(TL; DR at bottom if you don't feel like reading!)
Sorry, ladies. I feel like I've had so many questions the last few days. I don't mean to be a total AW. I know circumcision has come up a lot in previous months but as our due date approaches this is still a topic of conversation for me and my husband and I need some advice after a conversation we had last night. I'm not looking for debate on whether or not circumcision should or should not be done, which is why I'm going to omit our opinions/decisions and just focus on the situation and what I should do about it. I hope I'm still able to get my points across well.
So obviously circumcision is a big decision. As soon as we found out we were having a boy we obviously started discussing both options. For some reason I've always felt that my husband is better suited to make this decision and, while I do have an opinion on it, I've always felt comfortable deferring to him for the final choice. I guess I just felt that because he is a male and he had this decision made for him when he was a baby, and because he has dealt with the repercussions (for lack of a better word) of that decision, that he can relate to the pros and cons a bit more than I can and brings more to the table when it comes to decision making. So, I've told him from the beginning that I have an opinion (and I shared that opinion with him) but that I would back whatever decision he was most comfortable with.
Well last night at dinner he told me that he's not 100% sure yet but that thinks he's made a decision on what he wants to do ... and that decision is the opposite of the opinion/preference that I shared with him. Obviously I knew this would be a possibility but for some reason I just never expected it to actually happen that way (naivety I guess?).
Anyway, I asked him why he was leaning that way just to know what thought process he had gone through and all of his reasons were super vague. He mentioned this and that -- all sort of in passing -- and didn't provide any concrete reasons ... he just "felt" it was the right way to go. And for some reason, I'm struggling with this. I knew that our opinions might not match up but I didn't expect him, someone who has pushed to do research on SO many things the last few months, to not show up with concrete reasons for a big decision like this and to just base it on a feeling. But then again, I base a ton of my decisions on my gut/how I'm feeling so I can't blame him for doing that as well (that's exactly where my opinion/preference on circumcision came from too - simply how I feel about it rather than data).
So I guess my question is this. Do I just say okay since I've told him from the beginning I'll support whatever he wants to do? Do I ask for more solid reasons from him so I can feel a little better about it? I guess I just really didn't expect that we wouldn't see eye to eye on this particular decision. I'm still feeling weird that our opinions don't match on this and I'm not sure if I should just suck it up or pursue the conversation more.
TL; DR: I told DH from Day One that he could have the final say on the circumcision debate and now that he's made it (and our preferences don't match) I'm having a hard time accepting it. Wondering what to do.