Infertility
Options

Ugh, Issues with Follistim!

I've been on follistim injections now for 5 days, and my DH and I are having some serious issues with this stupid pen.  Has anyone else experienced issues where it appears to not have administered any medicine?!  I was anticipating having two injections on certain nights occasionally because each vile has 300 IUs and my dosage is 125 IUs... so basically every 3rd night I would need 2 injections (1 to finish out one vile, and then another to get the rest of my dosage from the next vile).  Each night that this has needed to happen, the first injection we gave didn't administer any medicine, even though we are quite sure we loaded it up the same way as the other nights.  We only figured this out by looking at the vile and seeing that there was still medicine in it.  And a completely separate issue: after last night we did the math, and it appears at some point on a previous night I must have taken an additional 25 IUs because we are 25 off from where we should be, even though we have been super careful about setting the pen to 125 each night.  I just don't know what is happening and it's freaking me out!

My DH and I aren't idiots, but yet this pen is seriously throwing us for a loop, and I guess I just needed to vent and see if anyone else on follistim has had similar issues!!  I appreciate your feedback!
***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20

Re: Ugh, Issues with Follistim!

• Options
    I'm currently on day 7 of the follistim pen. Haven't had any issues with it yet but now you got my wondering if the medication is actually being injected. I will need to check and see. I did feel that the trigger for it is easy to push and I accidentally released like 5 out of it. My dosage is 75 per night l. I would contact your doctor in the am just to give them the heads up. This is my first time using this pen.
  • Options
    Don't forget these pens have overfill. So even though it says 300 units, it's probably has more like 325 or 350. Also, make sure it is clicked together all the way. If it isn't all the way closed, it won't administer anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It seems to be working I have 600 uls though
  • Options
    There is actually about 125 extra per vial. My re's office is combining all my used vials together to make "full" vials for me to get more doses out of it. I use a new vial every night as I have a 250 dose. I freaked as I saw a drop of medicine at the end of the needle when I withdrew it. Check with your nurse to be sure you don't have a faulty pen.
  • Options
    Yes, my RE's office also said each pen has more in it than it says. But it you are nervous, definitely contact your office.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies.  I'm super concerned that I have been giving myself extra injections now.  Fortunately I have another ultrasound in the morning so I can talk to them then.

• Options
    What happened @wifeinraleigh28 did you doctor put ur mind at ease and answer ur questions
  • Options
    Yes he did, thanks for checking in @ultratomato!  He did confirm that they always overfill the viles, but actually he said he isn't at all concerned that I took too much of it and would rather I took too much than not enough!  He was also very pleased with my progress and decided to trigger me that same night (which was yesterday).  Our IUI will be in the morning :)

• Options
    @wifeinraleigh28 good luck tomorrow on your iui. I got tomorrow for bw and us. Hoping for a Black Friday iui. Hope they don't say to come in on thanksgiving that will screw up my whole day but I guess I just got to deal with it we can't control our bodies lol
  • Options
    @ultratomato - I was sure my IUI was going to be on Thanksgiving so it was a pleasant surprise that my body decided to mature some follicles a little early!  You're right though, we can't control it.  Just gotta go with the flow, so to speak!