Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Breastfeeding moms and night feeds

laulegerlauleger member
edited November 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
How do you handle night feedings? I go out to the living room to feed my LO but always end up falling asleep. Does everyone who breast feeds end up co-sleeping? I don't feel co-sleeping would work for me but ending up sleeping on the couch isn't the best either...

I've tried watching tv, reading, going through stuff on my phone, etc to stay awake. Nothing seems to help.

Re: Breastfeeding moms and night feeds

• Options
    CO SLEEPING WOULD SAVE YOUR LIFE. I am actually just getting finished feeding my little one. It's 450 am here. I co sleep. I tried the whole wake up go to the rocker blah blah blah routine, it sucks. Before my DD was sleeping for 4 hour stretches she was waking every 2 hours around the clock to nurse I was a zombie so I gave up she eats until she falls asleep. I usually fall asleep or am almost asleep by the time she is done and then she falls asleep on my chest and I eventually move her to the bed next to me.
  • Options
    We co-sleep. They say accidentally falling sleep somewhere else is more dangerous than co-sleeping on purpose, but if it's not for you that wouldn't be good either. You could buy one of those Arms Reach co-sleepers that attaches to your bed? That way you wouldn't actually be co-sleeping, but you wouldn't have to get up either.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our routine when the baby woke up was my husband would go change his diaper and then I would nurse in bed.  I had a c-section so getting up was not very easy those first few weeks and then I just got used to it.  I turned on the tv to keep me semi-awake while nursing and then once he was done/asleep I would put him back in his bassinet which we had right next to my side of the bed.  We did this for almost 6 months (months 4-6 were attempts at going to the crib).  It worked for us.  I never felt ok with him sleeping in the bed with us though until he was older.
  • Options
    I get up and nurse my daughter for her 4am feed, but bring her to bed when she nurses around 7. Sometimes we stay awake, but more often then not, we both drift off the sleep again.