Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

My 8 week old only eats 5-6 times a day

My 8 week old nurses 5-6 times a day. He sleeps all night most nights, only waking maybe once to nurse. He weighed 7lbs 5oz at birth and now weighs 17lbs! So I know he's getting the nutrition he needs. It just seems so strange, my 2yr old daughter nursed every 2-3 hours for months. My son can sometimes go 5 hours in the day without nursing and even 7-8 hours at night. My milk supply isn't suffering. He has a decent amount of wet & soiled diapers. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Everything I've read says at least 6 nursing sessions daily, roughly ever 3-4 hours. Right now he's been asleep for 3 1/2 hours and I'm following the "Don't wake a sleeping baby" advice. What do you think?

Re: My 8 week old only eats 5-6 times a day

• Options
    Consider yourself lucky and let it go. Its common for babies over 14lbs to go longer in between. 17lbs is huge for 8 weeks so that's why his sleep schedule/feeding schedule didn't compare to other babies his age. My son is 12 weeks, 13.5 lbs and eats 6 bottles a day and goes anywhere between 3-5 hours between
  • Options
    My nine week old only feeds six times a day and sleeps 7-8 hours at night in a single stretch (the first feed in the morning is hilarious - she furiously eats until she puts herself back to sleep!). My supply hasn't suffered but I will sometimes pump between session to build up a stash.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 10 week old is eating less often as well. He snacks more for comfort and a quick nip. And only really eats a meal maybe 5-6 times a day if that. I call him a nipper napper. He snacks and cat naps all day and some at night. When he does go long between eating it scares me because I don't want my supply to go down! ☺️ Sounds like your guy is thriving so it's probably just a phase. He's becoming more efficient at draining your breast. I try to go with "it's not a problem till it's a problem." Take care!