June 2016 Moms

Free-Cell Blood Test(Down syndrome)

2»

Re: Free-Cell Blood Test(Down syndrome)

• @HBamama2B and i was in no way bashing anyone who decided to take the test. I was sharing my opinion, although its obvious you didnt like it very much.
  • Loading the player...
  • @m8881 I found the options and what they tested for so incredibly confusing - even more so when they gave me all the information to read. Some overlap too which makes it more confusing. Your doctor should be able to explain in more detail, but definitely let her/him know if there's anything you're particularly worried about and that can help guide you. 
    I'm 37 as well so am getting the NIPT plus another one (I don't even remember what it's called now - I think it's the one where they combine first and second trimester blood results plus maybe an US). I was overjoyed when I found out I'd likely be able to avoid an amnio!
    Good luck to you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited November 2015
    @Knottie86418473 glad I'm not the only one that found it confusing! DH and I sat down to talk through the different things they test for and possible Dx. It's a lot to chew through. When is your bw? Mine's tomorrow. GL and FX for your test!
  • I just did a quick search of this... I have an almost 2 year old son and just got my InformaSeq results back that said I am having another boy. From what I can tell online (and could be wrong.. lol) the test uses cell free fetal DNA which goes away quickly and is no longer detectable 2 hours after birth. It said fragments of fetal DNA linger for the rest of your life, but the cell free fetal DNA goes away quickly.

I must have misread the study. Totally possible!! A lot of what I read these days is while catering to my toddlers. ☺️ I was wondering how the results for chrosomal abnormalities would be accurate for second+ babies if free cell DNA remained for a long time. Makes much more sense the way you stated it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @HBamama2B - Mine isn't until December 10 with an appt on the 17th for results + US. So another three weeks and a couple days! I so badly wanted to tell the news on Thanksgiving since we'll be with some family, but we'll just wait a few more weeks.
    Thanks for the good wishes, FX for yours as well!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited November 2015
    Thank you! They drew blood tonight. I'm very nervous. Gonna be a rough 14 days. OB was awesome tho and surprised me with an ultrasound, I think to distract me. He said, "well we have this machine here so why not take a quick peek?". Baby was dancing around. First time I got to see it move. I'm over the moon, as a distraction technique it kicked ass.
  • @HBMama2B we are on the same boat! Had my blood work done today & also got a surprise ultrasound! So comforting to see our baby! Good luck these next two weeks! I'll be thinking of you! Look forward to hearing good news soon!
  • @susiec923 hello 2 week wait buddy! Thanks and you too. Yeah surprise ultrasound! Was baby sleeping or moving? GL and FX for you as well!
  • @HBMama2B  &@susiec923 , I also got my blood drawn tonight for the panorama test and they told me 2 weeks as well.  At least I won't be going through the long wait alone :(  Good luck to you both!
  • I got my blood test for this at 10 weeks and getting the NT scan at 12 weeks. The blood test will be able to tell gender. Can't wait !! Results should be in soon since I'm now 11 weeks 3 days.
  • Ok, so I got my blood drawn today for the Harmony test. I was told they will call me ONLY if there is any news to discuss, and that it could take up to two weeks. I was then told if there's no news (everything is negative,) then they will NOT call me, and I will discuss the results with the doctor at my next appointment. 

So I'm like.... "Ummm.... do most pregnant women accept that? Don't they start calling in begging for their results, even though you said not to?" (Because obviously, I'm thinking that is exactly what I'll want to do!) So she admits that, "Yes, its a bit problem for triage, fielding all of those calls."

Ugh. I haven't read of anyone else who was told that they will not receive a call, unless it's bad news. I would really like a call, regardless, just for piece of mind! 

• @june2016baby I don't know if mine actually calls. We have an online portal with test results that I'll be checking incessantly. But if they didn't tell me, I'd be that woman calling and demanding to know. No way could I wait a month without falling into the doubt pit of: they just forgot to tell me! Sorry. This is not helpful, is it? Except to say that I support you calling and demanding answers.
  • mom2beEbbymom2beEbby member
    edited November 2015

june2016baby  my doctor said the same thing and I replied with, ok so I’ll call you every day until I get the results. That’s exactly what I did.

• @HBMama2B he/she was wiggling around ♡ @wedgirl853 how exciting!!!!! Positive thoughts to both of you! XO