. Don't strain...you don't want haemorrhoids.
  • Loading the player...
  • Colace never worked for me. I had to just let it resolve itself on its own. Everyone looks at me like a freak, but when I took the colace it actually became harder and more painful to go. Just didn't agree with my system I guess. Bowel issues stink. But as pp said as long as you're comfortable you're probably fine. That's my rule of thumb from now on :)
  • Miralax works for me and will regulate me for at least a few days. Also lots and lots of water. This is my second also and I dont remember being so stopped up!
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• It could just be in my mind but I had cut out all caffeine, including my morning coffee, for the first 8 weeks. Once I added back 1 morning cup, #2 issues mostly cleared up. This may sound crazy or be a coincidence but if it's working, I'll stick with it!