2nd Trimester
Options

ab exercise

I am 14 weeks and attend boot camp 3 times/week. So far I haven't felt the need to modify any exercises, everything feels completely fine to do. When should I start modifying, and what am I supposed to do when they are doing ab work? Am I still okay to do some abs?

Re: ab exercise

• Options
    I do Crossfit and I have since modified my ab work outs to very few to non existent in my 2nd tri (14 weeks) as recommended by our head trainer. I work on legs, arms and lifts mostly. All impact to abdominal area are avoided, either directly (i.e. Sit ups, twists) or indirectly (i.e. Strict planks).

I work out with my DH and he watches me like a hawk :neutral:
  • Options
    tgortney said:
    I do Crossfit and I have since modified my ab work outs to very few to non existent in my 2nd tri (14 weeks) as recommended by our head trainer. I work on legs, arms and lifts mostly. All impact to abdominal area are avoided, either directly (i.e. Sit ups, twists) or indirectly (i.e. Strict planks). I work out with my DH and he watches me like a hawk :neutral:
    Really, no planks? I haven't heard that. I exercise a lot and do barre a couple times a week. The only real modifications I do are nothing flat on my back (but at 14 that should be fine) and no deep twists. I still do light ab exercises, but with a ball behind my back.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't had any problems being on my back yet. I like the idea of an exercise ball though.
  • Options
    I haven't had any problems being on my back yet. I like the idea of an exercise ball though.
    You should really be fine on your back for another month or so (maybe even more) full disclosure, I am not a doctor, so confirm that with someone who is.
  • Options
    tgortneytgortney member
    edited November 2015
    sarahufl said:

tgortney said:

I do Crossfit and I have since modified my ab work outs to very few to non existent in my 2nd tri (14 weeks) as recommended by our head trainer. I work on legs, arms and lifts mostly. All impact to abdominal area are avoided, either directly (i.e. Sit ups, twists) or indirectly (i.e. Strict planks).

I work out with my DH and he watches me like a hawk :neutral:

Really, no planks? I haven't heard that. I exercise a lot and do barre a couple times a week. The only real modifications I do are nothing flat on my back (but at 14 that should be fine) and no deep twists. I still do light ab exercises, but with a ball behind my back.

---------------------------
    As in on your hands or elbows with full body weight, modified with support is okay. Really, if you do class exercises. You should talk to the teacher. My trainer gave a list of modifications for each trimester so that's what I go by.
  • Options
    No abs when you're pregnant, ask for a different exercise form the instructor   
  • Options
    Literally everything I've read, plus discussions with my OB actually recommend very light ab work while pregnant. It's good for your core and promotes balance as well as helping with strength during labor.

There are tons of suggestions you can find online with how to modify existing workouts and add to them.
  • Options
    Pelvic rocks (google if you are confused on how to do them) give you a little ab workout but not much. However, it's great for relieving lower back pain. I learned it from my Bradley method class. Helps a lot.
  • Options
    JMarie1291JMarie1291 member
    edited November 2015
    I do cross fit and lift I as well do barre. Im 28w4d. I keep up with it all. Listen to your body and doctor. Also make sure if you are working out while pregnant increase water and proteins. I am working with a dietitian as well. Your body will tell you when its uncomfortable doing a certain exercise and you should slow down. For me if im in barre and they are concentrated only on abs i go and drink water or work on another exercise on my own. I didn't slow down till about 25 weeks. I still do 75% of core exercises...just no crunches or toe touches
  • Options
    At 25 weeks, I find my ab workout is getting out of bed
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!