December 2015 Moms
Options

Dog lethargic and not himself

So my dog bubba has been acting super wierd since about saturday.

He is just not himself and is lethargic. I took him to the vet yesterday and all his bloodwork came back normal. He is eatin and drinking normal, but just not himself.

Vet said it could be because I am so pregnant (39 weeks) and my husband was super sick with the flu this past weekend.

Anyone else have anythi ng happen like this with your last pregnancy and your dog or happening this pregnancy. I'm worried about my little guy.

Re: Dog lethargic and not himself

• Options
    I haven't had this happen but I hope your little buddy is ok and gets back to being himself soon!! It's so hard when they can't tell us what's wrong!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    During my first pregnancy, one of my dogs developed a fear of me around 20 weeks.  Every time she would see me she would pee on the floor and run away.  It didn't go away until my son was born.  Is this your first?  Since all his blood work came back OK, your doggie may just be upset because he knows you are pregnant.

Edited to add:  Also, one of my previous doggies (RIP Maggie!) started acting out, destroying things and actually bit the dog groomer, which she had never done before, when my Dad passed away.  She was like that for about a week or two.  Obviously, the whole family was upset, to include my little Maggie.  Our doggies feel things too!

Married - 10/10/2009

DS - Due 11/3/2012 born 9/28/2012 due to Severe Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome

DD - EDD 12/30/15

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think my dog has a cold. He's sneezing and I've even seen his nose running - looks just like when a human has a runny nose. It's pretty gross. He played with some other dogs this weekend and I think he caught something from them. I hope your little guy feels better soon! He's so cute! Here's my guy....
  • Options
    pupsicle23pupsicle23 member
    edited November 2015
    I have a 10 yr old dog who has been acting funny during my pregnancy. For a few months, she was very anxious and would hide under the bed. Now, she's sleeping around the clock. We have other pets, and she will stay in bed while they run around and check things out -- very unusual for her. The vet said she looks great. I thought she was just getting old, but maybe it's baby stress! She's a very intuitive dog.

I also have a dachshund who has become obnoxiously protective of me. But he's always been kind of a jerk (and I love him dearly)

ETA: This might be weird, but maybe our lethargic dogs have picked up on our energy as "pack leaders?" I know that I've been slowing down as I'm more pregnant, and it sounds like your husband hasn't been feeling great. Maybe they're just taking cues and mirroring a more tired disposition from the humans in their lives.

I hope your little guy feels better. He's so cute!
  • Options
    My female boxer is super weird around me these days. For the last few weeks she absolutely had to be near me. I'll get home from work and go to sit down and she'll just come over and sit near my chair and stare at me. I'll pet her and give her love and then she'll just go back to staring at me. It's super weird since she's usually very independent or attached to my husband ... either way, I hope nothing is wrong with your pup and that he starts being himself again soon!
  • Options
    My dog peed on the floor yesterday for the first time in a year. Then, he puked on the bed this morning. I don't think he's sick, just acting unusual. Hoping it goes back to normal when baby comes.
  • Options
    Thanks you guys are making me feel a little better. It is my first. He usually is SUPER high energy and follows me around everywhere. I hope he doesn't freak out when the baby is actually born.
    Of course my golden is totally normal.
  • Options
    Sorry your little guy is acting funny! It's good that you had him checked out by the vet & bloodwork came back okay. It's still unnerving when our fuzzies act weird. My dog Zoie is such a Daddy's girl, up until a few weeks ago I didn't even think she liked me, and we've had her for almost 7 years! Now she barks at me if she can't get close to me (like if a pillow is in her way, or there is no room on the chair) and HAS to be touching me whenever possible. She follows me to the bathroom now. It is totally bizarre & I have no way to explain it other than my pregnancy has affected her. Hopefully your pup starts acting like his usual self again soon, it's no fun worrying about him I'm sure.
  • Options
    My puppy (1.5 yrs old) has been SUPER snuggly lately. He's always lazy, but yeah, he's been more so lately too. :)
  • Options
    My dogs are opposite, they are freaking lunatics. Doesn't help that we got a 3 month old puppy last month. I digress. Your bubba could just have caught a bug and isn't feeling well. Or maybe he's giving you a break  :) Hope he feels better soon.
  • Options
    My yellow lab has started acting weird since we did major work in the baby's room two weeks ago. He's lethargic and won't eat his normal food. As soon as we make him a special meal (we are suckers I know) he eats like normal and is ready to go play ball at the dog park or go for a long walk. I think mine is just jealous, hopefully they get back to their happy selves soon!
  • Options
    @ACarter0914 Hehe, bit of both?? Mine does that too!
  • Options
    My cat about a week ago was acting very strange! Very lethargic. We took her the animal hospital (it was after 9 pm) and a huge bill later were told there might be somthing in her stomach but all bloodwork normal as well. She spent the next whole day at the vet and same thing, maybe something in her belly, x rays weren't clear all other tests normal. Another huge bill later and I took her home since I started my maternity leave the next day and could keep an eye on her myself.

She was and has been perfectly fine!!! We were paranoid for nothing! Prob just had a stomach ache lol I doubt it has anything to do with my pregnancy. It was very weird nonetheless.
  • Options
    Taaah! He's onto you :) some feelings of sibling rivalry I suspect. My younger cat has been reacting to the bump like I've given her food she doesn't like. She has once or twice turned her back on me and refused to look at me. So I'll walk around to her face and she'll keep turning away, very snotty. She pulls the same stunt when I go away for too long. My other cat, typically a total love sponge, has become even more needy. They know. They know what time it is.
  • Options
    Your dog is absolutely adorable! Our dogs go through strange phases every now and then.  If he's eating and drinking normally and isn't vomiting, etc. then I wouldn't be too worried. Hope he feels better soon!!
  • Options
    I've heard that dogs can sense when you get close to labor and they know the baby is coming soon. Maybe he is just worried about you and the upcoming event! At least you had him checked out. I would just keep an eye on him and go back to the vet if there are any changes in his diet or elimination habits. Good luck!
  • Options
    TomekiaBTomekiaB member
    edited November 2015
    I've known some mental health therapy dogs (I worked at a place that had canine therapy) and dogs are pretty effective at normalizing mood by seemingly sharing the burden. If you and your DH were both not feeling great, I'd guess the dog was picking up on it and empathizing. My dog is definitely more cuddly when I am sick.

*EDA I'd be more concerned about the dog being sick if the vet hadn't given your puppy a clean bill of health.
  • Options
    I have 2 dogs, I really believe that they know things are changing. We had brought our second home just before finding out we were pregnant. They were fighting a LOT during my second trimester to the point that I contacted the rescue to find a new home for the newer dog (didn't pan out so she is still here). The last two weeks both have become super clingy with me and each other. They know that LO will be here soon