January 2016 Moms

Varicose veins DOWN THERE

I tried searching for a thread on varicose veins, but the only thing that came up was about ones on the legs.

Nope. That's not my problem. I used a mirror to look at my business today...and what a monstrosity. Vulva veins have hit me hard.

Everything down there is so swollen and sore and feels really pressured. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so is there anything to relieve it? I've tried putting a cold compress to it which is definitely soothing, but it doesn't seem to help the issue.

Something tells me I'm gonna have to wait till after I give birth for this problem to go away :((

Re: Varicose veins DOWN THERE

• Same here! I know how it feels. I've had the problem for a few weeks now. It comes and goes. I finally got an advice that seems to help: try to find a creme with the plant called "Hamamelis" (it's the austrian word) in it. I've made an internet search and found "american witch hazel" but I'm not sure about the translation. I hope you'll fond some! It helped me and I hope it will help you too! :-)
  • You are brave to look. I also feel swollen, but I'm chosing to remain ignorant...haha!! I read some place that people freeze maternity pads for after the birth- that might also help you now? Obviously same as a cold compress so not the greatest advice.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think I had this problem postpartum with my first - didn't look ;). I second the witch hazel rec. It's the main ingredient in tucks pads, which they give you at the hospital for recovery. I think they are meant for hemorrhoids, so you can find it in that aisle. The tucks are very convenient and help with inflammation, itching, discomfort... Might as well stock up now :(
  • Thanks so much for your advice ladies! I actually have a bottle of witch hazel that I used to use on my face for complexion, never knew that it could help yucky varicose veins! I'll have to look further into it. And @ashhsa I think freezing the maternity pads is a better idea since they probably stay cold longer and I don't have to sit there and hold my crotch the whole time :D
  • Please let me know if this works! I also have the varicose veins and because of all the swelling I got a yeast infection :/ my doctor told me the cure is delivery.
  • scornwell717scornwell717 member
    edited November 2015
    @stacyanngeorge I will let you know!! I plan on trying the witch hazel so I'll share my thoughts on here :)
    I've had a few yeast infections as well so I totally feel your pain
  • Me too! It's so awful and unsexy. There's not much you can do until after the baby comes, when it should go away on its own. (Varicose veins in legs usually do not go away but these do.)

I also got this weird underwear contraption called V2 Supporter made by It's You Babe off amazon. You pull it on over panties in the morning, preferably before getting out of bed. I didn't expect it to work but it helps a lot. I only have to wear it for a few minutes and it keeps the throbbing and swelling from starting.
  • Just a thought, maybe try making a pad-sicle with witch hazel in it, may be the perfect combo.
  • I was just searching for a thread on varacose veins a few days ago. I ache all day everyday, I stopped wearing thong underpants, helped a lot bit I'm still so uncomfortable. I just order some of those support underpants. I am going to try that witch hazel. Definetly nice to see other woman going through this. It is definetly not a fun topic and my husband does not understand how uncomfortable I am. Also they seem to ache bad at night and keeps me up. Does anyone else have that problem?
  • I never got these with my first, but got them at the beginning of the third tri with my second and of course they returned for this one even earlier. Wearing a support belt of some sort definitely helps, as does icing the area when it's throbbing. The good news is they went away quickly after delivery!
  • @mg137 thanks for that suggestion I'll definitely have to look into that! I'm assuming if they're from Amazon they're not overly pricey?

@kmo8986 I was thinking the same thing but haven't gotten around to try it yet! Sounds really soothing though

I'm glad to hear these pesky things go away shortly after delivery. It's probably my biggest complaint next to back pain :(
  • @mg137 thanks for that suggestion I'll definitely have to look into that! I'm assuming if they're from Amazon they're not overly pricey?

@kmo8986 I was thinking the same thing but haven't gotten around to try it yet! Sounds really soothing though

I'm glad to hear these pesky things go away shortly after delivery. It's probably my biggest complaint next to back pain :(

I don't remember how much they were but I didn't expect them to work so I don't think I would have bought them if they were expensive. Good luck!
  • I bought the baby belly band with the support straps. It has helped so much!!! Definetly feeling better.
  • OMG the hemorrhoids are just about killing me :(  They hurt SO MUCH.  Going to sit on an ice pad now, and look at ordering witch hazel something somewhere... :(  Could cry.
    About me: Daughter turns 4 in Feb 2016... second baby due in mid-Jan 2016!   
  • I have them and haemorrhoids haha, glad to see I'm not alone in my struggles