October 2015 Moms
Options

How much does lo eat

My lo eats 3 oz sometimes 4oz every 2-3 hours at 4 weeks old..I was told by someone that it's to much that I'm feeding him but I don't think so....how much does your lo eat?

Re: How much does lo eat

• Options
    My baby is 4 weeks as well, he takes 4 oz, and sometimes 5 every 3 1/2 to 4 hours. I asked my pediatrician and she said as long as he seems to want it and isn't spitting up or acting uncomfortable afterwards then it's what he needs.
  • Options
    My LO is 5 weeks. And she eats 4 oz every 3-4 hours. We just increased from 3 to 4 oz recently when she still seemed hungry.
    Although I haven't heard that about the spitting up or uncomfortable afterwards. She spits up little bits and has gas. ...now I'm wondering if it's too much. But her spit up is only little bits and not every feeding....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If your LO is formula fed take heir weight and multiply by 2.5 and that's about how much formula to give. I was worried about over feeding too. But if you keep the bottle parallel to the ground vs tipped the baby will stop when full. I also stop when milk pours out of his mouth. I'm feeding on demand and worried that he was getting too much but when I tracked for a day he had exactly what what I had calculated he needed!
  • Options
    I think they go through a major growth spurt around 4 weeks. Mine was eating 4 oz every 3 hours. Shes now 7 weeks and eats between 2-3 every 2 hours. If theyre not spitting up excessively my pedi said it wasnt too much.
  • Options
    I am exclusively pumping and feed expressed breastmilk. He eats 3oz every 3 hours and goes longer at night. I was trying to feed him 4ozm but saw the Ped yesterday for his one month check up and he said LO should be eating 2-3 ounces every 2 hours still. That sort of annoyed me because I know that many babies eat more than that. He also is fine waiting 3 hours between feelings, so I don't want to push it back to 2 hours if I don't have to.
  • Options
    koriemo said:

I am exclusively pumping and feed expressed breastmilk. He eats 3oz every 3 hours and goes longer at night. I was trying to feed him 4ozm but saw the Ped yesterday for his one month check up and he said LO should be eating 2-3 ounces every 2 hours still. That sort of annoyed me because I know that many babies eat more than that. He also is fine waiting 3 hours between feelings, so I don't want to push it back to 2 hours if I don't have to.

Was he basing his reco on baby's weight gain or just what "should be" done? Unless it's connected to weight gain, I'd keep doing what you're doing.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15