February 2016 Moms
Options

Hurt my back

Hello everything this morning at work I bent down to do something & instant lower back pain mainly on my left side. I worked 6 hours & I couldn't stand it anymore so I left early. I can only lay flat on my back without being in a lot of pain to get up it takes about 20 minutes to get out of bed it hurts so bad. To use the bathroom I can't even sit on the toilet I start screaming in pain. I called my obgyn & she said the only thing I could do is take Tylenol 500mg every 8 hours & a heating pad. My question is if I go to the ER would they be able to do anything for me? Or is resting my only option.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hurt my back

• Options
    They may be able to give you stronger meds. Once I got Benadryl through an IV just to knock me out so I wouldn't fee pain.
    I hope you feel better soon!!
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I slipped a disk with my last pregnancy. There was a low grade muscle relaxer that my OB was able to give me that was safe for baby too. It helped a lot but made me very tired.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of controversy regarding this subject. My first pregnancy I had a gall bladder issue, and was put in hospital for 4 days on heavy IV pain meds. I asked dr's continuously if this was safe for my baby, and he said as long as your not a chronic drug user it's fine. I was 10 weeks. My son is 7 and he is incredibly smart. This go round I've since hurt my back, and with the weight and everything else my back has been on fire. I've been on Tylenol #3 ( not continually ) and baby is totally fine, dr 's are fine with it as well. Keep in mind some Dr's are more conservative then others. It all really depends on your pain tolerance. If you are in agonizing pain, it's not good for your body or your baby. Opinion only, if you can't even get to the bathroom I would make a visit to the ER. They will help you. Hope that helps! Back pain is no joke!
  • Options
    So I totally forgot this happened, which is funny since my scars still haven't healed, but I had my appendix removed in August while pregnant. For two days I was on IV dilaudid and oxycodone. For a month after I was taking pill form of oxy. My pain persisted longer than normal due to a growing stomach while my incisions were trying to close, just owe..
    But I've (obviously) had several check ups since then and the baby is great! She's ahead of schedule.
    I also have flexeril (a muscle relaxer) that I take 3 times a day because of severe hip pain. I don't know why I didn't even think of these things in my first comment.
    Whatever you and your OB feel comfortable with is a good option.
  • Options
    I'd ask for a referral to a physical therapist. They might be more helpful than your obgyn. Also I was in extreme pain a couple weeks ago. My obgyn had me on 1000 mg of tylenol every 6-8 hours. Physical therapy helped and luckily I'm off that dose of tylenol now.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• Options
    @MamaFroFro what did they have you do during physical therapy? I start Dec 2nd.