August 2015 Moms
Options

Tummy time

I have to admit, I haven't been doing tummy time. I hate to see how frustrated and sad my LO gets. If I just do it on my stomachs is that enough? She doesn't get as frustrated....

Re: Tummy time

• Options
    Tummy time is important. At first you can start them easy. Start at however long your LO will tolerate and then aim for a minute longer for each consecutive time. Get down with them and try to entertain them. I personally lay down on my tummy too so my LO and I are face to face.
    As upsetting as it is to see LO frustrated, tummy time is important for them to start working on their coordination and practice using their little muscles.
  • Options
    Being on your stomach also counts as tummy time and if you wear your baby in a carrier that helps them with their neck muscles as well. We do some tummy time on the floor, but not a lot. We lay down inn the recliner and put LO on our tummy and she pushes her body up and lifts her head up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    banfrogbanfrog member
    edited November 2015
    Once your LO can lift their head up and push up, they need to start doing tummy time on the floor. Just on you stomach works well when they are still working on neck strength, but they do need the on the floor tummy time so that they can start rolling around and working on those muscles. They need to work on those muscles so they can eventually can sit up and then sit up unsupported. Also, providing opportunities of unheld face to face play time at this point is good for their development. My DS2 participated in a groundbreaking study regarding this. It was really neat.
    https://www.newswise.com/articles/want-your-baby-to-learn-research-shows-sitting-up-helps
  • Options
    Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. We do tummy time on the floor too, but not a lot. Maybe once a day. Thanks for sharing. I will start doing it more. I didn't know it had to be on the floor.
  • Options
    No problem. It's something that is relatively new. With my first, only 4 1/2 years ago, tummy time was recommended at 2+ months. Now they advise to do it right away. I believe tummy time on your stomach still counts, but only until about 2 - 3 months, while they are still working on neck control and before they can roll over (front to back and back to front) and are more aware of what's around them.
  • Options
    If your LO really dislikes it, aim to get in the habit of doing it after every diaper change. I put my LO on her tummy in her crib while I go wash my hands. If she's happy I'll let her play there a bit longer. If not, she at least got a couple minutes in.